I apologize

Square Wheels

Yes, it's true I am gluten-free and have mentioned it many times.  That is not by choice, I was diagnosed with Celiac over 10 years ago.

I also have itchy skin, depression and an impossibly painful bladder.  None of these things have been resolved through traditional medicine, nor acupuncture.  I've seen more doctors and taken more medication than I can remember.

I've decided to try eating better, and suspect it will take me a long time to get there.  My goal is to remove all animal protein and dairy, I guess that would be vegan.  Not sure if I'll be able to accomplish it.

There is a lot of evidence that meat and dairy are not healthful for humans, and in fact is very harmful.  There is no evidence that it is healthful.

I'll give this a try for a year or more and see if anything gets better.

While on this journey, I will not burden you with it, nor comment on your hideous choices of food.

• Heart 3

I don't think any of your problems that you mentioned are going to be cured by eliminating dairy and meat from your diet.  However, it probably won't hurt you either.  Just make sure you get the vitamins, minerals and proteins you need that you will be missing by cutting out meat and dairy.  I'm sure you are aware of this, but it was harder than I imagined when I tried it.  I tried going completely vegan for awhile and for me, eating became a chore, constantly trying to make sure I was still getting all of my essential daily dietary requirements.  Good luck.

On the flip side of your thoughts that a vegan diet may help your problems, I sometimes think that some of my bone and spinal problems might be due in part to my "healthy" (low fat, very little meat, no dairy) diet that I have been on for the last ten years.  Stuff like this is a crap shoot and the final results are hard to determine.  Too many factors in play.  Just my opinion.   

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Try not be overly sensitive. I was trying to joke with you, because you have brought it up a bunch lately. I hope you can figure out things to make you healthiest. We like you, so don't fret so much.

In regards to my "hideous" choices for eating some meats and dairy in my diet, there are studies that show positive things from those foods. Tread lightly of course, I am not talking about eating like most Americans do. My lab work, numbers, and health paint a picture of very healthy person. Despite my hideous choices.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Yes, it's true I am gluten-free and have mentioned it many times.  That is not by choice, I was diagnosed with Celiac over 10 years ago.

I also have itchy skin, depression and an impossibly painful bladder.  None of these things have been resolved through traditional medicine, nor acupuncture.  I've seen more doctors and taken more medication than I can remember.

I've decided to try eating better, and suspect it will take me a long time to get there.  My goal is to remove all animal protein and dairy, I guess that would be vegan.  Not sure if I'll be able to accomplish it.

There is a lot of evidence that meat and dairy are not healthful for humans, and in fact is very harmful.  There is no evidence that it is healthful.

While on this journey, I will not burden you with it, nor comment on your hideous choices of food.

What I will put in my mouth would surprise most of you.

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Hmm, shut up and listen, ok?

First, it is interesting hearing about diet and exercise and how they affect pretty damn much everything.  I will personally be pissed if you don't talk about it, because if you talk about things I don't agree with, then I may learn something new and interesting or will give us all new things to tease about, which is fun!  We wouldn't do it if we didn't like you, you know, and eating better is something that all of us are interested in.  Same with the Mt. Washington stuff, I find this all very interesting and it is a quest we also are all interested in, at least vicariously.  I am looking forward to hearing about how the coaching experience is guiding the process along and what results you are seeing along the way.  The other things you have going on make you an individual and help us know you, and again, it is nice to know more than just you started a forum, you know?

Secondly, I don't think there is any evidence that meat consumption is bad for you, at least the kind that we evolved with.  Dairy I am not so sure about in one way or another, I am still looking for credible evidence that points to anything, or at least anecdotal evidence that it is bad for us.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I've tried that before. It's heavily processed, tastes terrible and I was not smart for buying it.

These days, I treat bacon as a twice a year, cheat meal.  Even then, limiting the slices to one or two pieces at most.

I am sorry that you are clinically insane.  If you are gonna cheat, cheat your ass off with 4 pieces of bacon.

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Sorry there's lots of evidence that eating a balanced diet including dairy and meat is healthy for most humans. Any diet taken to excess can be unhealthy including a vegan one.

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

As I have said before, I think diet is way overrated as a "health" determining factor.  Within reason, of course.  A decent diet, no smoking, no excessive drinking and keeping your weight down will do just fine.  

You forgot to mention not walking on train tracks with ear phones while listening to loud music.

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

1 hour ago, AirwicksHornyAunt said:

I am sorry that you are clinically insane.  If you are gonna cheat, cheat your ass off with 4 pieces of bacon.

Clinically insane?  Really?  

Two pieces is a cheat, but maybe I can fit in three pieces.  It depends on the cut of the bacon.  Two pieces can be a lot of bacon for me. 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Dirtyhip said:

Clinically insane?  Really?  

Two pieces is a cheat, but maybe I can fit in three pieces.  It depends on the cut of the bacon.  Two pieces can be a lot of bacon for me. 

I know two things.  How to be slutty and how to eat bacon.  I often combine my two areas of expertise.  I stand by my comment.  If you are gonna cheat with bacon, do it right.  A nice cup of black coffee, a couple of eggs, some toast with butter and 4 slices of crisp thick cut bacon.  If you can get a guy with nice abs to bring it to you in bed, even better.  You can let him lick the crumbs off you later.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Take comfort from the fact that you may have these complaints but even at your peak you were a pretty ordinary Joe......right?

At one time I was a young God....oh yes...perfection in human form I tell you..........but now I have so many complaints that you lack the bandwidth for me to detail them. What you have to do is to be philosophical about this and think how lucky you are that even in your best condition this didn't amount to very much.

I'm sure that now you've read my post you feel a lot more cheerful but feel free to ask if I can be of further help. 

Just now, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Mt. Washington was worth it just to see that pic of the 4 tooth chainring. That was awesome!  :D

How did I miss that?  I knew he installed a tiny chainring but never saw a picture of it.  Zealot was telling me that he had suggested it to SWs as the only way to go.

Just now, Longjohn said:

How did I miss that?  I knew he installed a tiny chainring but never saw a picture of it.  Zealot was telling me that he had suggested it to SWs as the only way to go.

I may have exaggerated just a tad but it was teeny!  I'll see if I can google it up.

• Heart 1

Thinking about the tiny chain ring got me thinking about Zealot and that got me thinking about "The Adventure".  We have some really cool and interesting people on the forum.  I would do an adventure with those same people in a heartbeat. Next time we have to manage a way to get Further and Old#7 to go and DP needs to make sure Mike goes again too.  Mr. & Mrs. Z really left an impression on me, I am so glad they went.  I already expect TK and Ralph to be Awesome, they don't play games and hide who they are.  I'm ready to do another SW's adventure this summer.

• Heart 3

• 1 year later...
On March 3, 2017 at 7:58 PM, Longjohn said:

Thinking about the tiny chain ring got me thinking about Zealot and that got me thinking about "The Adventure".  We have some really cool and interesting people on the forum.  I would do an adventure with those same people in a heartbeat. Next time we have to manage a way to get Further and Old#7 to go and DP needs to make sure Mike goes again too.  Mr. & Mrs. Z really left an impression on me, I am so glad they went.  I already expect TK and Ralph to be Awesome, they don't play games and hide who they are.  I'm ready to do another SW's adventure this summer.

Good afternoon,  @Longjohn.  This (the great adventure) actually came up in conversation at work this week. And I expressed how impressed I was at your stamina and enthusiasm for adventure and life! It made an impression on me as well. Mrs Z and I do work as a team, but we've had a lot of practice. :-)

I hope we (anyone who might be interested) can do something in the near future.

Peace

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

On 3/3/2017 at 5:29 AM, Square Wheels said:

Burden us.  Those that oppose will get over it.  I too am a carnivore but I do agree with you the health benefits probably outweigh not eating meat.  Particularly if I had a medical condition it would make the transition easier.  I just happen to really like bacon, a good chop, and turkey. Well, and chicken and pork.  And steak.  Ribs are pretty bad ass too.

• Heart 1

I also like intelligent discourse aboot food.  I consider myself lucky that I love veggies and am not that crazy aboot meat, but even with that bent, living in this country makes it tough to choose wisely.  OK, maybe not THAT tough, definitely a first world problem.  OK, I'll get off my ass and eat right. :D  I did have a beet salad with my beer last night at the brewpub. :)  But I had to steal some fries to fill myself.

• Heart 1
  • Awesome 1

Just now, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Well technically french fries are veggies!  Just not very healthy ones.  I was disappointed, I ordered the large beet salad and it was microscopic. :rolleyes:

Yes, they are indeed.  But it's still applicable to my point.  Veggie diets are great for you -- they just don't fill me up.  You?

2 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Amazing how we have this romantic picture of excellent food in Europe.

For the most part, it was terrible in Greece.  We were in Athens for a couple of days, then a small island.  There was one place the gang went to that was terrific.  The lady brought you in her kitchen, showed you what was available, and you discussed what you'd like to eat.  I heard it was fantastic - I was not feeling well that night.

• Sad 1

17 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

That post was a year ago.  In April of 17 I went vegan, I only strayed when I went to Greece.  It was either that or starve.

After a year of this diet, how are things going with the bladder, diet and health?  You wanted to see if things got better for you.  What is the conclusion?

Like, bloodwork better or worse? 

My best results was after cutting out the sugar.  My cholesterol was super low and prize worthy.  My doc was impressed with the stats. 

• Awesome 2