Reovirus infection triggers inflammatory responses to dietary antigens and development of celiac

Page Turner

A Seemingly Harmless Virus Might Be Triggering Celiac Disease

That means there might be a celiac trigger. Epidemiological evidence hints at a virus triggering celiac disease, but there hasn’t been much in the way of experimental evidence. The scientists had been studying reoviruses for some time before coming to the surprising realization that these otherwise benign viruses might have something to do with the celiac disease, according to a press release. To investigate further, they tested two viral strains on mice, and found that an asymptomatic strain called T1L had the ability to trigger an intestinal immune response on food molecules like gluten. It didn’t cause celiac disease outright, however.

But they found another piece of evidence: Humans with celiac disease seem to have a higher level of the antibody, or pathogen-killing protein, for reovirus—which seemed to imply some sort of earlier viral exposure.

That isn’t to say that reovirus causes celiac disease, but it could be a factor. “[Celiac disease] is a complex disorder that likely requires several environmental perturbations to permanently disrupt tolerance to gluten, the authors write.

Also see the study at : http://science.sciencemag.org/content/356/6333/44

Just interesting speculation at this point. It won't help Cliff eat whole wheat burger buns yet.:(

5 hours ago, Page Turner said:

...like you wouldn't hop right into bed with a cronut if the option were available.

My wife tells me it's been so long since I've had any of the junk food I used to live off of that I would be sadly disappointed with how had it actually tastes.  She's kinda smart so I tend to trust her.

The older I get the better I find myself eating.  I do eat plenty of fun food that offers me no nutrition and lots of yumminess, but I am trying to eat better than before.  I suspect if I could eat a Twinkie, I would pass.  There are lot's of OK gluten-free treats, I stay away from them.  There are pretty good rolls, breads, and bagels.  I avoid all of those due to their addiction factor.  I cannot have them in the house.

24 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

My wife tells me it's been so long since I've had any of the junk food I used to live off of that I would be sadly disappointed with how had it actually tastes.  She's kinda smart so I tend to trust her.

The older I get the better I find myself eating.  I do eat plenty of fun food that offers me no nutrition and lots of yumminess, but I am trying to eat better than before.  I suspect if I could eat a Twinkie, I would pass.  There are lot's of OK gluten-free treats, I stay away from them.  There are pretty good rolls, breads, and bagels.  I avoid all of those due to their addiction factor.  I cannot have them in the house.

Not that I would question Speed Demon, but if junk food tastes so horrible, why do so many people buy it?

Just now, Wilbur said:

Not that I would question Speed Demon, but if junk food tastes so horrible, why do so many people buy it?

It's addictive in the way that heroin is.  It makes you feel good, offers empty calories that people crave, leaves a nutritional void that you then try and fill with more of the same junk you were eating.  I have been eating significantly more good food than bad.  My wife has a thing for Peeps.  Last weekend I bought a package.  These are literally sugar covered sugar.  We ate a delicious and nutritious dinner, followed by Peeps.  They were disgusting and yummy all at the same time.

Here is last nights dinner, most items are organic.

Smoothie

• 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 tbsp protein powder
  • 2 tbsp cacao
  • 1 tsp vanilla
  • a dash of cinnamon
  • 1 tbsp spirulina
  • 10 oz frozen blueberries
  • 2 oz frozen cherries
  • 2 oz frozen pineapple
  • 1 frozen banana (can substitue 1 frozen avacodo)
  • 1 piece turmeric
  • 10 oz fresh spinach
  • a handful of golden berries

Put it all in the Vitamix and blend.  Top with a handful of chocolate chunks

This was very tasty, and very healthful.  I'd rather eat McDonald's french fries though.  Why?  It leaves you craving them more.