Uh, oh. My mechanic looks worried....

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

You should be grateful he didn't grab that engine, pull it out of the car, and start flinging it around the yard

No, I should be grateful that he didn't rip the bumper fascia off in an attempt to eradicate the chipmunk inside.....

....like my sister's dog did to her BIL's car...:D

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I was shocked to see one the other day. I thought those things started to rust in the showroom

Pretty sure the Dodge Durango and the third-gen Chevy Camaro (82-92) have it beat on that score.  Oh, and there's always the Vega.

I think they're mostly all gone due to the TV demand for retired cop cars in the 70s/80s.

diplomat-police-car.jpg

38 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Yeah, and Vega engines never lasted long enough for the bodies to rust out.

Nope, never thought the Camaros rusted any faster than anything else. But, the Vega engines sucked until they updated it.

3 hours ago, UglyBob said:

So @F_in Ray Of Sunshine, did Gus ever manage to sniff out the problem?

When he started digging at the grille, I decided it was time to find some other source of amusement. :huh:

Hopefully it was temporary refuge and not a permanent abode. (If it was, there's a very confused chipmunk in the parking lot, at work today).

10 hours ago, shotgun said:

Third-gen Camaro? Reallly?  :huh:

For rust?  Heck yeah.  Most of the ones here didn't last half a dozen years without serious body cancer.  I find it amazing how little rust my 2004 Civic had compared to all of those, and for half its life I had a hitch bike rack that wouldn't let me take it through car washes.  It laughed at road salt while a number of Chrysler and GM products got moth-eaten.

Ever wonder why you see so few of them on the road (at least up here in the Midwest snowbelt), especially the ones you knew someone bought and planned to keep lovingly for years and years, like an IROC?  They never lasted.

8 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

For rust?  Heck yeah.  Most of the ones here didn't last half a dozen years without serious body cancer.  I find it amazing how little rust my 2004 Civic had compared to all of those, and for half its life I had a hitch bike rack that wouldn't let me take it through car washes.  It laughed at road salt while a number of Chrysler and GM products got moth-eaten.

Ever wonder why you see so few of them on the road (at least up here in the Midwest snowbelt), especially the ones you knew someone bought and planned to keep lovingly for years and years, like an IROC?  They never lasted.

All those cheesy, bolt on spoilers, scoops, and ground effects would loosen up, rub the paint off, and trap the salty water between them and the now bare steel.  Not a good recipe for rust prevention.

6 minutes ago, Honey Badger said:

Well, mine went  6 or 7 years before it developed a little bit of blistering around the rear wheel openings. That was before they started using galvanized body panels. They held up much better than the 74 Chevy pickups!

Just now, shotgun said:

Well, mine went  6 or 7 years before it developed a little bit of blistering around the rear wheel openings. That was before they started using galvanized body panels. They held up much better than the 74 Chevy pickups!

The wheel wells usually got eaten first, followed by any areas where body parts joined and could serve as a moisture collection point.

I found it stranger that first-gen Durangos really seemed to have rust issues too, though.  On a vehicle released in 1998, it just shouldn't have happened.  At this point, in auto manufacturing history, preventing rust for a good while should have been a snap, and there's plenty of Hondas, Toyotas, and other vehicles from that era that don't have those problems and are still relatively clean today if an owner washed it even once every month or two.

Then again, I can't remember the last time I trusted any Chrysler product for workmanship.