Saturday Milers.....3/18/17

Mr. Beanz

44 miles with Gina at 16.6 average speed. She had a stuffy nose the last couple of days so I didn't think she would want to ride but she did, and well! A few times she passed me on the little uphills ha ha! :o 

We ran into our friends on the tandem who always post a better average speed on the ride. Last week we rode with them then when it got really windy, I took the front. We dropped them a few times but I slowed up so they could stay on our wheels. So I did the 10 mile tough section into the wind. But on the return with a tailwind, they dropped us. They got about 1 minute ahead of us and stayed there. The rest of the way we kept about the same distance so I was kind of surprised they left us behind on the return.

So today, Gina and I stopped at a park to refill the water bottles. We saw them go by into the tough section. So we jumped on the bikes and headed off after them. I figured this time I was not going to help them IF we caught up. They were about 200 yards ahead of us so Gina asked if I was trying to catch them. If we catch them, we catch them I told her. I asked about her feeling on the bike. She said if I wanted to try to catch them, she was game. About  5 miles later we finally caught them after they had opened up the gap even more. But we did and when we went by, I made sure not to get in their draft and I did not look back as we rolled by. Another couple miles down the road I could see them trying to catch back up. They closed the gap a bit then we hit another really windy section and we left them behind. The next 2 miles they gave up so we opened up a bunch of time on them, maybe 5 minutes.

There are plenty of times that I have worked with the guy then when he sees an opening, he tries to drop you, single or tandem. So today I did not offer any help and made it a point to leave them behind. Gotcha! :D

DSCN4168.JPG

DSCN4169.JPG

DSCN4171.JPG

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

15 roller miles.

Beanz, I've never ridden on such a secluded path.  I'm jealous. 

60 miles no cars. I  enjoy it.  There is wind that makes up for the lack of hills. :D

• Heart 1

7 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

193.2 miles, the Spring Solvang Double Century.  4th time I have ridden that route (actually the 5th... not really counting the first time since I bonked at mile 170 then).  Had a good time.  May post a report in the Rides forum

I don't mean to diminish the accomplishment by any means but really, they couldn't find another 7 miles somewhere on the course?  I'd feel cheated to ride 193.2 miles on a "double".   I'd want to see 200 on my Garmin!  

Awesome job though, hope to see a posting in the rides forum.  

• Heart 1

On 3/20/2017 at 8:41 AM, ChrisL said:

I don't mean to diminish the accomplishment by any means but really, they couldn't find another 7 miles somewhere on the course?  I'd feel cheated to ride 193.2 miles on a "double".   I'd want to see 200 on my Garmin!  

Awesome job though, hope to see a posting in the rides forum.  

To qualify as a ride in the California Triple Crown series the route must be at least 190 miles.  Some of the routes are 200+, some are less. Almost all of them have great scenery.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

To qualify as a ride in the California Triple Crown series the route must be at least 190 miles.  Some of the routes are 200+, some are less. Almost all of them have great scenery.

Yeah some of the areas you mention are beautiful. Solvang is really pretty in the spring. My mom loved to go to Solvang. Reminded her of Holland.