Do you think we truly appreciate the internet?

Road Runner

1 minute ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

To use their internet? :cheerleader:

No, I'm talking about when there wasn't any. Probably before your time when people acquired knowledge the hard way and consequently valued it more.

Now they spend their time posting emoticons and regurgitating stuff they've just Googled.

2 minutes ago, Caretaker said:

No, I'm talking about when there wasn't any. Probably before your time when people acquired knowledge the hard way and consequently valued it more.

Now they spend their time posting emoticons and regurgitating stuff they've just Googled.

I had to walk to the computer lab while in college to do assignments. These are better days. 

The average adult spends more than 20 hours online a week, which includes time spent on the internet at work. :foryou:

6 minutes ago, Prophet Zacharia said:

I find it amusing that you are griping about internet use in an on-line forum. :default_sissy-fight-smiley:

The world is as it is. There was a time when it wasn't and some of us can evaluate 'progress'.

I hate the internet, and it hates me.  It started one day when I made a joke, but the internet is the sensitive sort, and I offended it.  Ever since that day, it gives me the cold shoulder unless I can help it in some way.

I am actually surprised that the internet has survived as is without drawing massive government interference and putting their grubby mitts on it.

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Remember when you had to drive to the library or to the bookstore if you wanted to research anything?

Yes. In college for a research paper. I had to find articles on microfiche and pay a dime or quarter IIRC to print the page. What a PITA. During that time in 1993, bibliography formats were just being revised to include CD-ROM references. One option for a research topic was to look at the front page of the NY Times from the day we were born and chose a headline. There was something on there w/ nuclear energy so I did my paper on that. I can't remember the details. Now information is at our fingertips, but you need to be careful on accuracy. From an engineering point of view, I rely on printed text, or a few engineering websites for data.

• Heart 1

I posted this before. A few months ago we were out to dinner and everyone was looking down surfing the webs on their phones. If it wasn't for the webs, we would have needed to think up actual conversions and use our voices to formulate words and stuff. Sending texts and emails across the table is much easier. ;)

#trythefishitsdelicious

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, team scooter said:

I posted this before. A few months ago we were out to dinner and everyone was looking down surfing the webs on their phones. If it wasn't for the webs, we would have needed to think up actual conversions and use our voices to formulate words and stuff. Sending texts and emails across the table is much easier. ;)

#trythefishitsdelicious

I remember our waitress thinking it was hilarious when my wife and I had just came in for lunch after leaving the phone store.  I had gone over to the dark side and my wife had an android.  We were texting each other with our new phones and taking pictures of each other. It was just a case of playing with a new toy but the waitress was amused.

• Heart 1

20 hours ago, Longjohn said:

I remember our waitress thinking it was hilarious when my wife and I had just came in for lunch after leaving the phone store.  I had gone over to the dark side and my wife had an android.  We were texting each other with our new phones and taking pictures of each other. It was just a case of playing with a new toy but the waitress was amused.

I followed the Tour one summer. Scarce wifi opportunities through the remote mountain towns we visited. One day we found an English Pub with english speaking staff and free wifi. We were torn between speaking English and updating family back home!

• Heart 1