Will you people think any less of me?

Square Wheels

8 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Scabs happen, when you go hard. 

Having a mad set of skills is way sexy, and I can still dress up when I am done. 

I'd rather spend valuable time learning to clean a section of black diamond trail over spending time painting nails and putting on mascara.

You see this is the modern world for you.

It didn't used to be this way and women knew their place and wore frilly things and made dinner...but now...things were better back in the day when they didn't dare answer back and everyone was happy. My daughter just as bad.....she's told me at the first sign of a damp cushion I'll be shoved into an old-folk's home.

• Heart 1

19 minutes ago, onbike1939 said:

You see this is the modern world for you.

It didn't used to be this way and women knew their place and wore frilly things and made dinner...but now...things were better back in the day when they didn't dare answer back and everyone was happy. My daughter just as bad.....she's told me at the first sign of a damp cushion I'll be shoved into an old-folk's home.

Their place?  What place might that be?  

Sadly, you are too far away to really get put in YOUR place.  Some random dude is going to get a beat down, next time one tries to pace me.  I will have to take out my aggression on that poor soul.

• Heart 4

3 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Yes, there is still three months, but I would never be able to get in shape for it.

Not with that attitude.  

Maybe really easy riding for a month (low HR), working up to two hour rides, no hills at all to recondition the joint, then increase the intensity a bit?  That still leaves two months of good training.  I take it your diet is going ok?  I would buy some collagen and start snorting that stuff, too, especially since you went all brain-damaged and forgot the healing effects of real meat.

And quit running!!!  I take it that there were no knee problems before running, is this correct?

More advice, maybe put the Mt. Washington gearing on your bike right now as kind of a self-limiter if you get tempted to go harder than is good for you.  I know I am susceptible to lower back and knee problems when I get back on the bike after a long layoff, and always from trying to push a little too hard.  Also, everything tends to loosen up on me after the temperature consistently hits 80 or so, so maybe it will for you, too.

Another thing, I would take up swimming to get that cardio going well, mix up some distance and some sprints to keep that super-high threshold stuff primed.  Talk to you trainer about this, and also your docs and PT's.  You know damn well if you were a professional bike rider, they would find a way to get you on the bike next week to be ready for the Vuelta, so there are other means out there to have you ready to roll.  I would talk to them again from a "What can I do" perspective for athletic people, rather than a "what can't I do" standard couch potato perspective that they see all the time.

• Heart 1

37 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

Their place?  What place might that be?  

Sadly, you are too far away to really get put in YOUR place.  Some random dude is going to get a beat down, next time one tries to pace me.  I will have to take out my aggression on that poor soul.

Calm down Sweetpants....by "their place" I meant your natural place in the order of things...you know having the dinner on the table thing...the sweet welcoming smile and being patted on the head..all that. Being a young thing you can't know how good it was back in the day...the rot set in when they allowed women to wear trousers....huge mistake.

I don't talk about it much but I was a pioneer in pushing for women's rights...oh yes. I saw nothing wrong with allowing them to vote as long as they listened to their husbands...pretty radical I know but I was young at the time.

• Heart 2

@Randomguy, the Mt. Washington ride is done.  It is grueling getting up there.  A constant 2 hours of hard pushing.  There are no rest spots, no breaks.  If you stop it's really hard to get going again.  It takes many months to build that strength, it's more than just the endurance.  I'm sure I could get the heart and lungs ready, I am sure I cannot get the knee ready.  I missed out on the past few months.  My wife and I were admiring my legs over the winter and the amazing (for me) muscle structure I had built up.  That is mostly gone now.  It's sad what 3 months of no training will do.  If I were at the point now where I was 100%, I would give it a shot.  I still cannot do squats or other weight bearing exercises or hard rides.

I appreciate the support, but it's just not going to happen this year.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Cardinal Ximinez of Spain said:

FIFY.  He signed before he knew you were a quitter.

Stop saying this.

The problem was the running as any Doctor will tell you that running carries the risk of all sorts of nasties and especially so if you're getting on a bit. Shin splints, Achilles problems, Runner's knee...all of these due to the continual slamming down of the feet over extended periods and even the most expensive of running shoes may not avoid these problems.

• Heart 2

Just now, onbike1939 said:

Stop saying this.

The problem was the running as any Doctor will tell you that running carries the risk of all sorts of nasties and especially so if you're getting on a bit. Shin splints, Achilles problems, Runner's knee...all of these due to the continual slamming down of the feet over extended periods and even the most expensive of running shoes may not avoid these problems.

I respectfully disagree.  The reason I got injured is because I didn't try hard enough.  I went from running 5 - 8 miles a week to a schedule that was going to be 30 - 40 miles a week a little too quickly.  I needed to try harder and get my core and hips better prepared.

This was ll on me.

• Heart 1

Just now, Square Wheels said:

I respectfully disagree.  The reason I got injured is because I didn't try hard enough.  I went from running 5 - 8 miles a week to a schedule that was going to be 30 - 40 miles a week a little too quickly.  I needed to try harder and get my core and hips better prepared.

This was ll on me.

Try hard enough.  Some might say that you went too much too soon.  Maybe, you tried too hard with coaxing from a coach that didn't respect an athlete with a middle age body.

• Heart 3

21 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

@Randomguy, the Mt. Washington ride is done.  It is grueling getting up there.  A constant 2 hours of hard pushing.  There are no rest spots, no breaks.  If you stop it's really hard to get going again.  It takes many months to build that strength, it's more than just the endurance.  I'm sure I could get the heart and lungs ready, I am sure I cannot get the knee ready.  I missed out on the past few months.  My wife and I were admiring my legs over the winter and the amazing (for me) muscle structure I had built up.  That is mostly gone now.  It's sad what 3 months of no training will do.  If I were at the point now where I was 100%, I would give it a shot.  I still cannot do squats or other weight bearing exercises or hard rides.

I appreciate the support, but it's just not going to happen this year.

Crap, I was trying my hardest to be inspiring.  Plus, I have had bad knees since I was 16, so I know that sometimes there is just massive improvement that can seem inexplicable with the right care and a structured and reasonable buildup.  

On top of that, there is muscle memory.  I have been working out with weights (upper body only) again for about one month now, and I am way more than halfway to where I was strengthwise before not doing a damn thing workout wise for an entire 5 months.  Yeah, I have more fat from the whole bad diet thing, but the muscles are popping back quickly and shirts I wore easily a month ago are getting tight.  I imagine that those legs will come back  to you even more quickly.

Another suggestion would be hot yoga.  That Bikram tool started that whole thing because he had really bad knees and wanted a way that would improve them quickly, and it helps mine.  Can't hurt to try.

If you have paid for the ride already, I would plan on going up at least to inspire yourself for next year.  Have a weekend with the wife, and if everything goes well, ride it a little bit until pain starts.  If everything goes perfectly, ride it well and beat your time from last year.  If nothing goes perfectly, bang the wife in the hotel room and get out and enjoy watching the event.  And quit running, I bet your knee pain would improve massively after stopping that foolhardiness.

6 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

This was ll on me.

Never mind the respect....I'm not used to it...but it is high risk and you are old after all.

"Make no bones (or muscles or tendons) about it: Start running, and there’s a good chance injury may follow. Some estimate that nearly 80 percent of runners are injured each year. (They don’t tell you that before joining the track team.) Most injuries are caused by overuse—applying repeated force over a prolonged period of time."

https://greatist.com/fitness/most-common-running-injuries-and-how-avoid-them

10 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

If you have paid for the ride already, I would plan on going up at least to inspire yourself for next year.

We already have the hotel booked.  If they don't give my money back we will probably ride to the top since I'm a registered rider, and just cheer people on.  The guy who coordinates it wants to talk next week, not sure about what.  maybe to help out?

2 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

We already have the hotel booked.  If they don't give my money back we will probably ride to the top since I'm a registered rider, and just cheer people on.  The guy who coordinates it wants to talk next week, not sure about what.  maybe to help out?

Maybe he wants to coerce you to work as a volunteer in order to defer the money spent into next-years entry.  It is expensive, yes?