I apologize

Square Wheels

9 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I would say KF is super conservative, no?

You are correct.   It can be a little troublesome for people that are not.  I think Oakridge will be quite conservative as well.  Their votes would be overshadowed by Eugene most likely.

For myself, I am a moderate.  With a lefty lean. 

9 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Oh Zealot, it breaks my heart, that my niece who lost her mother, my sister, admitted that as a child she found it hard to admit as a CHILD that she was half-Chinese. She relays this story of trying explain to her grade two teacher.  Looking back, she wonders why she was denying something so frickin' so obvious.

Now she is VERY proud to be half Chinese..but her mother is no longer here. 

As an aunt yes, I have taken to telling her what family stories I know.

No child should ever have to feel shame over such things. Breaks my heart as well. 

And it is good to hear that you are now passing on the stories that are her heritage. :-)

• Heart 3

I went to the U.S. Census ..it didn't seem clear ..maybe there's another resource at that website.  I actually don't expect some people to appreciate some hard realities...maybe until one marries of a different race. It becomes a bigger when one has interracial children when decisions are made what to teach the children, explain different sides of the family or dealing with stares from curious strangers.  

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/portland-population/

image.png.4eac2e3422e0b0127ba8cf7ea1c69756.png

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I went to the U.S. Census ..it didn't seem clear ..maybe there's another resource at that website.  I actually don't expect some people to appreciate some hard realities...maybe until one marries of a different race. It becomes a bigger when one has interracial children when decisions are made what to teach the children, explain different sides of the family or dealing with stares from curious strangers.  

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/portland-population/

image.png.4eac2e3422e0b0127ba8cf7ea1c69756.png

Yes, white is the majority in Portland.  Just like some areas have other ethnicities where they are the majority.  

Your comment was still a racist one, only it was racist against whites. 

It just reality and fact, Dirtyhip on the surface. 

Yea, it feels homogenous to be in some cities and rural areas ..even my present city is like that. The visible minorities are too quiet and don't articulate enough some of the challenges here. But in 10 yrs. it may be different.

It's like Chinatown can be full of Asians. Should I be denying that?  Not Chinese. Because Filipinos, Vietnamese go there to get groceries too.  Even I can't tell them apart until they speak. ;)  Or tell me their last name...which is only a clue. Can be inaccurate.  I know a Cambodian Canadian who took on her Chinese-Canadian hubby's name.

I went to a museum here and looked at all the information explaining the Northwest Pacific native Indians, Plains Indians and woodland Indlans of which there are probably what....over 300 cultural groups, languages among the native Indians across North America.

Duh, me....realized it's just like the Asians....big differences among Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Thai, Vietnamese, Burmese, Indonesian, Malaysian, Filpino (which I have been mistaken for that), etc. ...we look similar :flirtyeyess:...but vastly different in so many ways.  

And Chinese from carribbean are quite different (they have wonderful English patois) from North America or from Malaysia, Australia.

3 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

It just reality, Dirtyhip.

It's like Chinatown can be full of Asians.  Not Chinese. Because Filipinos, Vietnamese go there to get groceries.  Even I can't tell them apart. ;)

I never denied that there is a majority of Caucasian people in Portland. It was just a shame that it is so easy for people to toss around racist comments. 

You said the area was too white.  LOL

We must apologize to SQ wheels for contorting this thread from vegan diet to...race relations and then to bakeries.  I hope to visit an all matcha tea bakery and teahouse in Kyoto, Japan. Pastries of course are green.  Not surprisingly one can buy...green food colour dye. :whistle: Plus choice of different matcha tea.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

We must apologize to SQ wheels for contorting this thread from vegan diet to...race relations and then to bakeries.  I hope to visit an all matcha tea bakery and teahouse in Kyoto, Japan. Pastries of course are green.  Not surprisingly one can buy...green food colour dye. :whistle: Plus choice of different matcha tea.

Bring some back, please.

• Heart 1

30 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I never denied that there is a majority of Caucasian people in Portland. It was just a shame that it is so easy for people to toss around racist comments. 

You said the area was too white.  LOL

...have you ever wondered why that is the reality of today's Portland ? My nephew (very white) and his soon to be wife (half white/ half Mexican from SoCal) live there now.

So it came up once as a topic if discussion at a holiday get together (up at Tahoe, IIRC). The city of Portland has a very troubled racist past in  terms of blacks.

It's something that still comes up in the workings of the city's social fabric even all these years later.  Today's Portland is so very white for some troubling reasons.

Here's a link to a brief history:

The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America

lead_960_540.jpg?1522792715

I'm guessing this probably ought to have gone into the P+R some time back.  But let's not kid ourselves about the history of the place.

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...have you ever wondered why that is the reality of today's Portland ? My nephew (very white) and his soon to be wife (half white/ half Mexican from SoCal) live there now.

So it came up once as a topic if discussion at a holiday get together (up at Tahoe, IIRC). The city of Portland has a very troubled racist past in  terms of blacks.

It's something that still comes up in the workings of the city's social fabric even all these years later.  Today's Portland is so very white for some troubling reasons.

Here's a link to a brief history:

The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America

lead_960_540.jpg?1522792715

I'm guessing this probably ought to have gone into the P+R some time back.  But let's not kid ourselves about the history of the place.

Yep. Liberals who want diversity in your town... just not theirs.

• Heart 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Yep. Liberals who want diversity in your town... just not theirs.

...not sure it's that. the way it was explained to me by the girl from SoCal is that the liberal hipsters who have taken over the place mean well, but are completely clueless about why it was like that when they showed up there, and any of the history of how it got that way.  And now a lot of it is too damn expensive for blacks and other minorities to move back into the inner reaches of the city, so everyone just runs around waving their hands over it.:runcirclsmiley:

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

But there are real chinamen in these bakeries.  I went to the Brooklyn chinatown last week, you see.  It smells like dead fish, from all the fish markets.

Chinamen is an old, prejorative term.  I know you're having fun, RG..but it's not funny if you were to toss that term at a bunch of local Asian-North Americans at any street corner.  I get "Chink" at least every 3-4 months where I live the prairies.  

The typical Asian bakeries tend to bake pastries oriented to Asian palates..less complexity of ingredients and overall less sugar taste/frosting taste. Several close friends, born in Canada but Asian, aren't into much desserts at all.  That's more a factor of type of food that dominated their diet when young. 

More use of whipping crème. One just has to scout out the right place with nice flaky custard tarts, pineapple buns..  As some of you may know, dessert fillings are different:  sweet red bean filling, sweet wintermelon filling in addition to the custard filling...which is based on available local ingredients in Asia..then the concepts brought over to North America.  

There are European bakeries..where the pastry chef has taken courses on fine pastry baking. And it shows in their shop's selections:

My partner was in Seoul and found a bakery run by all-Koreans, the pastries quite well executed (and he comes from a family line of gourmet bakery shop owners in southern Germany since 1700's):

elegantcafeseoul.jpg     

Some like this guy in Vancouver is of Asian descent, he runs his gourmet patisserie shop, went and got training in fine baking.  He gets a lot of orders for wedding and special occasion cakes:

ganachepatisscakes.jpg  

I am certain if we find time to squeeze in a visit to an all matcha tea dessert place, their pastries will tend to be on the light side with a lot less use of ie. butter.  I did find a true artisan European bakery in Kyoto, whereby my partner might want to check out the quality.  He's always interested in different interpretations and quality of gourmet baked goods...worldwide.

7 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

The typical Asian bakeries tend to bake pastries oriented to Asian palates..less complexity of ingredients and overall less sugar taste/frosting taste. Several close friends, born in Canada but Asian, aren't into much desserts at all.  That's more a factor of type of food that dominated their diet when young. 

More use of whipping crème.

The ones I have been to have been hypersweet and chemically tasting, even the supposedly good ones.  Definitely more use of whipping creme (which I am philosophically opposed to).

That read bean paste is not high on my list of something to fill a pastry with, but pork buns are awesome, I love those things!