Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
airinpie

Can I talk about Mountain Bikes here?

Good luck on the bike search.  My $.02 is consider what type of riding you want to do on the trails you will ride the most.  Based on that consider a budget and then do your homework.  I ride a hard tail now and am looking (i'm always looking for my next bike...) for a DS mtn bike.  Here's my logic behind my bike search: I'm not a schralpy dude and don't plan to huck or get air.  Climbing efficiency is important to me as I live in a hilly area with many short steep climbs and the trails I ride are very tight and twisty.  So based on this I've been focusing on XC and trail bikes that are more XC oriented with 100 to 130 of travel.  Enduro bikes really are not what I need, the longer travel will not benefit me and bike's geometry is not conducive to my riding conditions and the way I'll ride it.  

So which bike?!?!  I've been looking at several different bikes that fit my need and budget but the next step will really be test riding and maybe even demoing a couple to get a good feel for them.  At this point I have several in mind that fit my needs and budget but am not leaning towards any one as it's just too early. 

Good luck, have fun with the search and let us know what you end up getting. 

On 4/10/2017 at 9:57 AM, ChrisL said:

Good luck on the bike search.  My $.02 is consider what type of riding you want to do on the trails you will ride the most.  Based on that consider a budget and then do your homework.  I ride a hard tail now and am looking (i'm always looking for my next bike...) for a DS mtn bike.  Here's my logic behind my bike search: I'm not a schralpy dude and don't plan to huck or get air.  Climbing efficiency is important to me as I live in a hilly area with many short steep climbs and the trails I ride are very tight and twisty.  So based on this I've been focusing on XC and trail bikes that are more XC oriented with 100 to 130 of travel.  Enduro bikes really are not what I need, the longer travel will not benefit me and bike's geometry is not conducive to my riding conditions and the way I'll ride it.  

So which bike?!?!  I've been looking at several different bikes that fit my need and budget but the next step will really be test riding and maybe even demoing a couple to get a good feel for them.  At this point I have several in mind that fit my needs and budget but am not leaning towards any one as it's just too early. 

Good luck, have fun with the search and let us know what you end up getting. 

I haven't looked at mountain bikes for like 15 years. Everything is new to me. I haven't even gotten a handle on trail vs XC vs enduro. I've been looking mostly at trail. I don't really see me doing anything crazy as far as jumps. We have a lot of big rocks/roots and tight turns with trees everywhere. I almost endoed the other day because I tried to go over a big root and my bike said nope. And I'm in Tennessee so there's always climbing, and good descents. We have some awesome true downhill here too, but that doesn't appeal to me at this point. 

On 4/12/2017 at 1:19 PM, airinpie said:

I haven't looked at mountain bikes for like 15 years. Everything is new to me. I haven't even gotten a handle on trail vs XC vs enduro. I've been looking mostly at trail. I don't really see me doing anything crazy as far as jumps. We have a lot of big rocks/roots and tight turns with trees everywhere. I almost endoed the other day because I tried to go over a big root and my bike said nope. And I'm in Tennessee so there's always climbing, and good descents. We have some awesome true downhill here too, but that doesn't appeal to me at this point. 

Not sure of the year of your bike but the bigger wheels on mtn bikes now have better roll over than the 26" wheels of the past.  I ride a 27.5 and the difference was noticeable over 26".  A quick guide is that the more travel in the suspension, the more the bike is designed to go down hill fast.  That means longer wheelbases and slacker angles for better control going downhill.  These bikes fall into the enduro and DH category and generally have more than 140 mm of travel.  Bikes with 100 to 130 mm travel are more all purpose made to go up and down and with geometry more suited to all purpose riding.  These fall into the XC 100-120 mm travel and Trail 120 to 130 mm.  These are very general guidelines and there is a lot of choices which makes it even more difficult to choose... 

I'd also guess a Trail bike would suit your needs but definitely demo some bikes if you can.      

1 hour ago, airinpie said:

@Dirtyhip @smudge @bikeman564™

What are are your thoughts on this bike? 

(Brief recap: I am heavy, riding all wooded trail with lots of rocks, roots and tight switchbacks)

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/bikes/mountain/trail/ruzecomp6fattie/107253

It looks like a good bike to me, and it's at a price point where you'll get good stuff. That bike should do well in your described terrain plus the 3" tires will do fine in a lot of conditions. The other two peeps mentioned are more well versed in the um, non-road category ;)

It's a decent bike I think. Not sure about the fork, and I honestly don't know anything about the brakes. I will say I'm glad the brakes don't say Avid. (Never again...ugh)

It has a nice standover height (this from a person with a 28" inseam in a good day), and I like the shorter chainstays for maneuverability. 

I like the wider tires. I like super skinny tires on the road but chunkier tires off road. Then again I like hearty hiking boots rather than trail shoes when off road too.

I also like that it has a single chainring up front; I never use my big ring. I don't know how many teeth up front; my small ring has 28, and that serves me well. I like that the cassette goes up to 42.

That's what I got. 

9 hours ago, smudge said:

honestly don't know anything about the brakes.

I also don't know TRP  brakes. My c'dale fat bike has sram guide r brakes. I had to get new levers thru a warranty claim after 15 months, so IMO sram brakes suck ass.I would not buy them.