The Realm of The Stupid

Thaddeus Kosciuszko

I can understand how people become passionate about a cause or a concept, but sometimes they get carried away to The Realm of The Stupid.

I just finished reading a book about gray water systems.  Gray water is the waste water from showers, washing machines, and sinks, as opposed to the 'black' water from toilets.  Gray water can be easily repurposed to water gardens and landscaping, if properly done.

The plumbing system in my home could be adaptable to such a system, and I thought it might make an interesting summer project.  So I bought the book and read up on how to build gray water systems.

In general the author gives good descriptions, but she wanders into The Stupid in her enthusiasm.  Her solution if you rent and can't modify your home, or if you don't have the money to install a full system?

Shower over a bucket.

Yes, shower over a bucket, then carry the bucket outside and dump it on your plants.  Any water that doesn't go in the bucket you scoop out of the tub back into the bucket, and carry that outside too because this helps you gain 'a visceral awareness' of how much water you use.

:rolleyes:

I think it would discourage you from showering, and help you gain 'a visceral awareness' of how much you stink.

Her solution if your town doesn't allow gray water systems for waste water disposal?  Do it anyway, and 'convince' the Permit Lady to grant you an 'experimental' system exemption if you get caught.

Her solution if your home plumbing system can't be adapted?  Move your washing machine outside, and let it pump the waste water into your gray water system from there.  You can also move your shower outside too, although she doesn't recommend using a bucket if you do.

All of which, for me, are great examples replacing reason with passion.  When authors write books, they should leave The Stupid out.

Most of  the systems she proposes would work well in hot, dry areas like the Southwest, and she makes a reasonable point that gray water systems could recycle water at the point of use and reduce the water processed by waste water treatment plants, so credit to her for that.  Her descriptions of system operation and installation in cold climates is sketchy and brief at best, and inspired no confidence on my part that they would function at all in a northern winter.

Not that I think many people will care much about the installation and application of gray water systems. Yeah, too-long-didn't-read...  I'm ok with that.  But I see more often people advocating and following something that makes little practical sense, and I wonder what were they thinking.  Perhaps it's not so much whether something really works or serves a functional purpose, but instead that it gives the person the feeling they have achieved some sort of accomplishment.

• Heart 1

6 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

You can also move your shower outside too

Outside showers are cool in the summer and if you're somewhere with some degree of isolation from the neighbors.  They suck when it's 15 degrees outside and you have to walk through snow in that dark at 5:30 am.

• Heart 1

51 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Not so much to water the garden but to keep large volume of water and soap out of septic systems. 

Yep - I remember helping my dad install a gray water system, mostly to ease the load on an iffy septic tank.  Mostly what I remember is helping dig a giant pit in which a tank was buried.

I don't think our little town required a permit for such a thing - I seriously doubt this "system" would have satisfied any municipal standards.

38 minutes ago, Randomguy said:

Can you get your money back from this hippie?

Nah.  You might say it was flushed down the drain.

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

Advising people, in print, to circumvent municipal ordinances does seem risky, and a lot to stake a book on.  Self-published, was it?

It almost seemed as if the author were saying 'Go ahead, but if you get caught, say you're very sorry and it will be ok.'

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

It almost seemed as if the author were saying 'Go ahead, but if you get caught, say you're very sorry and it will be ok.'

A few years back, I wanted to build a floating deck in my yard.  only 8" tall and "floating" on concrete pavers.  Submitted measured drawing, cut list, plans, etc.

The city contacted me back and told me it was the nicest plan they had seen, but I could not build a deck in my front yard.  I could however dig out the area and put in a paver sitting area.  

She went on to tell me if I had not asked, no one would have known....  Sort of the same thing, don't ask, just build it and you only have a problem if someone complains.

No one has complained.....

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

3 hours ago, jsharr said:

A few years back, I wanted to build a floating deck in my yard.  only 8" tall and "floating" on concrete pavers.  Submitted measured drawing, cut list, plans, etc.

The city contacted me back and told me it was the nicest plan they had seen, but I could not build a deck in my front yard.  I could however dig out the area and put in a paver sitting area.  

She went on to tell me if I had not asked, no one would have known....  Sort of the same thing, don't ask, just build it and you only have a problem if someone complains.

No one has complained.....

Image may contain: tree and outdoor

I know the guy that ok'ed the permits in the town we lived in back in ohio. A permit for a deck was going to cost me $60, I saw in the zoning book where it said floating decks we allowed and no permit was needed. I built the deck on our house and added 4x4's right next to the foundation. I never anchor bolted the "floating platform" to my house like a deck was. It was a nice 1,200sqft floating platform if I do say so :)
I also corrected the realtor when the house was listed to not have it considered a deck! 

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, Wilbur said:

If it doesn't have a roof, it doesn't need a permit

Around here, apparently replacing windows does require a permit.

He stopped in while the contractors were here and told me I needed a permit. I said "For windows????"

"Anything that affects the energy envelope of your home needs to be approved. I need to see this sticker" <Peels energy rating sticker off window>

"Oh......these are good windows...."

"Yes, I pay the fuel oil bill. WTH did you think I was going to put in? Furthermore, the windows I replaced were 50 years old and single pane. The only way they could have been less energy efficient would be if I had put a brick through them!"

"Well....come down to my office and we'll get you a permit."

"What about siding?"

"No, that's cosmetic." 

:huh:

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Most observant, KrAzY. You're right, it can.

The author's solution is to choose 'organic' or 'plant-friendly' laundry soap.

Aint gonna happen. The "Organic" body wash does not get you squeaky clean, and I am allergic to the "Organic" laundry wash stuff