I apologize

Square Wheels

3 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

After a year of this diet, how are things going with the bladder, diet and health?  You wanted to see if things got better for you.  What is the conclusion?

Like, bloodwork better or worse? 

My best results was after cutting out the sugar.  My cholesterol was super low and prize worthy.  My doc was impressed with the stats. 

I want to hear how this is going too. It’s interesting that cutting out sugar improved cholesterol. Sugar is a vegetable, well sort of. I have reduced sugar intake probably 70% since I retired. Numbers haven’t changed.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I want to hear how this is going too. It’s interesting that cutting out sugar improved cholesterol. Sugar is a vegetable, well sort of. I have reduced sugar intake probably 70% since I retired. Numbers haven’t changed.

What about your weight?  70% sugar I would think could go a long way toward staying skinny.

I have weighed the same most of my 68 year life. Sugar was never a big part of my total calorie intake so a 70% reduction wouldn’t make much change. I always tried to stay around 200# I’m probable 190 now. I’m 6’ 5” so I don’t want to get too light. The big thing now is they claim sugar causes inflammation and inflammation causes plaque build up in your arteries. The experts can never make up their mind so it’s a crapshoot. Almost everyone agrees keep your weight down, eat lots of vegetables, get lots of exercise, and plenty of rest. I never got the plenty of rest until I retired. It didn’t seem to change anything.

• Heart 1

...the influence of sugar on the body is still not completely understood.

It does appear that when you bump youir glucose levels on a regular basis, the body functions that produce insulin go a little cattywampus, and that this might account for a longer term tendency to gain weight as fat stored, even though the actual calories you consume as sugar are not that significant as a portion of your overall diet.  Eating is a long term lifestyle choice.

I  would be reluctant to cut out meat and dairy as a means to address dry skin and depression issues.

It seems to me (from what I understand of this) that fats are your friend in the area of dry skin and depression.  A lot of stuff is only absorbed by the stomach in fat soluble form.

So not a lot of fat, but some, in connection with an overall balanced diet that is high in fruits and vegetables (thus a good deal of fiber as well) seems to work best for me.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Dirtyhip said:

After a year of this diet, how are things going with the bladder, diet and health?  You wanted to see if things got better for you.  What is the conclusion?

Like, bloodwork better or worse? 

My best results was after cutting out the sugar.  My cholesterol was super low and prize worthy.  My doc was impressed with the stats. 

Bladder is sadly the same.

My blood work has been good for a long time.

I need to get rid of more sugar.

Mentally, I feel better.  It may not be physically measurable, but I feel a lot better eating cleaner, and consuming zero animal products.  It had always bothered me to eat another animal, now that I don't I am happier.

• Awesome 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Mentally, I feel better.  It may not be physically measurable, but I feel a lot better eating cleaner, and consuming zero animal products.  It had always bothered me to eat another animal, now that I don't I am happier.

....I guess I'm just lucky that it doesn't bother me.  Maybe it has to do with having raised some livestock for food and being present for the whole cycle ?

21 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Bladder is sadly the same.

My blood work has been good for a long time.

I need to get rid of more sugar.

Well that seems as though it was a positive change for you.

It must be tough to travel, unless you go to places that seem to cater to that diet.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Well that seems as though it was a positive change for you.

It must be tough to travel, unless you go to places that seem to cater to that diet.

I don't travel much.  When I do, I try to get a kitchen.  The last time I traveled was Portland.  That was like being in heaven.

• Awesome 2

21 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

....I guess I'm just lucky that it doesn't bother me.  Maybe it has to do with having raised some livestock for food and being present for the whole cycle ?

it makes me feel lucky to have no noticeable food allergies like gluten intolerance or really any food allergy.  I've been tested and nothing came up, except for mold.  The meat thing has never bothered me, as I am from a hunting family background.  I would often help the family with meat prep and butchering.  I understand the whole process.  

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I don't travel much.  When I do, I try to get a kitchen.  The last time I traveled was Portland.  That was like being in heaven.

There is a lot of vegan options in Portland, Bend, Eugene, Ashland, etc.  Oregon and Cali seem to be all about specific dietary needs.  The options seem to be endless.

17 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Portland being described as heaven, now that cracks me up. It seems anything but that for me.  Too many people, too much traffic, and too much pavement.  After living small town life, I can't go back to a city.  It freaks me out.

I was in Portland, 10 yrs. ago.  Portland felt quite white to me.  I kept wondering where were all the Asians and blacks to diversify the city to bring seriously different perspectives and challenges. Seriously. Other than it felt fine ...food wise, stores. 

Yea, go to Vancouver or Toronto, it is where I blend in very easily. 

1 minute ago, shootingstar said:

I was in Portland, 10 yrs. ago.  Portland felt quite white to me. Seriously. Other than it felt fine.

You just described most of America.  Canada has the US beat in multiculturalism by a long shot.  And folks either really like that -- or I guess I don't need to tell you the rest.

10 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I was in Portland, 10 yrs. ago.  Portland felt quite white to me.  I kept wondering where were all the Asians and blacks to diversify the city to bring seriously different perspectives and challenges. Seriously. Other than it felt fine ...food wise, stores. 

Sounds like reverse racism.  If someone said another part of the country was too ethnic, people would freak.  Saying it is too white as a negative is somewhat offensive to Caucasian people.  

1 minute ago, Randomguy said:

Yeah, take that, you anti-caucasion!

Well, the comment was somewhat shocking, IMHO.  

2 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

Seattle most certainly has a big multiculturalism.  To be honest, it'd be a shame to miss out on just the food alone.

Bay area too.  The food is phenomenal in SF.  Probably the best food on earth that I have tasted.

20 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Sounds like reverse racism.  If someone said another part of the country was too ethnic, people would freak.  Saying it is too white as a negative is somewhat offensive to Caucasian people.  

Well, the impression that Portland give it's liberal which I'm certain it is. I was simply surprised when I got there. I was with my dearie and he noticed it too. It wasn't offensive to him....and he's of German background. He's says the sammmmme thing about city where I live now, what it was like 15 years ago in terms of the demographic. My half-white niece wants to leave the small Ontario town when she visits ...'cause she doesn't want hear her father-in-law say how wonderful a right wing upcoming politician is.  Is that wrong, for her to feel this? 

Walk in the person's shoes...there is  enough pressure to succeed in North American mainstream (and that translates into career success, money, etc.) by not speaking with an accent, and sadly tested evidence that even human resources recruiters will grant interviews to applicants with more anglicized names.  My parents gave use Anglo names...to make life easier for us to blend into society, Dirtyhip.  

1 minute ago, Dirtyhip said:

I like Cali.  My first home.  I will never move back though.  Oregon has won me over.  It is rad up here. 

I was born there.  I love going down to visit.  Northern California is especially awesome.  But I neither can afford to live there, nor would I want to.  First, they have a lot of problems and secondly, WA is my home.  California is a great place -- to visit.  I just wouldn't want to live there.

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I like Cali.  My first home.  I will never move back though.  Oregon has won me over.  It is rad up here. 

2 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

I was born there.  I love going down to visit.  Northern California is especially awesome.  But I neither can afford to live there, nor would I want to.  First, they have a lot of problems and secondly, WA is my home.  California is a great place -- to visit.  I just wouldn't want to live there.

...the truth is that all we want you two to do is visit every now and then, and spend a lot of money.  Thanks for your support.:)

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Well, the impression that Portland give it's liberal which I'm certain it is. I was simply surprised when I got there. I was with my dearie and he noticed it too. It wasn't offensive to him....and he's of German background. He's says the sammmmme thing about city what it was like 15 years ago in terms of the demographic. My half-white niece wants to leave the small Ontario town ...'cause she doesn't want hear her father-in-law 

Walk in the person's shoes...there is  enough pressure to succeed by not speaking with an accent, and sadly tested evidence that even human resources recruiters will grant interviews to applicants with more anglicized names.  My parents gave use Anglo names...to make life easier for us to blend into society, Dirtyhip.  

You completely missed my point.  You said somewhere was too white as a negative. It would be like me going to Hong Kong and complaining that it was too Chinese. Do you see the problem? It was a racist comment.

9 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

You completely missed my point.  You said somewhere was too white as a negative. It would be like me going to Hong Kong and complaining that it was too Chinese. Do you see the problem? It was a racist comment.

No Dirtyhip that's not the right comparison. Even a native Indian would disagree a lot.  North America prides itself as more multicultural than China/Hong Kong/Japan/ Korea/Italy/Spain/Norway....none of these countries go out their way to develop immigration policies that are as open. Very different.  

Of course from First Nations, aboriginal perspective, we conquered them, took their land.

No Dirtyhip that's not the right comparison. Even a native Indian would disagree a lot.  North America prides itself as more multicultural than China/Hong Kong/Japan/ Korea/Italy/Spain/Norway....none of these countries go out their way to develop immigration policies that are as open. Very different.  

Of course from First Nations, aboriginal perspective, we conquered them, took their land.

It is exactly the same kind of comparison.  You said Portland was too white, and that bothered you.  Deny it all you want, but in this case you were being racist. 

It is exactly the same kind of comparison.  You said Portland was too white, and that bothered you.  Deny it all you want, but in this case you were being racist. 

I'm sure the census for Portland will show it, Dirtyhip. It's reality in many cities and towns...just white period. It is Dirtyhip.  It screams realty when travelling in certain areas of North America.

Call me racist,...while I support my half Chinese-white niece and many authors of interracial romance who get their manuscripts rejected because publishing editors say the hero/heroine are not relatable to the market....because the hero and heroine, where they are both black, Asian or one of them is and other is white. Just...barf.

Look at the census data for various areas of North America.

this isn't about winning who's right. 

I'm sure I will blend in partially, not totally in Japan and Korea.  Only partially,..I probably have North American mannerisms..and my English fluency.

2 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I'm sure the census for Portland will show it, Dirtyhip. It's reality in many cities and towns...just white period. It is Dirtyhip.  It screams realty when travelling in certain areas of North America.

Call me racist,...while I support my half Chinese-white niece and many authors of interracial romance who get their manuscripts rejected because publishing editors say the hero/heroine are not relatable to the market....because the hero and heroine, where they are both black, Asian or one of them is and other is white. 

Yes, the counts will show ethnicities.  

Again you missed the point entirely. I fully believe you support and love all people, but what you said was racist.  You were put off in Portland, because of too many white people.  

It's hilarious that you don't see your own hypocrisy in the comment. It was rude.

Yes, the counts will show ethnicities.  

Again you missed the point entirely. I fully believe you support and love all people, but what you said was racist.  You were put off in Portland, because of too many white people.  

It's hilarious that you don't see your own hypocrisy in the comment. It was rude.

Sorry, I see it opposite. Portland prides itself for being liberal.  But it didn't feel that way. That's all. It felt in spirit, superficial to me, at times. 

Yup, some of the Canadian Maritime provinces were quite white when we went cycling for 4 wks.....I rarely saw any local Asian ...this was 20 years. Hopefully that's changed. It's not a terrible thing, just feels suffocating after awhile. 

Would I want to live in China, HK?  No, I would miss multicultural mix.  HK has it's own problems with mainland China. Those societies are strongly Chinese and will always be. 

I used to ashamed of being Asian. I grew up in German-Mennonite based city which thankfully has diversified demographically after I left for university. Why did I feel that way....because there's a lot of pressure to conform, to speak /learn English (to  a point we can't speak much with  mother), etc. 

Sorry, I see it opposite. Portland prides itself for being liberal.  But it didn't feel that way. That's all. It felt in spirit, superficial to me.

Yup, some of the Canadian Maritime provinces were quite white....I rarely saw any local Asian ...this was 20 years. Hopefully that's changed. 

Would I want to live in China, HK?  No, I would miss multicultural mix.  HK has it's own problems with mainland China.

People of all races can move anywhere they wish.  Portland is a very liberal minded place.  Compared to my area which is very conservative, Portland is super liberal. 

8 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I used to ashamed of being Asian. I grew up in German-Mennonite based city which thankfully has diversified demographically after I left for university. Why did I feel that way....because there's a lot of pressure to conform, to speak /learn English (to  a point we can't speak much with  mother), etc. 

That seems truly sad to me. You should never have to be ashamed of your ethnicity. 

6 minutes ago, Zealot said:

That seems truly sad to me. You should never have to be ashamed of your ethnicity. 

Oh Zealot, it breaks my heart, that my niece who lost her mother, my sister, admitted that as a child she found it hard to admit as a CHILD that she was half-Chinese. She relays this story of trying explain to her grade two teacher.  Looking back, she wonders why she was denying something so frickin' so obvious.

Now she is VERY proud to be half Chinese..but her mother is no longer here. 

As an aunt yes, I have taken to telling her what family stories I know.

• Heart 1

9 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

It is correct to pressure those who don't speak the dominant language to learn it, you can't achieve anything if you don't speak the language of the land.

Unfortunately yes. That's the price to pay, 2nd language takes the backstage.  So I went all the way....I majored in English lit. at university because I love wordsmithing and power of language itself.  Other people could say learn the language of your conquerors and then you will have a sword or a peace branch/bridge.

However I wonder if unilingual people truly understand that 2nd language carries with it culture structures, cultural idioms and even emotions. It is something speak a 2nd language without thinking much,..it's like breathing.  I can speak some Chinese....it just comes out like breathing. I don't think of the words themselves.