I've been away

Caretaker

BTW I'll be away again tomorrow.

I'm going into hospital to get stent(s) inserted in my heart and will be staying in Wednesday night. I've no symptoms of heart disease but a routine scan in February showed up some blockages that I'm told need attention. Going in tomorrow at 7am and hope to be out by midday Thursday.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, smudge said:

Actually, our CT scanner is incredibly busy. Angiograms are not uncommon.

I'm not saying the CT scanner isn't busy but as part of a routine checkup for someone with no symptoms my doctors have never ordered one.  I don't think insurance will pay for tests without symptoms.

1 hour ago, Longjohn said:

I'm not saying the CT scanner isn't busy but as part of a routine checkup for someone with no symptoms my doctors have never ordered one.  I don't think insurance will pay for tests without symptoms.

Well, no. A CT is not part of a routine checkup. I'm sure Caretaker had symptoms that warranted the exams. Sounds like it's a good thing he had the exams! 

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, smudge said:

Well, no. A CT is not part of a routine checkup. I'm sure Caretaker had symptoms that warranted the exams. Sounds like it's a good thing he had the exams! 

Well I said 'routine' because I haven't had chest pain or any other typical symptoms.

A CT scan was suggested by my doctor as one of two possible tests as I have raised cholesterol and blood pressure. The other test would have been less expensive but I opted for this because I could afford it and I was told it was the 'gold-standard'. It cost me 650 euros. The subsequent angiogram and this stent will be covered by my health insurance.

We have a mixed public/private system in Ireland. Everyone is covered by the public system but having insurance means you get seen quicker for most non-emergency consultations/procedures.

• Heart 1

On 21/03/2017 at 10:49 AM, Caretaker said:

BTW I'll be away again tomorrow.

I'm going into hospital to get stent(s) inserted in my heart and will be staying in Wednesday night. I've no symptoms of heart disease but a routine scan in February showed up some blockages that I'm told need attention. Going in tomorrow at 7am and hope to be out by midday Thursday.

That they found these blockages before you had a heart attack was really lucky. I've a couple of stents but they came after two heart attacks which meant losing a third of my heart muscle. 

The procedure is a painless one and the medics now have it off pat so it should be a non-event really and you will be out and well in no time. That said, the real bugger is that they will put you on Statins and various other drugs to prevent a re-occurrence and that can be a game-changer. Having been on Statins for years I suffered many side-effects during that time and only now do I feel human again after stopping them four weeks ago. 

Good luck but it should be fine.

• Heart 2

17 hours ago, Caretaker said:

I'm posting from my hospital bed. Had three stents put in this morning and the cardiologist said afterwards 'it couldn't have gone better'.

They're keeping me in overnight.

Thanks for all the good wishes.

Bloody Irishmen.....always have to go one better. :(

2 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Bloody Irishmen.....always have to go one better. :(

There you go.

They let me out at 10am and I'm home now. They said I'm 'cured' although they didn't specify 'of what'. I've to take it easy for a few days and stay on blood thinners and anti-clotting drug (Duoplavin) for 'at least a year'.:(