Freaking Gas Station Attendant

ChrisL

Ever have one of those confrontational clerks?  I got one today, a middle eastern dude about my age.

I have a company fuel card and was at a gas station.  The fuel card can only be used at an outside pump and there was a sign on the card reader stating see attendant so i went in.  I told the clerk I have a company fuel card that can only work outside, will it work.  Yeah yeah it's OK, give here I'll run it.  So he does, turns the pin pad and I enter my mileage and pin code and..... denied.  I said I thought you said it would work?  No, No Not me, you.  You are not the driver, it is fraud.  I shake my head saying, I've been the authorized user on this account for 7 years, my name is on the card,  just give me the card back I'll get gas elsewhere.  No! No fraud, I must keep the card.  Dude, give me the card.... NO!  GIVE ME THE FUCKING CARD!!!!!!  No, please leave or I will call the police.  Please do, I'll sit right here while you call.  In fact, I think I'll call them myself as you have my property and are refusing to give it back.   

A-hole slams my card on the counter and says, here, now go.  I picked up my card and said, yeah I don't think so, why are you such an ass?  Please go, or I will call the police.  Call them, I want to know why you falsely accused of me fraud and held my property?  Dude looks at me for about 10 seconds and says quietly, I'm sorry, please leave.  OK fine, and I go.

I'm a pretty chill dude but geeze sometimes people really pizz me off. 

• Like 1

Sounds like inner city station. It's the only time I have found the pay at pump disabled.  It's creepy enough for this country boy to have to get out of the car to pump gas where the windows and doors all have bars on them, then to have to go inside and prepay really sucks. So far I have survived but I can't imagine what a female would feel like in that situation. :runcirclsmiley:

• Like 1

Notice how suddenly quiet and docile he became when you said you were going to call the police anyway, even after you got the card back.   Why?  It makes me think he really didn't want the police show up at his shop.  And why would that be?

I'd think about putting a fraud alert on the card.  The arrogance and confrontation may have been an act to distract you, to focus you on his obnoxious behavior, and to take your attention away from the fact the he was skimming the card information.

Yup, I'm pretty cynical at times, but I've learned that when people behave oddly like this they have a reason - a good reason for them and usually not good for me - especially when money is involved.  I find it's just a matter of asking 'Why?' a couple times to follow a logical line that would explain the odd behavior.

My guess it isn't the first time he's 'run' somebody's card, it was 'denied' and he kept the card because he bullied the cardholder into leaving it.  Given that, the last thing he wants is the police showing up because he wouldn't give your card back.

• Like 4

I had something like that happen to me with a company card.. my name was on the card and the worker decided it was not really me.. 

I pointed outside to the large truck with the company name on the side that also matched the logo on the card that was right next to my name. 

Lucky for me a cop car pulled into the station so he could get coffee and a little more then he asked for. 

The cop told the clerk to give me back the card and stop basically being an asshole at 3am. The clerk slid the card across the counter and it hit the floor in front of me. I looked at the cop like "WTF"

The cop told the guy to come around the counter and pick it up. The clerk denied the motion, and the cop asked him again with his hand on his tazer as he unclipped it. 

I took a step back and hoped for a good show... damn clerk actually caved in and came around the counter, pocked up me card and gently handed it to me.

Needless to say I went to the gas station across the street.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Notice how suddenly quiet and docile he became when you said you were going to call the police anyway, even after you got the card back.   Why?  It makes me think he really didn't want the police show up at his shop.  And why would that be?

I'd think about putting a fraud alert on the card.  The arrogance and confrontation may have been an act to distract you, to focus you on his obnoxious behavior, and to take your attention away from the fact the he was skimming the card information.

Yup, I'm pretty cynical at times, but I've learned that when people behave oddly like this they have a reason - a good reason for them and usually not good for me - especially when money is involved.  I find it's just a matter of asking 'Why?' a couple times to follow a logical line that would explain the odd behavior.

My guess it isn't the first time he's 'run' somebody's card, it was 'denied' and he kept the card because he bullied the cardholder into leaving it.  Given that, the last thing he wants is the police showing up because he wouldn't give your card back.

If it was like my card I had.. I had to put in the meilage, and my truck number followed by my employee ID number.. that really kept fraud down for a card like that