Holy Crap, Where Have I Been?

Mr. Beanz

While getting ready for work, I like to listen to music. I can't hear crap while in the shower. I'm not about to crank up my home stereo in the living room, that's shake the walls. My alarm clock radio sucks and can never dial in a clean station. Well I guess if I loved that Mexican Band Crap I would be OK but that crap sucks! :whistle:

I'm not about to take my cell in the bathroom and have it get ruined buy the moisture. So I remember seeing those stupid radios at Bath stores that hang in the shower so I thought of one. Tonight we were looking around at Wally World and Gina said I should use one of those blue tooth speakers. Never thought of it cause I really didn't know what they were. Picked one up for $30, no idea of the brand or performance, just gimme something so I can try it out! :D

Holy crap! Waterproof, a couple buttons pushed on the and bejeepers, I got music! :o

Well hot damn, where have I been the last few years?! :lol:

17353086_1476252822447211_5688874193195537746_n.jpg

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I travel with a Bose Color bluetooth speaker.  It can handle a little rain etc but you can have such nice sounding music at low volumes.  It is also great for watching movies on an iPad etc.  Great invention this bluetooth stuff!

I think I have the same one.  It's a Bose speaker, shaped like a tube and the sound is terrific.  I chucked the radio in my kitchen and play tunes off my tablet via the speaker.   The other dad on our softball team also has one and he jams 70s funk in the dug out during the games.  Nearly all the players but him and I are under 30 but they dig it too and it's become our signature sound.

• Heart 1

4 hours ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

I love my Insignia bluetooth headphones for dog walking and gardening.  No more pesky cord!

Holy $#!t blue tooth ear phones too? 

4 hours ago, Wilbur said:

I travel with a Bose Color bluetooth speaker.  It can handle a little rain etc but you can have such nice sounding music at low volumes.  It is also great for watching movies on an iPad etc.  Great invention this bluetooth stuff!

I'll  have to check that one out. I  knew nothing of them so I just pointed my finger at one snd said  ok that one! :D

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I'll  have to check that one out. I  knew nothing of them so I just pointed my finger at one snd said  ok that one! :D

The Bose  speakers are a tad on the expensive side but their sound and ruggedness are top notch.  They are designed for outdoors activities.  

I got mine for around $100 at Frys.  I got the white one as it matches our kitchen but they come in different colors.

• Heart 1

10 hours ago, Longjohn said:

And the neighbors haven't complained about your singing in the shower?:D

And his wife hasn't complained about him peeing in it either.

4 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

If you get a new iPhone you have to.  No more headphone jack.  For now they are including an adapter,  but you can listen to music or charge.  Seriously, how much space does a jack take up?

You can get an adapter that third-parties have made that allows charge and headphones simultaneously.

That said, I agree that deleting the headphone jack was stupid.  I'm not paying $150-200 for a set of mediocre earphones whose only additional feature is wireless, built on to mediocre earphones.  I tell people the iPhone 6S is still a great buy for that reason.

11 hours ago, Longjohn said:

And the neighbors haven't complained about your singing in the shower?:D

Actually they have offered money for me to play and sing but I am not for hire.  :D

Hmm,, Braven BRV1 sold for $99, got mine for $30. Watching some reviews on YT, saw a comment that it sounded better than the Bose.

I dunno, but I am happy with it, for $30 :D

2 hours ago, 2Far said:

I think it helped make it easier to make the phone "water resistant "

That, and "thin".  Phone is actually waterproof rather than resistant now, though not for deep submersion.

Apple somehow though, has forgotten to listen to people that go "Thin is good to a point.  At that point, we don't need thinner (less comfortable), we need battery life and other stuff."

Other stuff being Siri and Apple Maps that sucks less.

• Heart 1

Just now, Square Wheels said:

Install android,  problem solved. 

Work pays for my phone and wants us to be consistent.  If it were me, I'd do Android all day --at least, pure Android (not Samsung or anybody else's modified).

Because it's free, and they don't care about it being used for personal life, I'll gripe about how good the features are, but not going to pay for an alternative.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

Mine is a work phone too.  Very few choices.  When I got it the galaxy s5 just came out.  I still like it.

I'm super-picky.  Nexus 5X and 6P were good.  I'd get a Pixel now, but I hate Google basically picking someone who made an iPhone clone that just happens to run their software.  They should never have sold Motorola; Lenovo killed something Google had actually made great.

11 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

I'm super-picky.  Nexus 5X and 6P were good.  I'd get a Pixel now, but I hate Google basically picking someone who made an iPhone clone that just happens to run their software.  They should never have sold Motorola; Lenovo killed something Google had actually made great.

Man, how do you keep up with this shit? :D

34 minutes ago, LoneWolf said:

That, and "thin".  Phone is actually waterproof rather than resistant now, though not for deep submersion.

Apple somehow though, has forgotten to listen to people that go "Thin is good to a point.  At that point, we don't need thinner (less comfortable), we need battery life and other stuff."

Other stuff being Siri and Apple Maps that sucks less.

Why even bother with Apple Maps?  My daughters told me to always use Google Maps.  The icons look similar, and the few times I used Apple Maps by mistake it was horrendous.  Bad, really bad!  Not even close! 

leonard_pinth.jpg?cb=1462225167

5 minutes ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Why even bother with Apple Maps?  My daughters told me to always use Google Maps.  The icons look similar, and the few times I used Apple Maps by mistake it was horrendous.  Bad, really bad!  Not even close! 

Because my car has Apple Carplay, so as soon as I plug the phone in, the main screen becomes the equivalent of a GPS.  Also, Siri works straight through the car, hands free, and I can issue commands for dialing numbers or navigation hands-free.

Yes, Google Maps is better, but won't work on that screen unless I have an Android phone that uses Android Auto.  What should really happen is one of two things:

1) Apple fixes their mediocre Maps app, or

2) Apple makes it possible to choose your default app (like Android does) for certain functions.  Never happen, it's Apple.

1 minute ago, LoneWolf said:

Because my car has Apple Carplay, so as soon as I plug the phone in, the main screen becomes the equivalent of a GPS.  Also, Siri works straight through the car, hands free, and I can issue commands for dialing numbers or navigation hands-free.

Yes, Google Maps is better, but won't work on that screen unless I have an Android phone that uses Android Auto.  What should really happen is one of two things:

1) Apple fixes their mediocre Maps app, or

2) Apple makes it possible to choose your default app (like Android does) for certain functions.  Never happen, it's Apple.

Damn, the Civic really did develop in that digital shit!  Mine got screwed up because I leave Bluetooth on the iphone, so it overrides my work flip phoen blue tooth in the car and I lost all my vice dial shit.  I am too old for this crap!  :D

19 minutes ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Damn, the Civic really did develop in that digital shit!  Mine got screwed up because I leave Bluetooth on the iphone, so it overrides my work flip phoen blue tooth in the car and I lost all my vice dial shit.  I am too old for this crap!

Starting in 2016, the Civic went upscale in a lot of ways.  Steering/braking, pushbutton start, safety cameras, remote start, autolock/unlock remote proximity, a reasonably upscale stereo/electronics package, and the power moonroof (though that's been available a long time).  And I'm only one step up from entry level.  I don't have the automatic-distance cruise control, rain-sensing windshield wipers, lane departure, automatic braking, heated seats, leather, or full LED headlights (I have LED daytime running lights).

None of the extras I didn't get actually matter for me really.  But it's all there if you want it.  There's plenty of options.  And it actually feels like driving a newly-minted junior executive euro-sedan.

• Heart 1

7 hours ago, LoneWolf said:

Starting in 2016, the Civic went upscale in a lot of ways.  Steering/braking, pushbutton start, safety cameras, remote start, autolock/unlock remote proximity, a reasonably upscale stereo/electronics package, and the power moonroof (though that's been available a long time).  And I'm only one step up from entry level.  I don't have the automatic-distance cruise control, rain-sensing windshield wipers, lane departure, automatic braking, heated seats, leather, or full LED headlights (I have LED daytime running lights).

None of the extras I didn't get actually matter for me really.  But it's all there if you want it.  There's plenty of options.  And it actually feels like driving a newly-minted junior executive euro-sedan.

Were you tempted by the Accord at all?  'specially being a big guy!

16 hours ago, Ralph T. Mooseknuckle said:

Were you tempted by the Accord at all?  'specially being a big guy!

You know, the funniest thing I've found is that some Civics actually have more front room than the Accord, depending on year.  Even dealers have said that in the past, and the Civic has gotten a bit bigger (though it doesn't handle like it).

I drove the 2016 Accord Sport as a loaner when they put the bodyside molding, wheel well splash guards, and all weather floor mats in.  It had power, no denying.  But honestly, handling is what appeals to me, and it wasn't anywhere near as tight (though I heard a redesign was coming in previous rumor articles) and body roll was more pronounced.  The shifter paddles seemed gimmicky, like the only benefit was occasionally to pass (and otherwise, useless compared to just letting it be an automatic).  And I couldn't get as comfortable a seating position.  Truthfully, I can get a much better seating position in this Civic, and could in the 2004 as well, and there was enough room to fit my long legs and frame.  Civic seats have always had enough back support to keep me comfortable, and side bolsters to keep me in my place in the corners.

WoLW, my father (somewhat arthritic) and some aren't a big fan of it being lower to the ground (the 2016 has the same ground clearance as an Audi TT), but I don't even notice that getting in --and once you're inside the car, what does it matter?

On 3/19/2017 at 6:33 PM, LoneWolf said:

Ha, that is funny! Gina's 2014 CX9 has much more than my 2001 Silverado.

I drive her car on the weekends when we go out. On Monday I get in my truck to go to work and feel like I'm driving a go cart!:lol:

I find myself flicking the steering wheel to change radio stations in my truck, and I don't have those controls like Gina's car. It's really tough now having to reach up and hit a radio station preset button ha ha!:D

18 hours ago, Mr. Beanz said:

Ha, that is funny! Gina's 2014 CX9 has much more than my 2001 Silverado.

I drive her car on the weekends when we go out. On Monday I get in my truck to go to work and feel like I'm driving a go cart!:lol:

I find myself flicking the steering wheel to change radio stations in my truck, and I don't have those controls like Gina's car. It's really tough now having to reach up and hit a radio station preset button ha ha!:D

I don't use the radio.  But I love having the buttons to skip tracks on my iPod or iPhone right on the wheeel, and the volume right there.

I can connect either via one of the two USB ports, or stream from my phone via Bluetooth or Wifi.  The sound system is quite good, but the software's a bit buggy.  It's the first car stereo that I've had that can actually be rebooted; and it does need it occasionally.

No CD player any more either.  iPod, smartphone, or USB stick for music. 7' touchscreen for all the options.

2016-honda-civic-first-drive-sg-33-1280x

Ah I said tadio but actually meant CD playeras I don't use the actual radio function either. I do use my cell as well in my truck via cable. Gina's car has bluetooth so she doesn't need plug in. I like that, hope to have a real csr someday myself. :lol:

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

I'm in my car so much blue tooth is a must and satellite radio.  I have a company phone so don't keep music on it.  I couldn't function without the ability to talk via blue tooth while driving....

I have a company phone too, but it's a modest-sized company that doesn't care if I put my music on it.  But I keep an iPod nano plugged in to it.

I had an aftermarket stereo with bluetooth speakerphone in my 2004 Civic, but the road noise was too horrible to use it.  The 2016 is at least 5dB quieter in the cabin, making hands-free conversations great; Honda did a considerable amount of work  insulating the firewall and other areas to quiet things without removing the ability to know what's going on outside.  The engine is smoother and quieter too.