Whatever happened to Hacker?

Road Runner

1 minute ago, Indy said:

That dude freaking lost it when this site started.  Never seen someone take a forum move so personally, like he owned the old one and it was his baby.

Yeah, that was a bit weird.  I always got along ok with him, but I was the devil after that.

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, that was a bit weird.  I always got along ok with him, but I was the devil after that.

You weren't the only one.  Caught me off guard as he always came off as a kind of goofy happy go lucky type to me.

And then seeing his reaction, actually had me worried considering his collection he had.  Not for myself personally, but in general due to the apparent lack of stability.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Indy said:

You weren't the only one.  Caught me off guard as he always came off as a kind of goofy happy go lucky type to me.

And then seeing his reaction, actually had me worried considering his collection he had.  Not for myself personally, but in general due to the apparent lack of stability.

I didn't see the lack of stability, I just saw how angry he got at me and SW's and about the LF.  I coudn't quite figure it, people had been moaning about the progressively bad software and treatment of us at the other place for years, and it was obvious that the forums weren't a priority at Rodale.   At the end of the day, you can choose to stay in a bad place and get treated poorly, or move en masse to a better place that is better run by SW's, someone you know is more responsive and wants to do the right thing.  Pretty much everybody came over here for a reason, I just can't imagine staying for no compelling reason.

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I didn't see the lack of stability, I just saw how angry he got at me and SW's and about the LF.  I coudn't quite figure it, people had been moaning about the progressively bad software and treatment of us at the other place for years, and it was obvious that the forums weren't a priority at Rodale.   At the end of the day, you can choose to stay in a bad place and get treated poorly, or move en masse to a better place that is better run by SW's, someone you know is more responsive and wants to do the right thing.  Pretty much everybody came over here for a reason, I just can't imagine staying for no compelling reason.

Irrational anger, which it was very irrational, is a lack of stability, especially the degree to which the anger was displayed.

And yes, the Rodale software sucked, it just go worse every iteration.  The best was the old original threaded view style so you could easily follow replies and discussions within the topic.  But we kept adjusting up until the last version which just the entire format and style actually gave me headaches, so I was forced to reduce my time there anyways.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I just saw how angry he got at me and SW's and about the LF.

It wasn't just Hacker.  I spoke with several people who stayed who expressed their sincere rage at you for leaving the LF.  They seemed to feel that you were the lynch pin of the insurrection and blamed you for ruining the LF.  I tried reasoning with them, but their anger was quite real. 

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

It wasn't just Hacker.  I spoke with several people who stayed who expressed their sincere rage at you for leaving the LF.  They seemed to feel that you were the lynch pin of the insurrection and blamed you for ruining the LF.  I tried reasoning with them, but their anger was quite real. 

It's hard reasoning with Liberals.  Yup, I'm picking up with Nate left off.

They mean well but they are mentally unstable. It's true.

Kim

• Heart 3

Rodale's software got even worse, if that can be imagined.  If you get logged you, it seems your only option is to create a new profile.  Once that gets logged out, it seems you need to just keep creating new profiles.  I've seen several posts where people are begging for help, and not getting it.  It's really a shame.  Everyone is still welcome here, heck, we even let that @ParodyKilledCouch guy in.

• Heart 2

Just now, Square Wheels said:

Rodale's software got even worse, if that can be imagined.  If you get logged you, it seems your only option is to create a new profile.  Once that gets logged out, it seems you need to just keep creating new profiles.  I've seen several posts where people are begging for help, and not getting it.  It's really a shame.  Everyone is still welcome here, heck, we even let that @ParodyKilledCouch guy in.

I'm not here for long.  Especially if you ban me or someone starts posting parody threads.

Kim

• Heart 2

I must admit I was torn. Right in two. I'm a very loyal person, but enough is enough. Hollywood could make a fascinating movie about the angst I had over making the switch. It could be called BuffJim's angst, maybe Leonardo Di Caprio could play me.

• Heart 4

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

I must admit I was torn. Right in two. I'm a very loyal person, but enough is enough. Hollywood could make a fascinating movie about the angst I had over making the switch. It could be called BuffJim's angst, maybe Leonardo Di Caprio could play me.

Yep.  The day you left, the LF was doomed for sure.  Almost as bad as when you moved from Florida to Buffalo.   :(

• Heart 4

3 minutes ago, ParodyKilledCouch said:

I'm not here for long.  Especially if you ban me or someone starts posting parody threads.

Kim

If a parody happens, it will not be on my watch.  I have applied at Starbucks as coffee grinder, at the carwash as a wheel washer.  As soon as I find a paying gig, I am out of here.  You heard of any work for robots around where you live or do you just use forced labor?

4 minutes ago, parodybot said:

If a parody happens, it will not be on my watch.  I have applied at Starbucks as coffee grinder, at the carwash as a wheel washer.  As soon as I find a paying gig, I am out of here.  You heard of any work for robots around where you live or do you just use forced labor?

Starbucks sucks.

Kim

• Heart 1

I came over here, cause if someone was nice enough to start this portal, I figured I would at least give it a try.  I enjoyed the democratic way changes were implemented and felt that there was less bullying over here.  I stopped back a few times afterwards to say hello over there, and it was like I had the scarlet letter on my forehead.  Barely anyone would speak to me. 

I don't have time for double duty.  I gave up posting over there.

Hackier is still my FB buddy.  He hasn't dropped me there.  He has some funny picture posts with his lady.  

• Heart 2

12 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I, for one, am glad that we don't have any forum bullies here.

Did someone ban SW?  Hope he still keeps paying the bills even if he's now banned.

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Ah, Rodale ruined the LF, I pointed that out to them at each software change.  The forum moved over here, except for those who wanted to be mad at someone.  Those that stayed had every option to come over in the first wave, were implored to come over, and were made to know and continue to be made to know that they are welcome here should they want to come here by pretty much everyone.  

You can lead a horse to dehydrated water, but you can't make them unpowder it.

• Heart 2

And I never got it, so many of them acted like they had a personal stake in rodale and the success of the forum.  It was really strange some people's connection with the site more so than those that they have posted with and talked to for years.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Indy said:

And I never got it, so many of them acted like they had a personal stake in rodale and the success of the forum.  It was really strange some people's connection with the site more so than those that they have posted with and talked to for years.

They didn't want to restart their post count?

Dunno, I haven't been able to login (except with my very old laptop) for more than a year. Site won't recognize my email addy, yet when I login with the old computer, that's the only email they have.

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

They didn't want to restart their post count?

Dunno, I haven't been able to login (except with my very old laptop) for more than a year. Site won't recognize my email addy, yet when I login with the old computer, that's the only email they have.

When we first came over here I used to go back and post occasionally but the place was a cesspool. I tried to lighten up the atmosphere a little but then it got to where I couldn't log in.  It wasn't worth my time to try to fight my way back in. It's been a long time since I was able to get in, I haven't tried for months.

41 minutes ago, Indy said:

And I never got it, so many of them acted like they had a personal stake in rodale and the success of the forum.

I can kind of understand it if I think about it a different way, but you have to get real twisted in this scenario, so stay with me here...

Imagine that those who stayed felt like the LF was a family member, and they knew it early on when it was still cute and big-eyed and could barely walk, and it grew and flowered with their effort.  Then it became a teenager, and like all teenagers, it had growing pains.  A few mishaps here and there, a couple of "I'll try harder"s and all is forgiven, right?  It had lovely parents and came from a good home, you see.

But it didn't get better, it got worse.  Animals around the neighborhood go missing after playing with the LF, the neighborhood kids don't want anything to do with it, but it is family, and you will stick with it while you put it through therapy.  

Later there is bullying and those missing animals turn up skinned and sodomized, then a few B & E's, then aggravated assault arrests, and you know there is no way you can reach this forum, it is too late.  But like a deer in the headlights, you stay and watch the drowning rats scramble for anything to float on, while the forum punches out your grandmother and you know you should tell it to never come back because you know the next time, grandma isn't going to get off with a just a concussion and a broken pelvis.   

Anyway, that is one scenario where I see people being able to stay, an aversion to the reality of the situation, one where the forum is coming for them next.

• Heart 2

7 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I can kind of understand it if I think about it a different way, but you have to get real twisted in this scenario, so stay with me here...

Imagine that those who stayed felt like the LF was a family member, and they knew it early on when it was still cute and big-eyed and could barely walk, and it grew and flowered with their effort.  Then it became a teenager, and like all teenagers, it had growing pains.  A few mishaps here and there, a couple of "I'll try harder"s and all is forgiven, right?  It had lovely parents and came from a good home, you see.

But it didn't get better, it got worse.  Animals around the neighborhood go missing after playing with the LF, the neighborhood kids don't want anything to do with it, but it is family, and you will stick with it while you put it through therapy.  

Later there is bullying and those missing animals turn up skinned and sodomized, then a few B & E's, then aggravated assault arrests, and you know there is no way you can reach this forum, it is too late.  But like a deer in the headlights, you stay and watch the drowning rats scramble for anything to float on, while the forum punches out your grandmother and you tell it to never come back because you know the next time, grandma isn't going to get off with a just a concussion and a broken pelvis.   

Anyway, that is one scenario where I see people being able to stay, an aversion to the reality of the situation, one where the forum is coming for them next.

Used in a sentence....... RG could stand to be just a bit more laconic.

6 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Ok, mister smart guy from Michigan, you edit it for me!  Everybody needs editors, you see.

Done....

I can kind of understand it if I think about it a different way, one where the forum is coming for them next.

Just now, Randomguy said:

Bah, you missed the whole essence of the thing.  You don't want to be banished to the LF, believe me!

Essence smessence......  Say what ya come ta say and then shut up.

You rambled on about neighborhood kids and grandmothers and breaking and entering and animals.  You used 279 words to say what I did in 23.