Copperhead at the front door...

Nate

For you suburbanites who think that maybe country living would be nice to try one day, one of the things that you have to remember is that all kinds of animals live outside of town.

Tonight there was a copperhead curled up n the doorway when I came home from a short ride

I'm sorry there are no pictures, but I had a poisonous snake between me and the camera, so I got a rake and flung him back towards the lake and he scurried off

if he was bigger I might have tried to catch him.

snake is pretty good eating

for me is was a leaf rake and just a quick flip

my philosophy is not to kill an animal for just being themselves unless they are being themselves inside the house or seriously damaging the property. Like the beavers. I knew he wanted to get somewhere else, but he didn't have anywhere to go because he was out in the open and so wouldn't come out of the doorway even when I left him be for a minute

after he hit the ground, he headed for the rocks by the bank like a scalded cat

Same here.  Mine was slithering around our camp ground at Camp Wisdom and there were hundreds of scouts in the area and more expected the next day.  I could not just toss him into the brush.  I had to take him to the ranger station, where I hope he was relocated. 

yea, you can't really fling him anywhere when your camping with a bunch of scouts. Can't leave him be, either

its good you didn't have to kill him. A lot of times that's safer. I mean for us, for the snake, not so much

for me is was a leaf rake and just a quick flip

my philosophy is not to kill an animal for just being themselves unless they are being themselves inside the house or seriously damaging the property. Like the beavers. I knew he wanted to get somewhere else, but he didn't have anywhere to go because he was out in the open and so wouldn't come out of the doorway even when I left him be for a minute

after he hit the ground, he headed for the rocks by the bank like a scalded cat

I really try to have that policy.  I even do pretty good not killing spiders.  Every now and then one meets their demise, but I try not to. 

Snakes I leave alone, but copperheads and poisonous ones that are in the same area where my kids play are fair game.