Jump to content
Road Runner

Supplements

Recommended Posts

Do you take any?

 

Every morning I take a multi-vitamin, vitamin C, vitamin D, Fish Oil and Co-Q10. I take a protein supplement when I think it is necessary.  I also take a aspirin daily.

 

Sometimes I take a No-Doz before a workout.  It seems to help.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multivitamin for men, vitamin D, fish oil and a baby aspirin.

Then I need a cup of tea.

I need these things every day or I panic - it's weird.

Me too.  Everything must be taken at a certain time or I might get weak and die.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have tried various supplements over the past year, and most I end up stopping.

 

I do a daily juice that I supplement my meals with. I have been putting a protein supplement in it, but by tracking on MyFitnessPal, I see that I'm getting plenty of protein without it, so when I finish the current jar of protein supplement, I'll stop adding it.

 

I was taking Omega 3 (fish oil) supplement pills, but upon further examination, I'm getting plenty of Omega 3 from the flax seed and chia seed that I add to that juice too, so I stopped that.

 

I'm toying with a new one called garcinia cambogia that was mentioned on Dr. Oz. I don't necessarily trust it to block fat like it mentions, but it is also supposed to be a bit of an appetite suppressant, so I am more trying it for that feature to see if it helps.

 

Other than the "supplements", I take a multi-vitamin and a separate Vitamin D (required if you live in PNW).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I take fish oil caps....enough to get 1.5 to 2 grams of EPA/DHA every day.....well, every work day....I keep the pills on my desk at the office.

I get short chain O3's from flax and walnuts, but the body does a very poor job of converting the short chain O3's to the long chain EPA/DHA. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Niacin 1000mg daily, talk about flush-tastic!

Vitamin B-12 400mg

Vitamin D until I realized I lived in Florida

And lots of naturals from fruit and veggies.

 

 

I take the Niacin and B-12 because I have Systemic Lupus, actually I have MCTD but saying lupus is the easier way. Think of it like winning the connective tissue lottery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Assault by MusclePharm for preworkout.

Blox by BPI for postworkout.  

Optimum Nutrition whey and casein.  

ZMA.

Multivitiamin, Vitamin D3, Vitamin C.

Flax oil in oatmeal.

 

Skratch Labs drink mix when cycling.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Multiple vitamin, C, D3,B1,B12,Calcium. All on orders from my Dr. for as long as I live. Also take Whey Protein supplement daily, again on orders from my Dr.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 2/26/2018 at 1:56 PM, LabDaddy said:

Protein powders (whey/casein)

How do you use this? Simply in smoothies?

I've thought about integrating it into a post-ride drink, but my current drink is good old fashioned Nestle Quik & 2% milk with a bunch of salty nuts (cashews, usually).

I'd be interested to see how a powdered protein mix does in something like milk or maybe almond milk??? I can't imagine mixing with water is tasty, but I also don't want to make smoothies after rides. We do have a beast of a blender, so I could incorporate frozen bananas to a chocolate smoothie, but I'm not sure what else would go in it.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

How do you use this? Simply in smoothies?

I've thought about integrating it into a post-ride drink, but my current drink is good old fashioned Nestle Quik & 2% milk with a bunch of salty nuts (cashews, usually).

I'd be interested to see how a powdered protein mix does in something like milk or maybe almond milk??? I can't imagine mixing with water is tasty, but I also don't want to make smoothies after rides. We do have a beast of a blender, so I could incorporate frozen bananas to a chocolate smoothie, but I'm not sure what else would go in it.

Tom

I just mix it with regular milk. I have both a frother and an immersion blender that I can use. I'll take a scoop of chocolate whey and mix it with milk after a ride.

I've got a salted caramel whey that's to die for. :D

I've done smoothies in the past but it's not a habit that's stuck.

Do you like PayDay bars? :D Love those things.

I use casein at night as it's a slower digesting protein.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, LabDaddy said:

I've got a salted caramel whey that's to die for.

A specific brand recommendation? I looked at this site, but there seem to be a ton of brands.

I always hear "horror" stories about bad stuff finding its way into supplements (including whey powders), so I would be interested in avoiding lead or arsenic if possible :D

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A specific brand recommendation? I looked at this site, but there seem to be a ton of brands.

I always hear "horror" stories about bad stuff finding its way into supplements (including whey powders), so I would be interested in avoiding lead or arsenic if possible :D

Tom

TBH, the one I'd been using is no longer in production as the guy -- Layne Norton, if you're aware of him -- wasn't able to make his business stick. Unfortunate, as I trust him *a lot*.

I have bought this, and am close to trying it for the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQA0BHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you want, I'd be happy to try it tonight to let you know. :D

I get the same brand, a vanilla and a chocolate.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LabDaddy said:

TBH, the one I'd been using is no longer in production as the guy -- Layne Norton, if you're aware of him -- wasn't able to make his business stick. Unfortunate, as I trust him *a lot*.

I have bought this, and am close to trying it for the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQA0BHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you want, I'd be happy to try it tonight to let you know. :D

I get the same brand, a vanilla and a chocolate.

Give me a verdict on that salted caramel! Sounds a little too good to be true.

Tom

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I don't get a lot of protein in my diet, so after every workout I have a couple of scoops of this, with just water.  I don't use animal protein, just fake stuff.  I also tried Bob's pea protein, not bad.

Almost everything I looked at had stevia.  First, I'm not convinced it's safe, second, it makes me sick - I hate the stuff.  This is unsweetened.  I tried the one with monk fruit as a sweetener, that's really good too, but way too sweet.  I mixed it with this one.

Image result for bobs protein powder

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Give me a verdict on that salted caramel! Sounds a little too good to be true.

Tom

Bugger. It's not *nearly* as good as Layne Norton's "Carbon" brand was. :(

Well, good thing I was able to let you know.

I don't imagine buying it again; if a "flavor" isn't a slam dunk, I'd rather just stick with vanilla or chocolate.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, LabDaddy said:

Give me a verdict on that salted caramel! Sounds a little too good to be true.

Tom

Okay. Strike that. Go from "not nearly as good" to "not good at all". Yuck.

Probably throw it out.

:(

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×