If RR comes back I will not drop the anvil on him

Digital_photog

12 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

This morning I made a hammer to go with it.  forging miniature is not easy.  After I messed up the first hammer I kept the second one a real simple shape.

Hammer is made out of 1045 steel. Forged to shape then hardened, face polished and finished with linseed oil.

To pick the proper size for the hammer I used my 100 lb H&S anvil and 3.5 lb cross pein hammer then reduced the hammer size to be proper scale for the 2 lb anvil.

DSCN2060.jpg

You will have to drop the hammer to catch up to @Road Runner.  Maybe you should whip up a quick gate?

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Road Runner said:

I may have to find a forum that specializes in walking.  It looks like my cycling days are over.  :(

My doctors won't let me run and I am now told that cycling is a bad idea for me, and that I need to walk more.  Good thing I have a nice treadmill.   :)

I joined a North Country National Scenic Trail 100 mile challenge.  Have hike over 100 miles of the trail this year.  Want to join me?  We will pick out some of the nicest areas.  The trail is over twice the length of the Appalachian Trail

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

I joined a North Country National Scenic Trail 100 mile challenge.  Have hike over 100 miles of the trail this year.  Want to join me?  We will pick out some of the nicest areas.  The trail is over twice the length of the Appalachian Trail

Thanks DP, but I wouldn't be able to do anything long distance, nor any trail-like stuff.  I have been walking a couple miles a day on the treadmill.  3.5 miles yesterday and that is about my limit.  My back is a mess, but walking is supposedly good for me.  It's complicated.   :(

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Thanks DP, but I wouldn't be able to do anything long distance, nor any trail-like stuff.  I have been walking a couple miles a day on the treadmill.  3.5 miles yesterday and that is about my limit.  My back is a mess, but walking is supposedly good for me.  It's complicated.   :(

Sorry to hear that.  10 years ago I was walking with 2 canes because of problems in my right hip and lower back.  No feeling in my right leg.  I put a sidecar on my motorcycle because I couldn't hold it up when I stopped.  I started riding bike again because that did work with my problems.  I could keep the right foot on the pedal by clipping in.  The exercise and motion seemed to help my back a lot.  I could walk again in about a year. Slowly it came back enough that I am even doing backpacking trips.  I hope you can find something that helps your back.  I had to make some big changes in the way I did things.  Running is out for me.

• Heart 2

Those problems are why I retired early.  Working at other things I enjoy that aren't as hard on my back.  I'm thankful that I can walk again without a lot of pain. That I can make the trips and work in the Dominican Republic.  10 years ago at 57 years old it was looking like I may soon be crippled and in a wheel chair.

8 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Those problems are why I retired early.  Working at other things I enjoy that aren't as hard on my back.  I'm thankful that I can walk again without a lot of pain. That I can make the trips and work in the Dominican Republic.  10 years ago at 57 years old it was looking like I may soon be crippled and in a wheel chair.

That's great.  What problems did you have?  Surgeries or just rehab?  Just curious.

I have scoliosis, stenosis, arthritis and osteopenia/osteoporosis.  My neurosurgeon wants to operate to correct the scoliosis and the stenosis, but my low bone density is a problem.

1 hour ago, Road Runner said:

I may have to find a forum that specializes in walking.  It looks like my cycling days are over.  :(

My doctors won't let me run and I am now told that cycling is a bad idea for me, and that I need to walk more.  Good thing I have a nice treadmill.   :)

Will recumbent work?  It is like cycling but you get to lay down on the job. :)  

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

Will recumbent work?  It is like cycling but you get to lay down on the job. :)  

Actually, no.  Cycling is good exercise, but is not appropriate for someone with brittle or soft bones.  Not only is the danger of breaking bones much greater for me than for the average person, but cycling is not a load bearing exercise. Walking or jogging is much better than cycling for preventing any further bone loss.  Also, having a history of cycling crashes, my doctor is worried that the next one could prove disastrous for me.

8 hours ago, Road Runner said:

That's great.  What problems did you have?  Surgeries or just rehab?  Just curious.

I have scoliosis, stenosis, arthritis and osteopenia/osteoporosis.  My neurosurgeon wants to operate to correct the scoliosis and the stenosis, but my low bone density is a problem.

I had spinal cord nerve injury.  I do have arthritis in my hips but that isn't the major problem.  Mine came from an accident and it took time and therapy to heal.  I was told that it would likely not heal but keep getting worse.  The worst spell lasted about a year then I started to notice slow improvement.  I hope you can find something that helps your back.

Since we are serious here I do want to say that I enjoy your posts very much.  My anvil dropping is just kidding around and I hope you understand that I feel that I am joking with a person who I consider a friend. Welcome back.

• Heart 2

2 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Hey, hey now. Let's not get carried away with this whole worshipping Road Runner thing. 

Remember he was barely passable on the LF.  :)

His puppet @Tim Burr talked for him there.  Also if we can make sure he stays I may get back to dropping anvils on him again. 

6 hours ago, Road Runner said:

Actually, no.  Cycling is good exercise, but is not appropriate for someone with brittle or soft bones.  Not only is the danger of breaking bones much greater for me than for the average person, but cycling is not a load bearing exercise. Walking or jogging is much better than cycling for preventing any further bone loss.  Also, having a history of cycling crashes, my doctor is worried that the next one could prove disastrous for me.

I know it looks stupid but I have done Nordic walking in the past when my back issues flared up.   That might be worth looking into, especially if your back pain causes stability issues.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Wilbur said:

I know it looks stupid but I have done Nordic walking in the past when my back issues flared up.   That might be worth looking into, especially if your back pain causes stability issues.

I use hiking poles a lot.  Help my stability and my back, especially when carrying a pack.

DSCN0496.jpg

• Heart 3

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

@Road Runner how about water sports?  My coach keeps pushing me to run in the water.  Neither of my gyms has a pool and I am not joining a third gym just for a pool.  It's still not load bearing, but it would be a great workout and probably gentle to your back.

you may also want to try out a recumbent trike.  I have several friends who have problems that sound much like yours that use them and love them.  If you come visit me in Indiana  I will take you to my cousin's shop and you can try out several on the paved Pumpkinvine Nature Trail.

He won't pressure you to buy. He wants any potential customer to be sure it will work and is what you want.  I have taken them out on the trail many times to try them.  They are fast and fun. I'm not crazy about sitting that low on the busy roads.

• Heart 1

14 hours ago, Road Runner said:

http://www.goodnewsnetwork.org/take-your-treadmill-outdoors/

• Heart 1

I appreciate everyone's alternate exercise routines, but I will just stick to walking for now.  On the treadmill and around the neighborhood.

I am scheduled to see a Rheumatologist in May who is supposed to try to treat my osteoporosis (strengthen my bones).  I can't wait to hear what she will prescribe.   :(  Supposedly, there is only one drug that is at all effective, but it requires daily self-injections and may not be covered by my insurance.