How many tanks of propane gas

Longjohn

I had a series of propane grill before the NG one I have now. I bought an extra tank, so that I could always have a full tank on standby. The usual result was filling both bottles at the same time while Wo2 finished cooking the meal on the broiler. 

I used to leave the grill on after cooking to burn off the residual organics and/or put something back on for someone who preferred shoe leather to food. The occasional result was an empty bottle the next time I wanted to grill & a trip to tha HW store with two bottles. I've given that practice up to the ants. 

I was talking to a coworker the other day, he has a buddy with a big, fancy house & an ODK. On or about Valentines Day his wife looked out the kitchen window at the gently falling snow and notice it hit the top of the grill with a sizzle. 

"Honey, do you have the grill on?" asks she. 

"No dear, why do you ask?"

"When's the last time you cooked outside?"

"For the Georgia/Florida game when we had everyone over"

Yep, it had been on fo 2+ months. 

• Heart 2

25 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Sounds like you are ready for a bulk tank.

When my furnace dies, I may go that route. 

I finally went to a gas stove a couple of years ago and have a 40 pounder for that. I fill it 3-4 times a year. During the summer, the grill gets used almost daily - sometimes as a surrogate oven, when I don't want to heat the house up. During maple syrup season. I go through a tank a week when the sap is running. (My boss was asking about how the sap run was going and I said "The likelihood of a sap run is inversely proportionate to the amount of propane I have on hand....and I'm just about out...:huh:)

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yeah. I bought a second tank so that I could have two empty ones, too...:whistle:

Gas grills used to come with a new tank included.  The grills would burn out, the tanks last.  I must have a half dozen of them plus a couple in the motor home.

37 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Gas grills used to come with a new tank included.  The grills would burn out, the tanks last.  I must have a half dozen of them plus a couple in the motor home.

Yeah, I had a small collection eventually, I gave most of them up to friends, etc. BTW, professional movers won't allow a propane tank in the moving van, I think I gave my neighbor in Birmingham 3 tanks.

• Heart 1

My father in law used to have us over for a picnic sometimes. He passed away two years ago. Mom doesn't get out much so last summer we decided to have a picnic at her house. She said she had a grill but we might need gas. I got out dad's grill and turned it on and it still had gas. We grilled a couple times for her and it eventually ran out. When I was changing over the tanks I noticed dad's tank was from three regulation changes ago. It still had the valve that you could open and let the gas out in the room and blow something up.

7 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

But they go out of date and have to be tested and recertified, like one of the ones I currently have.

That's when you go to one of the exchange places.  :whistle:

Walmart is best place for that. I exchanged some really old rusty out dated tanks there and they didn't bat an eye. There are some of those out in dad's shed if anyone needs one to exchange. I have more than enough.