Dog Drama

ChrisL

There is easy prevention for this and it is a slide latch on screen doors.  We have them because Airedales love to let themselves out in the summer--- and not to try to kill things-- just to go for a walkabout.  No open doors.  Who does that when they have dogs anyway?

I would go back and tell them you aren't giving them a bill for care because you want them to use the money to make environmental modifications that do not allow the dog to escape.  Listen to to they respond.  Ask flat out if anything like this has happned before.  Ask them how they will prevent it a year from now when the shock has worn off.  Is it the girl's dog or owned with someone else.  Be calm but insist on talking to all owners.  You will know whether to call or not.

• Heart 3

23 minutes ago, Airehead said:

poor Jack, what a horrible experience.

Thanks, it was his screaming (he was literally screaming like a child) that put me in a rage.  Poor guy slept between my wife and I last night.  Hell usually move to his bed to sleep but he wanted to be close to us.  We noticed on our walk tonight he would spook easily and would scream and there was nothing there... Poor guy. 

Frankly I would report. Would not want the next one a very bad scene. 

Oden bit a 2 y/o last fall. He was laying down at woScrapr feet when the kid walked up w/Grandma. He must have got Oden in a bad place or pinched him or something. Oden bit the 2 y/o on the face then let go. Kid went to the hospital to get checked. Hospital is a mandatory reporter. But they did not report. We called the PD. Officer came over and watched Oden for a bit as we talked about what happened. Oden was on house arrest for 7 or 10 days. Officer said not a hazard but it is on the record. We do not let kids pet either dog anymore

Wow! What a scary ordeal. I often think what I would do if that happened to one of our dogs. We've had loose dogs get aggressive with ours on walks before, but nothing like what happened to Jack. I've read that violence (hitting, kicking) against a pit won't make them let go, so you did the right thing and I guess I now know what I would do in the same situation.

Give Jack some extra hugs, treats, and belly rubs.

Report it.  And if the vet didn't charge you, can they at least give you a copy of what they did when they checked Jack out to give to Animal Control/PD.  You would be doing your neighbors a favor.  If it happened once it will happen again.  There are pit bulls around the island and they are by far the most laid back easy going dogs.  Must be the island living.  ;)

Glad Jack is okay.

I went through something similar but with my son several years ago.  I did not see it, I was at the house and Griffin at a neighbor's.  The dog bit his neck, had to go to the OR to fix.  It was scary.  Neighbors were nice about it.  Kept dog but tried to watch it closer.  Dog got out again and was aggressive with an adult neighbor trying to help it get home.  They put the dog down after that.  In hindsight I wish I were more diligent in having them put the dog down the first time.  It could have been a lot worse.  If he would have bitten another neighborhood kid I would not have forgiven myself if I would have known that I should have been more firm in my views that the dog be put down. 

• Heart 1

I hope jack will be perfectly ok. And shame on the family for their dumb dog.

We have a pit in our hood that us a sweethert. I have seen many Pitts that will not hurt a fly. I have also seen some that are only out for vengance. 

It's a hard decision to make on wrecking a 20year friendship or keeping it. Personally I would not know what to do, but I know that if a dog attacks one dog, it will not be that last time. :(

My coworker's wife is a dog trainer and they used to raise Labs.  They also currently run a kennel.  They don't trust Pit Bulls either, despite his wife and daughters rehabilitating a few and failing to rehabilitate a few.  There is just something about that breed.  Yes, they can be really good dogs, but for what ever reason, there is something about them that can cause them to just kind of snap.  Do they all snap, no, but the problem is you don't know which ones will and there doesn't seem to be a common trigger to cause it.

I'll stick to my herding dogs with all their agility, intelligence and protective nature.  My old Border Collie has had a Pit Bull charge him once, he put the that dog on it's back so quick it wasn't even funny just like he has every dog that has come at him.  Border Collies are awesome as they typically are never the aggressor, but they will not back down and they are agile for their size, it's tough for other dogs to really deal with them.