Good Gas Mileage

Mr. Beanz

34 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Man I burn a tank every 2 days but I don't pay for my gas.

Yeah  but the traveling to burn those 2 gas tanks  is what kills me. :D

• Heart 1

Was going to say Beanz, I haven't seen gauges like that since WoLW's 2000 Chevy Cavalier.

I get about 32.5 mpg in 80/20 highway/city driving.  Of course, the highway speeds are generally 75-85mph.

Commute is probably 40 miles each way, so I make it most of a week on a tank of gas, but not quite.  But I think there's a reserve the gauge doesn't tell me about; it's supposed to be a 12.4 gallon tank and it's rare I can get more than 9.5 in it.  I think the miles remaining on the tripmeter is deliberately calibrated to avoid the "I got stranded in a bad neighborhood with no gas" lawsuit.

2016_honda_civic_ip_lt_22916_717.jpg

• Heart 1

Yup, my truckbis a 2001. After 9 years without car payments, I can't seem to get my hand to sign my name on one of them new car contracts. :D

• Heart 2

Just now, Mr. Beanz said:

Yup, my truckbis a 2001. After 9 years without car payments, I can't seem to get my hand to sign my name on one of them new car contracts. :D

If it still runs fine and doesn't cost you tons in repairs, keep it.  I bought the 2004 Civic one year old from a private party with just under 12,000 miles, and it lasted til last August and had been paid off for years --with 242,000 on the clock.

The 2016 Civic was bought three months used with 1180 miles and the new warranty.  Paid a third up front, and this year's tax return should see another good chunk off.  I like to be free and clear of debt as much as you do; that and the mortgage are the only outstanding.  When it's paid off, the monthly payment will go into an account to pay for WoLW's next car.

16 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

All 5 days, to work and back, still a full tank. Whatcha got? :D

You possibly got a bad fuel gauge or sender. I had a car run out of gas while showing a half tank. I thought that I was getting tremendous gas mileage up until it started sputtering.

Some fuel gauges can be horribly non linear, even when the vehicle is brand new. I've driven cars that stayed on full for the first 100 miles. Your OP doesn't mean spit. How far do you drive to work?

Oh, and we're averaging 34.5mpg this winter with local driving.