April 8 miles & such

bikeman564™

Gym this morning. Rower, 50 box jumps, 50 jumping pull ups, 50 walking lunges, 50 V ups, 50 kettle ball swings, 50 burpees, & 100 jump rope, Not exactly in this order. 

Then, I cleaned my kitchen, and wood floors, did dishes, did my laundry, and planted a bunch of plants and seeds.

Productive day.  @RalphWaldoMooseworth would be proud of all this activity.

• Heart 3

1 hour ago, airinpie said:

27 on the road and then tried out the new MTB trail some friends have been building. It was all soft and full of thorns. Probably the least fun I've had on a MTB in a long time. :(

Did you get a flat? 

The difficult rides are the memorable ones.

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

2.6 running after 45 min on the elliptical.  Had to walk the last 1/2 mile home.  I am not happy about that.  Mentally I'm pretty close to bailing out on the Mt. Washington run.  This is really affecting my whole attitued.

Older athletes build differently.  We have to rest more than the young people.  Too much training and the set backs can be enormous

Don't fret.  Stay focused on healing and pt.  Revel in what you can do.

Just now, Dirtyhip said:

Don't fret.  Stay focused on healing and pt.  Revel in what you can do.

Thanks but the run is 9 weeks away and this setback is getting close to what can't be overcome.  I still can't run.  If I was 100% and could fully train I'd suck it up and work hard.  I'm 0%, can ride about a soft hour, can't run past 2 miles.  I have so many plans for this summer, already spent over 600 on registration fees for 3 events and thousands on the hotel we like in NH.  At this rate I am getting worried about the century in July.  The hill ride in August should be OK.  I think deep down I know the run is not going to happen, and I just keep hoping things will turn around

Just now, Square Wheels said:

@Thaddeus Kosciuszko, right now all I can do is sit on the couch.

Then, at this moment, that is what you need to do.

Permit me, if you will, to ask harsh rhetorical questions exaggerated to illustrate a point: Do you want to keep running and exercising according to your pre-established plan until you physically damage yourself beyond recovery?  Is that what you want?

Running up Mt. Washington is a goal you still can meet, but I would suggest you will need to revise your plan on how to get there because right now your present plan - if you'll pardon me - sucks. 

I would suggest you cast aside any emotional bond you have to your present training plan and create a new plan from the ground up based on what you can do.  And if sitting on the couch is all you can do for now, then that is exactly what your plan should include.  Build from there based on, as DH said, what you can do and not where you feel you should be from the old plan.  If you're still working with that trainer, enlist his help too.

And if you think a bit more about it, you can get to work right now on that new training plan while you're sitting on that couch.  Immediately turn any energy that would be wasted in despondency and regret into energy spent into creating something constructive and useful.

• Heart 3

3 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've been humbled

Again - if you'll pardon me - bull shit.  I see no reason for you to feel humbled about anything.

You've selected extremely lofting goals that of themselves are nothing to be humble about.  Pick your head up, because if you thought to attempt those goals in the first place then you instinctively knew you'd find a way to get there.  Take stock of all the assets at your disposal, leverage them to get past your liabilities, and you will find that way.

7 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

thank you

You are most kindly welcome, but I suspect I did little more than amplify what you already knew was right in your heart and your head.

• Heart 1

Pumpkinvine Nature Trail founders day ride from Middlebury to the Goshen Brewing Company  for food and beer.  Over half of the group rode fat bikes.  Since I took the road bike I took a longer route.  Rode 22 miles instead of 13 like the rest of the group.  Finished the ride with good beer and a great brisket sandwich and homemade chips. 

• Heart 4

31 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

I've been humbled, thank you.

Crossfit today was done as a group workout.  We split the group into teams of 2. 

In the times class thing, my team mate and I came in last.  That might have pissed me off in the past, but today I was just happy that my lunges are so much better.  I no longer had to do the mini step to reset myself.  Now, I lunge from one right into another.  Every week I get more agile and strong. 

Being humbled can help oneself.  I am humbled every week I go there.

• Heart 2

52 minutes ago, Digital_photog said:

Pumpkinvine Nature Trail founders day ride from Middlebury to the Goshen Brewing Company  for food and beer.  Over half of the group rode fat bikes.  Since I took the road bike I took a longer route.  Rode 22 miles instead of 13 like the rest of the group.  Finished the ride with good beer and a great brisket sandwich and homemade chips. 

someday we'll pass each other and never know it.

There is a surly fat bike at the trail house, 1800 retail, marked down to 800. heck of a deal

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Thanks but the run is 9 weeks away and this setback is getting close to what can't be overcome.  I still can't run.  If I was 100% and could fully train I'd suck it up and work hard.  I'm 0%, can ride about a soft hour, can't run past 2 miles.  I have so many plans for this summer, already spent over 600 on registration fees for 3 events and thousands on the hotel we like in NH.  At this rate I am getting worried about the century in July.  The hill ride in August should be OK.  I think deep down I know the run is not going to happen, and I just keep hoping things will turn around

why do you stop running? do your knees hurt or is it your lungs?

44 miles with Gina, Aimee, Jose and Joaquin today. 15.2 average according to Garmin. Strava says 15.0 so I'm thinking about revoking my membership! :D

Killer winds today. I couldn't sleep last night so I only got in 2 hours. Then 2 miles after we start the ride, Aimee gets a flat. Thanks Aimee for the extra workout! :P But it was coo, Gina and Aimee watched me do the repair and said, "wow, that was smooth!" Yeah, I do lots of repairs for guys who can't seem to get it right. Couple forum members come to mind! :whistle:

It turned out to be a good ride though, even with the killer winds (see beach picture).

Couple minutes after fixing Aimee's flat. Little sleep, 44 miles, wind, and no shoes on whaaaaah! :lol:

DSCN4280.JPG

DSCN4290.JPG

DSCN4291.JPG

Check out the wind and sand storm at the coast.

DSCN4308.JPG

• Heart 2

So..this was the first ride of the season for me...my first since Sept 11.  I didn't do much at the gym all winter...I tore out flooring and painted instead...So it was a bit of a slog...and we had a pretty good breeze/ wind going..we did not ride side by side cos a gust hits ya and well..I certainly moved anywhere from 6 inches to 20 inches side to side!!

HOWEVER...last year when I went for my first ride on the tank..I couldn't make it up the first gravel hill and I was way out of shape..my shape isn't great...but...I am better than I was on the first ride last year..oh and this ride came 2 weeks earlier. I'm calling it good.

• Heart 1