OK, in defense of our Dear Leader......

Kzoo

Admittedly, I don't like parodies.  It is my opinion that it makes this place less fun.  It feels like my threads are not appreciated, and that I am being made fun of.

An example is like when the parody is much more popular than the original thread.  It really feels like my threads are not enjoyed by our community.

• Heart 4

12 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Admittedly, I don't like parodies.  It is my opinion that it makes this place less fun.  It feels like my threads are not appreciated, and that I am being made fun of.

An example is like when the parody is much more popular than the original thread.  It really feels like my threads are not enjoyed by our community.

I see no reason why we can't be selective.  If we all know that DH doesn't like her threads parodied, then why can't we just refrain from parodying hers?  Mine are fair game.  Most of the people that parody here know who does and does not like it.  Why can't we just be adults and show respect to those who don't like them?  Seems like common sense is all that is needed here.

• Heart 2

Kzoo, this is what YOU posted in DH's thread about here arms yesterday...

"This has Parody material written all over it. "

I do a parody today about muscles on my branches, and that is all it takes for Wheels to mobilize and declare these parodies a terrible thing

so fuck you and the horse you rode in on pal

52 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I see no reason why we can't be selective.  If we all know that DH doesn't like her threads parodied, then why can't we just refrain from parodying hers?  Mine are fair game.  Most of the people that parody here know who does and does not like it.  Why can't we just be adults and show respect to those who don't like them?  Seems like common sense is all that is needed here.

Common sense.  Aye, there's the rub.  Somebody nailed it earlier.  There used to be great parodies here.  Lately, just cheap copies of parodies.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I'm glad that parodies aren't banned.  We do tend to go overboard with them, as we do here with most things.  But I think they are fun at times.  Maybe we can stop the parodies of serious subjects and only do parodies of stupid threads, like most of mine are.  :)

What serious stuff?

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

You see what happens?  You are too goddamned sensitive!    Parodies are the sincerest form of flattery, and every damn one of us have been parodied, you aren't being singled out at all.  It should be obvious that everyone likes your threads and everyone likes you, and that you should lighten the fuck up, Francis!

Any thread is a good thread if it sparks laughter or discussion or a different non-parody thread, which several have for me.  We can't be walking on eggshells about this kind of thing, parodies are a "roll with it" kind of thing.

Now I realize that asking you to "lighten the fuck up" might spark a different result from you, but everybody loves you, and everybody knows you don't like parodies, so that is like catnip in a way.  Parodynip, if you will.

You should probably just change your name to 'Parodynips', now that I think of it.

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

You see what happens?  You are too goddamned sensitive!    Parodies are the sincerest form of flattery, and every damn one of us have been parodied, you aren't being singled out at all.  It should be obvious that everyone likes your threads and everyone likes you, and that you should lighten the fuck up, Francis!

Any thread is a good thread if it sparks laughter or discussion or a different non-parody thread, which several have for me.  We can't be walking on eggshells about this kind of thing, parodies are a "roll with it" kind of thing.

Now I realize that asking you to "lighten the fuck up" might spark a different result from you, but everybody loves you, and everybody knows you don't like parodies, so that is like catnip in a way.  Parodynip, if you will.

Come on RG.  You're holding back.  Tell it like you see it.

3 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I agree that they seem to be excessive lately. 

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

There used to be great parodies here.  Lately, just cheap copies of parodies.

You know when new influences kind of dwindle, like when some of the regular posters aren't here and you go with what worked in the past?  You feel like "I have been down that same hole a thousand times", and the last thing you want to do is be a sex god at the moment.   You still perform, but you really aren't in the most creative mood and you just kind of mail it in a little?  

Maybe that is the cause of excessive parodies recently, trying to make something out of the ingredients at hand rather than going outside and immersing yourself in new influences.  New influences like the first time you wore the silk boxers and the loose pants on the crowded subway, and you have to stand directly in front of a seated woman because all of the other seats are taken.  The train starts slightly swaying as it gets underway, so you start slightly swaying against the silky fabric, and you notice that the women in front of you is really attractive and only about 10 inches away from your crotch.  Interesting thoughts fill your head, and your pants start to get tighter while you think "I hope she doesn't notice... but I kind of hope she does", and then you go home after you get off that train and bang the hell out of whoever you are with like the vikings did after they sacked Wessex for the first time.

I think we all need to step on that train from time to time.

• Heart 2

29 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

You should probably just change your name to 'Parodynips', now that I think of it.

Parodies are fun for some.  Unfortunately they tend to think that they are, of course, fun for all.  DH has made her opinion known and lighten up isn't her responsibility.  I've done a couple of parodies on DH threads but I think I've learned not to anymore.

RG, no one should dictate to me how I should or should not feel about something.  I don't like parodies, and that is how I feel on the matter.  It's annoying. 

Telling me to "Lighten the Fuck up, Francis." isn't going to change the way I feel. 

So you can just lighten the fuck up on me, about this matter.  I never said shit to SW about it.  He decided to post the sticky about parodies.  Apparently, he doesn't like them either.  It's my prerogative to say what I think.  You, or no one else is going to stop me.  

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Telling me to "Lighten the Fuck up, Francis." isn't going to change the way I feel. 

But reassuring you about how everybody feels about you should help take the sting out.  Can you parody some threads and see the fun in it?  The first time I was parodied on the LF in about 2001 or so, I thought "You dick!" (not about you, I forget who it was).  I stepped away for a bit and thought about it, and realized it was pretty funny.  It really wasn't about me, it was about the moment.  If you kill the moment, you kill the spontaneity, and you start editing everything you say or do, sanitizing things for ANY shred that could be considered offensive, and you end up with 'Precious Moments" dolls and "Family Circus" as your cultural references.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

If you kill the moment, you kill the spontaneity, and you start editing everything you say or do, sanitizing things for ANY shred that could be considered offensive, and you end up with 'Precious Moments" dolls and "Family Circus" as your cultural references.

Excellent point.  The more we restrict ourselves, even if with the best of intentions, the duller this place gets.

• Heart 2

9 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

It was great prose.  I'm just not riding on that train and certainly not with you.  Have you ever been arrested under morals and scruples laws.

It is no crime to think substantial thoughts about attractive chicks on the subway!

10 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

Are you still married?

FeRW was the beneficiary of some of those moments on the train, as was the quarrelsome ex.