Anyone using the blue Shimano road cleats?

TrentonMakes

I took a look at my [yellow] cleats and they are beat to hell.  This is not my photo, but it's exactly what my cleats look like.  (on mine one of the "little" yellow things at the base of the triangle is completely gone on each cleat)

worn_cleats.jpg

Though they still seem to work fine, I ordered a new pair.  

When I first got these shoes I thought the only options were yellow (6 degrees of float) and red (0 degrees).  Apparently now there's a blue cleat with 2 degrees.  Anyone using these?

I almost went with the blue.  If I'm standing on the pedals really pushing myself hard, sometimes I feel like I would like a little less float*, but I feared negative impacts on my knees so I stuck with the yellow.  I can check to see how many miles I got out of these cleats but it wasn't as much as I expected.... if I can find cleat covers on the cheap maybe I'll pick them up.

*it occurs to me that maybe with this wear I'm getting a lot more than the supposed 6 degrees.

• Heart 1

I ride Looks but ride the cleats with the more float as well.  It works for me so haven't changed in the past 10 years or so. When I stand and pedal the movement can be unnerving but I've never unclipped so I've just gotten used to it.   I do replace my cleats every couple of years, they are easily overlooked. 

• Heart 1

I ride the yellow Shimanos and probably won't change. I do replace them every couple of years. Took me a while to find them but you can get covers for those and it saves them a bunch.

• Heart 1

8 minutes ago, Zackny said:

I ride the yellow Shimanos and probably won't change. I do replace them every couple of years. Took me a while to find them but you can get covers for those and it saves them a bunch.

Initially I didn't get the covers because they weren't much less expensive than a replacement pair of cleats.  But I don't think I got much more than 1000 miles out of these (if that), so another $15 on covers might help after all.

11 minutes ago, TrentonMakes said:

Initially I didn't get the covers because they weren't much less expensive than a replacement pair of cleats.  But I don't think I got much more than 1000 miles out of these (if that), so another $15 on covers might help after all.

Pavement chews up those cleats. Don't try walking on steel grates with those covers, you'll lose them. Found that out the hard way?

• Heart 1

I always used spd double sided mtn pedals. I may have replaced them 2 times in 15 years. I stick with them and they work hassle free.

I have buds that use road pedals and once a year, they look like the image in the OP. Many times, falling apart on our rides, so I don't waste my time with them. 

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Mr. Beanz said:

I always used spd double sided mtn pedals. I may have replaced them 2 times in 15 years. I stick with them and they work hassle free.

When I first went clipless I was mostly riding my MTB and I got SPDs, two sets of pedals (for road bike and MTB) and some SIDI shoes.  I never replaced any of it - original shoes, cleats, pedals are still in good shape.  

But on road rides over 30-40 miles I was getting that pressure in the center of my foot, and it lasted for hours after I got off the bike.  I don't get this with the road pedals.

Yes, the road cleats are a little clumsy to walk in, but I figured I'm buying them for riding, not walking.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, TrentonMakes said:

When I first went clipless I was mostly riding my MTB and I got SPDs, two sets of pedals (for road bike and MTB) and some SIDI shoes.  I never replaced any of it - original shoes, cleats, pedals are still in good shape.  

But on road rides over 30-40 miles I was getting that pressure in the center of my foot, and it lasted for hours after I got off the bike.  I don't get this with the road pedals.

Yes, the road cleats are a little clumsy to walk in, but I figured I'm buying them for riding, not walking.

Read more  

Guess I'm lucky, never had a problem with hot spots (I think that's the term used). I did like 23 centuries one year, longest being 126 miles. Our weekend rides are never less than 40 and never had that problem using shoes made my Nike (I really liked these), Answer, and Shimano.  :speedy:

Maybe being flat footed is a plus in cycling!:lol:

• Heart 1