frustrating

BR46

I don't want to be a diabetic anymore.

The last few months I have been struggling to keep the glucose levels under control. I wake up at 4am feeling like I have a hangover so I drink about 6oz of apple juice and go back to bed. Wake up a hour and a half later with levels over 200. 

Some days it just a pain in the ass to keep under control. 

I'm sorry if I sound like feeling sorry for myself I'm not trying to give you that impression or do I want you to feel sorry for me. I'm just venting my frustration. 

Most days every thing is fine and other days you try to do everything right and nothing works. I just wish there was a easy answer on the days that things don't work. 

OK I'm done complaining now ...Now go ride your bike. 

• Heart 4

1 hour ago, BR46 said:

OK I'm done complaining now

I generally don't mind when people complain here.  The complaining is something we all do from time to time, and I have done my share here.  When I do, I always feel bad for complaining, but I think most people don't consider it overmuch or even notice other than passing, it is just what people do sometimes.  We listen and kind of get in sync as a group, plus we learn a bit about you and what the topic of complaint is.  It is humanizing to a greater degree unless all you do is complain.

I really don't know much about diabetes, although it runs in my family (my mother has type 2, my grandmother had type 2, my grandfather had type 1 and died from complications when I was 4.  What do you notice that leads you do a doctor to check things out?  What are the symptoms?  What do you take and when?  What do you eat and when, and what happens when you do?  I am curious about all this stuff!

• Heart 3

I'm fighting the same fight and am not controlling it as well at the moment.  Part of the reason I resigned from my job was the hours & stress was making it difficult to manage my diabetes.  I started making good progress and then came down with a bug and my numbers are up again...

Lots of things can cause your blood glocose to go up.  My weight is down, diet is actually pretty good even with all the travel but not working out regularly and work stress are impacting my numbers.

• Heart 1

I also don;t mind forum b!tching, in fact I love a good rant ala John Belushi or Lewis Black.  I certainly understand your frustration, and I commend you for sticking to it - it sounds like you really stay on top of it.  The constant need to stay on top of things is wearing me out too.  It just seems to me that in a civilized society we shouldn't have to be so damn relentless on every front.  Let some stuff slide a little and the wolves are at the door in short order. :biker:

• Heart 1

Most type 2's can control fairly easily with insulin. However most do anything they can to avoid insulin because it has its own problems. Weight gain, possibility of a deadly overdose and other risks, not to mention cost and the pain of sticking yourself with needles. Low carb high fat diet is the best way to stay off insulin. But it's not easy to eat that way. Every body's trajectory is different, mine is progressing, making control harder. Good luck BR 46 and others dealing with it. 

• Heart 1

11 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

However most do anything they can to avoid insulin because it has its own problems

I have been working hard on doing everything I can to avoid the needle. Where I'm getting frustrated is for the last 2 mouths I feel like I'm slowly losing the battle. I know that it's only been 2 mouths and I have been through ruff times before but it seems like no matter what I do its not working like I feel it should. 

I hopping that with some adjustments in the workouts and diet I can get back to where I was before. Where I feel lucky is Wo46 will do what ever it takes to help me get back under control. 

1 hour ago, ChrisL said:

Part of the reason I resigned from my job was the hours & stress was making it difficult to manage my diabetes

This is why I keep telling Wo46 I want to quit my job and cut grass for a living. The boss was trying to talk me into working 3rd shift for a few months and when I explained to him the troubles I have with it and keeping my numbers in line he didn't understand why work and stress would affect my glucose levels.  I didn't expect him to understand all he is worried about is how much product we can get out the door.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, BR46 said:

I have been working hard on doing everything I can to avoid the needle. Where I'm getting frustrated is for the last 2 mouths I feel like I'm slowly losing the battle. I know that it's only been 2 mouths and I have been through ruff times before but it seems like no matter what I do its not working like I feel it should. 

I hopping that with some adjustments in the workouts and diet I can get back to where I was before. Where I feel lucky is Wo46 will do what ever it takes to help me get back under control. 

This is why I keep telling Wo46 I want to quit my job and cut grass for a living. The boss was trying to talk me into working 3rd shift for a few months and when I explained to him the troubles I have with it and keeping my numbers in line he didn't understand why work and stress would affect my glucose levels.  I didn't expect him to understand all he is worried about is how much product we can get out the door.

A human boss is indeed a thing to treasure.  Right now I have two of my best ever, and it makes all the difference.  We have had some very bad ones before, and the contrast is amazing.

But even if getting product out the door is his main goal, he should treat you like the valuable asset that you are and do what he can to help you be healthy, happy, and productive.  I think too many bosses neglect win/win situations.

• Heart 1

Just wondering how often you are checking your BG levels.  What was the reading when you awoke at 4:00am feeling poorly?  Yes, diabetes is a very individual illness, but one can work with it and make life easier.  Since being diagnosed in late 1999, I have at various times controlled Type 2 with insulin, various oral medication, and diet and exercise. I now shoot long acting insulin and Victoza in the morning and short acting insulin as needed, using pens.  As needed, has been determined by my doctor after viewing my readings over time.  I test 4 times per day.  Any fewer readings, and I would not know what is triggering high readings.   I am 74 and will probably be on insulin the rest of my time on earth.  My diet could be better, and I should be exercising more.  Right now, I weigh 160 lbs at 5'8" tall.  I could lose a bit of weight, but I am actually lighter than I have been in years.  I do about 1-1.5 hours of chores in the morning and evening, and I can tell a difference in my readings, if I do everything on foot and if I move some of the hay with the tractor.  I feel no different if my readings are high (200), but quickly notice it when my readings are below 80. My 'go to' medicine for low readings are the Smarty candies in the plastic wrapper.  I feel strongly that frequent testing of your BGL is necessary to really understand what is happening to your body and how it is reacting to diet, exercise, and stress.  Yes, I was one that fought going back on insulin, but it has been easier than some other routes, and the epi type pens are much better than dosing with syringes and taking insulin from a vial. With my frequent testing it did not take too long to adjust my short acting insulin dose to match what I was going to eat or periods of inactivity.  Shoot me a pm, if you would like to discuss this further.

• Heart 2

On 3/19/2017 at 9:37 AM, BuffJim said:

Most type 2's can control fairly easily with insulin. However most do anything they can to avoid insulin because it has its own problems. Weight gain, possibility of a deadly overdose and other risks, not to mention cost and the pain of sticking yourself with needles. Low carb high fat diet is the best way to stay off insulin. But it's not easy to eat that way. Every body's trajectory is different, mine is progressing, making control harder. Good luck BR 46 and others dealing with it. 

My mom lived on insulin for 40 years and 3 of my siblings are on it.  They actually said their diabetes management got easier once they switched to insulin.  I'm not there yet but am following the path of my siblings who are on insulin so know it' in my future.  Many people feel going to insulin is a failure in their diabetes management but I think it's just part of the process for many diabetics and not necessarily due to a failure to manage it. 

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, sheep_herder said:

Just wondering how often you are checking your BG levels.  What was the reading when you awoke at 4:00am feeling poorly?  Yes, diabetes is a very individual illness, but one can work with it and make life easier.  Since being diagnosed in late 1999, I have at various times controlled Type 2 with insulin, various oral medication, and diet and exercise. I now shoot long acting insulin and Victoza in the morning and short acting insulin as needed, using pens.  As needed, has been determined by my doctor after viewing my readings over time.  I test 4 times per day.  Any fewer readings, and I would not know what is triggering high readings.   I am 74 and will probably be on insulin the rest of my time on earth.  My diet could be better, and I should be exercising more.  Right now, I weigh 160 lbs at 5'8" tall.  I could lose a bit of weight, but I am actually lighter than I have been in years.  I do about 1-1.5 hours of chores in the morning and evening, and I can tell a difference in my readings, if I do everything on foot and if I move some of the hay with the tractor.  I feel no different if my readings are high (200), but quickly notice it when my readings are below 80. My 'go to' medicine for low readings are the Smarty candies in the plastic wrapper.  I feel strongly that frequent testing of your BGL is necessary to really understand what is happening to your body and how it is reacting to diet, exercise, and stress.  Yes, I was one that fought going back on insulin, but it has been easier than some other routes, and the epi type pens are much better than dosing with syringes and taking insulin from a vial. With my frequent testing it did not take too long to adjust my short acting insulin dose to match what I was going to eat or periods of inactivity.  Shoot me a pm, if you would like to discuss this further.

I have been around diabetes most of my life with my grandparents,  mom and other family members. I have been dealing with it for almost 10 years now. 

I have always been in good control but I would have a few days here and there where I would watch everything I did. The frustration is coming from the in the last year I feel that the times when I have a hard time keeping in control and the high blood sugar are happening more often and lasting longer. 

Wo46 and I just finished with our workout and I tested before we ate and I was 117. I haven't seen a 117 in a month and a half so hopefully things are going back to normal. 

It's amazing how us type 2's must watch every little thing we eat. Heck, I  eat a salad and skip on the croutons now and I love croutons. Looking at the label, 6 croutons have as many carbs as a bowl of good breakfast cereal.

Some people may think they eat well because they eat a salad, but if you put 30 or 40 croutons on it like I used to do, that is not good at all.

Drinking apple juice is a no no for me. Eating a meal suggests a small apple or even half an apple to cut back on the sugar. I use half a banana at breakfast to keep my sugar down. I've heard people ask, who eats half a banana? I do to keep my sugar low.

If I drank a glass of apple juice, I'd guess my sugar levels would read high.

A few days ago, I checked my blood the day of a ride and 2 hours after a meal ( I never change the before and after function). I was 92. :runcirclsmiley:

Gina asked me to check hers just for kicks, she was much higher than I measured. :o But she eats those  power bar gel thingies on rides and I don't.

0blood.jpg

• Heart 1

Beans keep up the good work. 

The only time you will see bananas around here is on race day. I used to eat a metric tons of bananas, grapes, apples for snacks and wash it down with some fruit juice.  Little did I know on how much sugar I was eating I thought it's all good healthy food. 

On the days when I'm running high I will test before a meal and adjust how many carbohydrates and protein I will be eating.

I refuse to throw in the towel and give up trying to control this disease with diet and exercise. Some days are more challenging than others.