Will you people think any less of me?

Square Wheels

I have made the hard decision of not doing the Mt Washington hill ride.  I lost three months of training with the knee issue.  The best I can do at this point is a gentle ride, once I get over 200 watts it starts to hurt.  300+ hurts a lot.

That ride cost me a fortune, both in trainer / gym costs and registration.  I might be able to get some of the registration cost back.

I am very sad.  I put a lot in to this starting last fall.

• Heart 1

That really sucks - I know how hard you were working to improve on your ride from last year, as well as the other events.  At some point you'll look back on it as just a minor speed bump.  Let it heal and get back out there when you can.

8 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

As of today, I still plan to do the run.  My PT isn't surprised that running on flat ground hurts, but running uphill doesn't hurt, or hurts a lot less.  He says that's the typs of sprain I have.

I am currently at 3 miles every other day.  Next week I start 4.  If I can get to 5 miles, I will definitely do it.

I have stopped the anti-inflammatories.  Been getting mixed messages on continuing to take it.  I took them for almost two weeks and the knee felt great, I heard it might not be great but being masked and I might be damaging it.

Some people don't see this as humor, but clearly a lot of what I post is me setting it up for others.  Most of the time my lead ins are missed, clearly this one was too obvious.

When I see a softball coming in over the sweet part of the plate, even I can hit it.

Abandoning a goal is tough on you mentally. Good on ya for recognizing that it had to be done. 

That takes strength and courage to bow down. I have had to bow down on several goals, post MS. One of them being a dirt century.  I decided that my health was more important than some macho goals.

• Heart 2

No.

<fails again to let lead pass>

However I have respect for those who know when to fold um.  Spend the time doing a good and proper healing and start planning on next year.  On the other hand......I'll never do the Washington Hill Climb.  Probably not even in my car.  So you can judge your worth compared to me.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Square Wheels said:

This is terrifying.  I've also done it on a motorcycle with a passenger.  That was the most terrifying trip up.

I drove up and down it last September. BuffCarla was a nervous wreck. I must admit I handled it with skill. Although not sure how fun it would be in sketchy weather. 

37 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

I am confused.  Was it the running that started the knee issue?  What happens when you ride now, do you get a lot of knee pain?  I ask because it is a long time between now and the ride, isn't it?

We suspect it was weak hip muscles and running / cycling that caused the knee to falter.  I cannot run on flat ground still without pain, it's been months.  I've only been doing gentle rides on the rollers, I recently did a few outside rides.  Yesterday I did a dozen or so relatively flat miles.  The knee was a little achy.  I went up a bump, not hard at all, but my knee was complaining.  It was may 6 or 8% and a quarter mile.  All I kept thinking was 12% for almost 8 miles.  My knee would never be able to do that.

Yes, there is still three months, but I would never be able to get in shape for it.

Too bad SW, but the right call.  I applaud the effort, I am impressed enough with your last years ride. 

What is the plan?  Heal and try for next year, or is the injury the type to result in having to abandon it altogether.  I only ask because if you are done, you need to put that freaky teeny weeny front chain ring in a frame with s pic of you climbing last year.

• Heart 1

13 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

What is the plan?  Heal and try for next year, or is the injury the type to result in having to abandon it altogether. 

I'm also really sad about the run.  My goal was to run the entire distance, now I just want to get to the top.

No one has told me this is a permanent injury or will continue to recur.  I do have more exercises I need to do to be able to sustain longer runs, need to get the hips stronger.

I plan to do the run and ride next year as long as I can start training this fall.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I have stopped the anti-inflammatories.  Been getting mixed messages on continuing to take it.  I took them for almost two weeks and the knee felt great, I heard it might not be great but being masked and I might be damaging it.

From my experience, anti-inflammatories are an excellent therapy device.  Having a lot of long-term inflammation anywhere in your body isn't doing you any good and can be a factor in the development of atherosclerosis.  Anti-inflammatories don't mask pain, they reduce the inflammation which is the cause of much of the pain.   

3 hours ago, BuffJim said:

Sorry you have to abandon one of your dreams.

I would suggest substituting, rather than abandoning.

The Seagull Century has, like, -15 feet of elevation, or something.  Some people here spoke of doing that. 

Rhode Island is fairly flat too, with some good rail trails.  You could even do a ride around the entire state in, what, half an hour? ;)

So pick another goal, one within your present physical capabilities, one for which you can keep training (albeit more mildly).  It will help keep you physically fit and more importantly help give you a positive mental focus so you dwell less on your disappointment about the Mt. Washington ride.

• Heart 3

Just now, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

I would suggest substituting, rather than abandoning.

The Seagull Century has something like, -15 feet of elevation, or something.  Some people here spoke of doing that. 

Rhode Island is fairly flat too, with some good rail trails.  You could even do a ride around the entire state in, what, half an hour? ;)

So pick another goal, one within your present physical capabilities, one for which you can keep training (albeit more mildly).  It will help keep you physically fit and more importantly help give you a positive mental focus so you dwell less on your disappointment about the Mt. Washington ride.

I am pretty sure that is what jsharr would have posted.  Texas is flat too.  You should fly to Texas and ride with jsharr.  You could easily drop his fat ass, which would make you feel better.

• Heart 1

Well...I for one think that you should do it.....I mean are you really some sort of a big girl's blouse or what?

So what if you damage something or something falls off....it's part of being a man Sweetpants...I mean take me for example. Never....never ...have I failed to take up a challenge....no Siree. I met each and every one head-on and no-one could ever say that I was a big Jessie.....never.

Now it is true that I can't walk so good these days and that my broken back is never going to be any better...oh ...and my knees are completely knackered so I spend a lot of time sitting down....but I like to read anyway and I'm pretty old so it's not so bad...I have my pride...yes indeedy. :) 

• Heart 2

4 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Well...I for one think that you should do it.....I mean are you really some sort of a big girl's blouse or what?

So what if you damage something or something falls off....it's part of being a man Sweetpants...I mean take me for example. Never....never ...have I failed to take up a challenge....no Siree. I met each and every one head-on and no-one could ever say that I was a big Jessie.....never.

Now it is true that I can't walk so good these days and that my broken back is never going to be any better...oh ...and my knees are completely knackered so I spend a lot of time sitting down....but I like to read anyway and I'm pretty old so it's not so bad...I have my pride...yes indeedy. :) 

Girl's blouse?

Girls can be very strong.

2 minutes ago, dotman17 said:

DH rocks. Where you been my favorite Scotsman? 

I look in regularly but see nothing particularly earth-shattering to comment upon. 

I suppose I could post about the state of my colon but most people snigger...which is a pity as it's really interesting.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

I look in regularly but see nothing particularly earth-shattering to comment upon. 

I suppose I could post about the state of my colon but most people snigger...which is a pity as it's really interesting.

I am not sure I am ready for that. Can we start with a semi colon?

• Heart 1

4 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Girl's blouse?

Girls can be very strong.

I know this....and they can have scabby knees too which is equally off-putting.

You should give all this rough, mucky sort of thing up and buy yourself a push-up bra and girly things....this may be hard to hear but I'm telling you this for your own good.....I know about these things.

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Cardinal Ximinez of Spain said:

I am not sure I am ready for that. Can we start with a semi colon?

Well I suppose we could but I think I'd be short-changing you. I could start with my small colon and if you can bear it move on to the large.

2 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

You should give all this rough, mucky sort of thing up and buy yourself a push-up bra and girly things....this may be hard to hear but I'm telling you this for your own good.....I know about these things.

This shit is gonna be good.

michael jackson comments popcorn GIF

2 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

Scabs happen, when you go hard. 

Having a mad set of skills is way sexy, and I can still dress up when I am done. 

I'd rather spend valuable time learning to clean a section of black diamond trail over spending time painting nails and putting on mascara.