Supplements

Road Runner

I have tried various supplements over the past year, and most I end up stopping.

I do a daily juice that I supplement my meals with. I have been putting a protein supplement in it, but by tracking on MyFitnessPal, I see that I'm getting plenty of protein without it, so when I finish the current jar of protein supplement, I'll stop adding it.

I was taking Omega 3 (fish oil) supplement pills, but upon further examination, I'm getting plenty of Omega 3 from the flax seed and chia seed that I add to that juice too, so I stopped that.

I'm toying with a new one called garcinia cambogia that was mentioned on Dr. Oz. I don't necessarily trust it to block fat like it mentions, but it is also supposed to be a bit of an appetite suppressant, so I am more trying it for that feature to see if it helps.

Other than the "supplements", I take a multi-vitamin and a separate Vitamin D (required if you live in PNW).

Niacin 1000mg daily, talk about flush-tastic!

Vitamin B-12 400mg

Vitamin D until I realized I lived in Florida

And lots of naturals from fruit and veggies.

I take the Niacin and B-12 because I have Systemic Lupus, actually I have MCTD but saying lupus is the easier way. Think of it like winning the connective tissue lottery. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/26/2018 at 1:56 PM, LabDaddy said:

Protein powders (whey/casein)

How do you use this? Simply in smoothies?

I've thought about integrating it into a post-ride drink, but my current drink is good old fashioned Nestle Quik & 2% milk with a bunch of salty nuts (cashews, usually).

I'd be interested to see how a powdered protein mix does in something like milk or maybe almond milk??? I can't imagine mixing with water is tasty, but I also don't want to make smoothies after rides. We do have a beast of a blender, so I could incorporate frozen bananas to a chocolate smoothie, but I'm not sure what else would go in it.

Tom

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

How do you use this? Simply in smoothies?

I've thought about integrating it into a post-ride drink, but my current drink is good old fashioned Nestle Quik & 2% milk with a bunch of salty nuts (cashews, usually).

I'd be interested to see how a powdered protein mix does in something like milk or maybe almond milk??? I can't imagine mixing with water is tasty, but I also don't want to make smoothies after rides. We do have a beast of a blender, so I could incorporate frozen bananas to a chocolate smoothie, but I'm not sure what else would go in it.

Tom

I just mix it with regular milk. I have both a frother and an immersion blender that I can use. I'll take a scoop of chocolate whey and mix it with milk after a ride.

I've got a salted caramel whey that's to die for. :D

I've done smoothies in the past but it's not a habit that's stuck.

Do you like PayDay bars? :D Love those things.

I use casein at night as it's a slower digesting protein.

3 minutes ago, LabDaddy said:

I've got a salted caramel whey that's to die for.

A specific brand recommendation? I looked at this site, but there seem to be a ton of brands.

I always hear "horror" stories about bad stuff finding its way into supplements (including whey powders), so I would be interested in avoiding lead or arsenic if possible :D

Tom

11 minutes ago, Razors Edge said:

A specific brand recommendation? I looked at this site, but there seem to be a ton of brands.

I always hear "horror" stories about bad stuff finding its way into supplements (including whey powders), so I would be interested in avoiding lead or arsenic if possible :D

Tom

TBH, the one I'd been using is no longer in production as the guy -- Layne Norton, if you're aware of him -- wasn't able to make his business stick. Unfortunate, as I trust him *a lot*.

I have bought this, and am close to trying it for the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQA0BHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you want, I'd be happy to try it tonight to let you know. :D

I get the same brand, a vanilla and a chocolate.

2 hours ago, LabDaddy said:

TBH, the one I'd been using is no longer in production as the guy -- Layne Norton, if you're aware of him -- wasn't able to make his business stick. Unfortunate, as I trust him *a lot*.

I have bought this, and am close to trying it for the first time.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00QQA0BHU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

If you want, I'd be happy to try it tonight to let you know. :D

I get the same brand, a vanilla and a chocolate.

Give me a verdict on that salted caramel! Sounds a little too good to be true.

Tom

I don't get a lot of protein in my diet, so after every workout I have a couple of scoops of this, with just water.  I don't use animal protein, just fake stuff.  I also tried Bob's pea protein, not bad.

Almost everything I looked at had stevia.  First, I'm not convinced it's safe, second, it makes me sick - I hate the stuff.  This is unsweetened.  I tried the one with monk fruit as a sweetener, that's really good too, but way too sweet.  I mixed it with this one.

Image result for bobs protein powder

1 hour ago, Razors Edge said:

Give me a verdict on that salted caramel! Sounds a little too good to be true.

Tom

Bugger. It's not *nearly* as good as Layne Norton's "Carbon" brand was. :(

Well, good thing I was able to let you know.

I don't imagine buying it again; if a "flavor" isn't a slam dunk, I'd rather just stick with vanilla or chocolate.

• 1 year later...

It can be hard to find out, but whey from Eastern Europe you want to avoid.

Cyclists don't really need more protein if they eat an American diet.

Basically, you need what you need. If you want to build muscle mass, you need extra protein. Personally, I've gone off protein powders, sort of. The only one that I am using right now (not counting aminos) is beef gelatin. It's got a nice profile for recovery.

I whisk a couple eggs with a dash of salt, and a tsp of beef gelatin. I also take one of my recovery pills, which has aminos, a little creatine, and some things like AKG. I can do the whole thing if anybody wants it, but I usually get a slack jawed response.

I also make what I call a vitamin pill that I have with lunch, some vitamins and exotics.

I also make a mixed amino acid pill for when I am recovering from a heavy workout.

If my saying I used a tsp raised your eyebrows, here's the thing. It's easy to overload your system. When you eat, your body shifts gears almost immediate, and cranks up protein metabolism. A pill with a relatively tiny amount of mixed aminos (with your meal) can take better advantage of that 15-20 minute metabolism window. So it's not as goofy as it sounds.

About Omegas, short chains don't cut it. Smell your pills, if they smell bad, ditch 'em. Good omegas aren't cheap, I use Viva.

I've recently become a fan of celery juice. Chop a cup of  organic celery and throw it in a blender. The one time I didn't go organic, Montezuma... Add 4 ounces of organic beet juice. Add 4 ounces of Trader Joe's Power of 7. Blend. Use a sieve and a big spoon to squeeze the last bit of juice out. That's my recovery drink.

Beet juice has natural nitrates, good for mass.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGR302/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000MGR302/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o06_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

• 1 month later...

I take D3, cause MSers are supposed to be deficient of this.  I also take DHA/EPA again for my MS.  

About the multi, it's hit and miss for me.  I think I get most vitamins from my food.  We eat really well.  

I take c 

Maybe I should take a calcium, but we get a lot of calcium foods.  I still love cheese, and most milks, even nut ones, have calcium added.  

I was taking Turmeric, but my foot  pain is gone.  GONE.  Been doing myofascial release therapy and my foot is being repaired.  I know that arthritis is not really curable, but my pain seems to have abated.