Do you think people were happier in the 1950's?

Randomguy

Maybe, weren't the 50's a time of huge economic growth, euphoria still lingering of the end of the war and many WWII vets getting on with their lives and starting families.  Even with the Cold War starting from what i recall from history classes the 50's was generally considered a time of good fortune for many Americans. 

20 minutes ago, Mr. Silly said:

I doubt they were happier or unhappier.  My guess is that the level of happiness has remained the same.

I think each decade can point to major problems and some good things.

I really do like the idea of the chick staying at home, and no phones to take with us all the damn time.  While I like the internet and all, I really doubt we are happier now than when the technology didn't follow us around everywhere.

28 minutes ago, parodybot said:

Yes, I know I was.  Sure, we got made fun of in sci fi movies in the 50s  but today we have to contend with Wikibullies like @Mr. Silly who likes to split hairs about reel eels and sand eels.  

21 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I remember Dr Smith use to call you a "Bubble-headed Booby".   :D

Ah!  Robots in the 50's were able to snag some serious tail.

Robbie-29.JPG

• Heart 2
  • Awesome 1

• 1 year later...

Republicans, over all, recall the late 1950s and the mid-1980s most fondly. Sample explanations: “Reagan.” “Economy was booming.” “No wars!” “Life was simpler.” “Strong family values.” The distribution of Trump supporters’ greatest years is somewhat similar to the Republican trend, but more widely dispersed over the last 70 years. Supporters of Ted Cruz picked best years that were similar to the party’s trend over all. The sample of John Kasich supporters in the survey was too small to detect any patterns.

As a group, Democrats seem to think America’s greatest days were more recent; they were more likely to pick a year in the 1990s, or since 2000. After 2000, their second-most-popular answer was 2016. Sample explanations: “We’re getting better.” “Improving social justice.” “Technology.”

• Whatever 1

26 minutes ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Obviously you were very young. I'm very sorry, Maxx.  I know my life changed when I lost DadCheese in my 40s.  

I was 10.  They didn't tell me he was dead till after the funeral.  :angry:  I was sent on a couple of overnights to a cousins house.

2 hours ago, jsharr said:

Republicans, over all, recall the late 1950s and the mid-1980s most fondly. Sample explanations: “Reagan.” “Economy was booming.” “No wars!” “Life was simpler.” “Strong family values.” The distribution of Trump supporters’ greatest years is somewhat similar to the Republican trend, but more widely dispersed over the last 70 years. Supporters of Ted Cruz picked best years that were similar to the party’s trend over all. The sample of John Kasich supporters in the survey was too small to detect any patterns.

As a group, Democrats seem to think America’s greatest days were more recent; they were more likely to pick a year in the 1990s, or since 2000. After 2000, their second-most-popular answer was 2016. Sample explanations: “We’re getting better.” “Improving social justice.” “Technology.”

Re 1950s:   Stinks because it didn't help bright educated women who wanted to work professionally and full-time (besides just being a teacher, nurse or secretary). Didn't help women who wanted to work as engineers when for the few at the time, trained as engineers, etc. 

Sorry, Republicans' reminiscing is just man-centred, patriarichal.  

• Whatever 3

29 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

Re 1950s:   Stinks because it didn't help bright educated women who wanted to work professionally and full-time (besides just being a teacher, nurse or secretary). Didn't help women who wanted to work as engineers when for the few at the time, trained as engineers, etc. 

jsharr reported that without citation.

..the 50's were great for me in Washington, D.C. I got to feed the pigeons and squirrels whenever my mom dragged me downtown on the trolley, and I never had to work a day of my life in the 50's.

Segregation still ruled city, even though some of the public schools had been subject to desegregation orders.  So the bigger and faster black kids didn't beat me up at school.

Eisenhower was president, and that guy really knew how to president. The only bad thing I can remember was nobody had air conditioning, which is a drag in the summertime in D.C.:(

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, Page Turner said:

..the 50's were great for me in Washington, D.C. I got to feed the pigeons and squirrels whenever my mom dragged me downtown on the trolley, and I never had to work a day of my life in the 50's.

Segregation still ruled city, even though some of the public schools had been subject to desegregation orders.  So the bigger and faster black kids didn't beat me up at school.

Eisenhower was president, and that guy really knew how to president. The only bad thing I can remember was nobody had air conditioning, which is a drag in the summertime in D.C.:(

Please notice who dredged this thread knowing it would bring you back.  :slow-dance-smiley:

You're worse than my sweet first beagle mix, Bubba Loui.  

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

I was 10.  They didn't tell me he was dead till after the funeral.  :angry:  I was sent on a couple of overnights to a cousins house.

You and I have a lot in common...starting with the 71/71 thing.  4th grade for me.  although in the morning (my dad died of a heat attack after coming home from an evening golf thing or something like that) my mom broke it to me by telling me I'm now the man of the house. 

1 hour ago, shootingstar said:

Umm.. I seem to recall a pretty popular Democrat as a womanizer and patriarchal figure.   It was the era, not the politics.  

28 minutes ago, shootingstar said:

I was first born baby in '59.  My mother was freakin' out probably...didn't know English and at that time, fathers were not allowed in birthing rm. 

The only good thing was to escape Mao's iron grip rule in China.

I am sure your parents wanted a better life for you than they had.  First gen immigrants sacrifice everything for that opportunity.  It is up to the children to take advantage of the opportunity provided. 

27 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

I am sure your parents wanted a better life for you than they had.  First gen immigrants sacrifice everything for that opportunity.  It is up to the children to take advantage of the opportunity provided. 

They got their wish --all 6 children became university educated in Canada. We all each bought our own homes..without financial help from parents.  (which means we worked hard also and also learned that from parents). We all have jobs that aren't physical hard labour. (Their benchmark, not ours. They came from rural area of southern China.)  There is a grandson who got his PhD at Harvard. (he's a researcher at U of T.)

Back in China, my paternal grandfather raised money from villagers to build the village's lst public school. It was built of brick which was a big deal.

My father in addition to having headstones for himself and mother, he had a small special symbolic one installed in same North Toronto cemetary, for his father as a tribute.  My grandparents' graves were ploughed under by the Communists..I'm not sure what for. Probably sheer stupidity.