TIB

Chris...

5 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I'm the guy you'd read about that shot himself in a home invasion.

That's why you shouldn't be breaking into your own house.

• Heart 4

6 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

What make/ model is it?

Browning Mark series

Looks like a Contour URX, 5-1/2".  .22cal target gun.  Would be a fun gun to plunk around with.

• Heart 2

19 minutes ago, Indy said:

Browning Mark series

Looks like a Contour URX, 5-1/2".  .22cal target gun.  Would be a fun gun to plunk around with.

That's the one. Pick it up on Thursday. Bought it at the LGS/indoor range. I researched the 22 pistols to death before I settled on this one.

• Heart 1

22's are fun.  I've got 4 riffles and 3 hand guns, none of the hand guns are that level though, just basic revolvers I've inherited.  My favorite gun to shoot is my single shot 22 bolt.  Thing is freaking old, but man does it shoot straight.

I want to get a Browning 1911-380 Black Label, I keep looking at them and thinking about it but just always seem to come up other things I need to spend the money on.  But one of these days I will get one.  I don't see the need for anything bigger than that.

• Heart 1

49 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I only buy the same box once, no need to buy it again.  The new boxes cost more.

I always stock up when I do buy, so I've still got plenty.  Yeah, they are years old, but still works fine.

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope.  I'm not a gun guy, but it's been in P&R (self posted) and hasn't gone wrong, so it seemed odd to have it there.  Lots of gun people here, and not everyone ventures into P&R.

Yes, Chris was afraid it would turn political considering how some people are about guns.

Very nice!  I loved my Buckmark and still have it to this day.  As you guys may know I fired thousands of rounds from my late teens through mid twenties as an MP, cop and avid shooter.  I had a Springfield Armory 1911, a S&W model 15 and 19 which was my service revolver.  But I just loved shooting the Buckmark as it was so fun, accurate and inexpensive.  When our daughter was born (24 years ago) my wife asked that I get the guns out of the house so I gave all but the Buckmark to my BIL who still has them.  I hid the Buckmark and really just told my wife recently I still have it.  I haven't fired the Buckmark in over 24 years but it's still in it's case looking pretty as every.   

I should've just bought a gun lock but then my wife would've known I still had a gun... I hid the gun in one place, the magazines in another and the ammo in the garage.  It was useless as a home defense weapon but no way a curious kid was going to shoot them self. 

I like handguns but ownership and use is a pita in Canada.  I have a Beretta M9 disassembled in a safe with ammo in another safe but that is it.  My Dad handed his fathers collection over to the RCMP which was a shame.  He just didn't want the headaches of ownership though. 

I see nothing inherently political about guns.  Even if we disagree on their availability and use, I still don't see that as necessarily political.  If we were to migrate the discussion to the pros and cons of stricter gun laws and the meaning of the Second Amendment, then it would be political.

• Heart 2

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I see nothing inherently political about guns.  Even if we disagree on their availability and use, I still don't see that as necessarily political.  If we were to migrate to the discussion of the pros and cons of stricter gun laws and the meaning of the Second Amendment, then it would be political.

If Cheney accidentally shot Gore, would that have been political? :)  

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, goldendesign said:

I just can't have a 1911 chambered in anything else except 45 acp the way god intended it.

Don't get me wrong I like a .380 but just doesn't seem right

It's been a while since I was in shooting sports but the 380 seemed kinda useless to me too.  We carried a PPK knockoff chambered in 380 as a back up but most guys carried a 5 shot 2' DAA revolver in the 38+P.  I didn't have the $$ yet to buy my own back up so carried the PPK knock off.  Never had to use it but qualified with it and it punched holes in paper OK but I wondered how well it would do if I really needed to put someone down with it. 

I miss my 1911, carried one for 3 years and put thousands of rounds through it.  I got to transfer my 1911 when I moved about (same MP Company but different platoons in different cities in the DC metro area) and then bought my own when I got out.    I loved shooting that weapon. 

• Heart 1

Just now, ChrisL said:

It's been a while since I was in shooting sports but the 380 seemed kinda useless to me too.  We carried a PPK knockoff chambered in 380 as a back up but most guys carried a 5 shot 2' DAA revolver in the 38+P.  I didn't have the $$ yet to buy my own back up so carried the PPK knock off.  Never had to use it but qualified with it and it punched holes in paper OK but I wondered how well it would do if I really needed to put someone down with it. 

I miss my 1911, carried one for 3 years and put thousands of rounds through it.  I got to transfer my 1911 when I moved about (same MP Company but different platoons in different cities in the DC metro area) and then bought my own when I got out.    I loved shooting that weapon. 

Oh and I may have said this before but I actually saw a guy get shot with a 1911.  Came up on a fight and I was augmenting DOD cops at a base in DC now long closed.  Anyway I put my guy down quick but the DOD guy was tussling with his guy.  I heard a shout and then looked over my right shoulder just as my partner fired.  I could feel the blast hit my face but saw the guy running about 5' away.  The round hit his right shoulder blade and it picked him up off the ground, spun him and dropped him on his back.   The SOB stabbed my partner in the arm and ran so he drilled him.  The lucky fucker lived.  

• Heart 1

I have 380 as a carry piece. Doesn't have the pure kinetic power of a larger caliber bUT it does more dispersal than a 9mm. I think it has something to do with the lower velocity and similar slug weight. 

Years ago when I worked around the gun shop we had a guy that wouldn't buy anything less than .357 or .45 acp he was a former banger that got in a heated argument on the basketball court. Took 11 rounds from a 9mm. Never hit anything vital and he walked to the ambulance. 

Obviously a lot of luck and poor marksmanship from the other banger but still guy only bought large calibers after that. 

36 minutes ago, Further said:

I'm considering this for home defense. With the .410 shells and buckshot it has knock down power at close range, but won't penetrate walls with lethal force. 

Taurus Judge® Revolver | 45 Colt/410 ga 3

I have the public defender version just for this purpose. I load 4 rounds of winchester PDX1 and a single 45LC Silver tip just in case the perp is still blowing snot bubbles.

• Heart 1