Well, here's a study which tells us what we already knew.

2Far

• 4 years later...
4 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Damn straight.  What has this new generation come to.  <spittoon>

I guess it is our payback for being such shits. :D  Actually I was a very good kid. My parents were lucky. :)  I did do some dumb things though and I am eternally grateful that I and others lived through them unmaimed.  

3 minutes ago, Philander Seabury said:

I guess it is our payback for being such shits. :D  Actually I was a very good kid. My parents were lucky. :)  I did do some dumb things though and I am eternally grateful that I and others lived through them unmaimed.  

Do not attempt an excuse for the current bad behavior by pointing the finger at the faults of other generations.  The current generation is quite capable of doing that on their own.

4 hours ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I’m not sure I’d want to bet on the driving abilities of a 60-74 age group.

Well, they are usually better than the 75-100 age group, and certainly way better than the 101+ crowd!

On 2/15/2017 at 1:00 PM, 2Far said:

I'm betting, now that it is 2021, the post-Millennials are probably nudging the "Young Millennials" out of first place.  And someday, the post-post-Millennials will take their place, and so on and so forth until the post-Teslanians are the dominant and sole group.

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

I'm betting, now that it is 2021, the post-Millennials are probably nudging the "Young Millennials" out of first place.  And someday, the post-post-Millennials will take their place, and so on and so forth until the post-Teslanians are the dominant and sole group.

Considering now and even back then the term "Millennials" was a catch all to the youthful generation. Writers are just too lazy to ascribe the correct generational designations. 

Generation timeline.svg

A "millennial", myself included, is someone currently aged somewhere between 40yrs old to 25 years old.

34 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Yep.  I expect that soon we will find out that GenZ drivers are even more dangerous than Millennials.  The latter however still have more money to buy hotter cars.

Yep.  Probably just simpler to state "young drivers, with less experience and higher tolerance for risk, are more dangerous."  Middle aged folks tend to have the benefit of experience but also lowering risk tolerances, so they are the sweet spot of safe but sane.

I think drivers of ALL ages are much worse now that before.

Some of it is cell phone usage - my last fender-bender occurred when I was stopped at a light and the guy behind me was text messaging and didn't notice me in time.

But a lot of it includes no blinkers - even when they're really needed, people passing you and then beginning to move into your lane before their vehicle has even passed your car, and people trying to pass cars at 90 mph using an exit lane and then forcing themselves back into the slow lane before the exit lane ends.

I'll be stopped at a light at a one-lane-each-way road and a driver trying to exit a gas station pulls up to the car stopped in front of me.  There's a long line behind me and I would gladly wait and motion the guy leaving the gas station to get onto the road in front of me.

BUT, the son of a bitch can't be bothered to put a blinker on so I don't know if he wants to go the direction I'm going or if he wants to cross the road in front of me and wait for an opening in the lane going the other way, holding up me and the traffic behind me.

So I don't let him in and get a scowl from him as I drive past.  I wish I had windows that could flash messages and say to him, "Use your blinker, idiot, so people know which way you want to go!"

• Haha 1

21 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

I think drivers of ALL ages are much worse now that before.

It certainly is a challenging time with folks attention constantly pulled away from driving.

Luckily, cars get smarter and safety measures get better, but that barely stays ahead of the increase in lack of attention, and to some degree feeds it.  Autonomous cars are closer everyday, so folks may soon be chauffeured around and can freely surf the web, nap, or enjoy a good book while "driving" to their destinations.