A college education may be vastly overrated

Road Runner

I was watching Mike and Mike this morning.  Mike Greenberg graduated from Northwestern and Mike Golic from Notre Dame.  Both very prestigious universities.

They were discussing what it would be like to eat a sandwich on the moon and Greenberg exclaimed that if you dropped the sandwich, it might go anywhere since there is no gravity on the moon.  Golic agreed with Greenberg's statement about no gravity and about the uncertainty of where the sandwich might end up if it was let go on the moon.

No longer will I admonish pro athletes with a college degree when they massacre the English language.  That's nothing compared to a moon with no gravity.  :huh:

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I think we did that with Apollo 11.

Then why is it just a theory and not a law?  Since it is just a theory, we've proven nothing.

Sports can be good.

TV devoted solely to sports commentary with no live sports = hugely terribad other than that it keeps otherwise unemployable people in a job they probably need because they couldn't manage the huge money they made doing sports and blew it all on hookers and blow.

6 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I worked with engineers who went to Penn State and RIT....and they were far, far inferior to the guy who went to Alfred.

And if a moron like me can hold a 3.89 average, that doesn't say much about the academic standards.

My mom and dad went to Alfred. My Grandfather was a professor of Ceramic Engineering there in the 1930's. He left there to teach at Penn State during the 1940's. 

1 minute ago, BuffJim said:

My mom and dad went to Alfred.

We had two young fresh-out-of-college engineers. One from RIT, the other from Alfred. The second was sharp (and took abuse really, really well).

The first one? Well when I carefully explained why his fexture* wouldn't tell him what he wanted to know and he'd be better off with a pair of verniers and a $3 Horror Fright square, you'd have thought I was trying to discuss Quantum Mechanics with a cow.

*Stanley needs a spell checker on his engraving software. 

• Heart 1

It reminds me of Jay Leno asking people on the street things like who the USA fought in the Civil War and so many had no clue.

As a scientist, it is often difficult for me to carry on a conversation with certain opinionated people who clearly never studied the topic under consideration but think they know-it-all.  It's also hard to watch some TV shows and movies because I know they are violating the laws of physics. People put their minds in a "suspension of disbelief" when they watch TV. a movie, read fiction, etc.  I sometimes have to put myself in "double suspension of disbelief."

Nevertheless, I think of myself as somewhat akin to Socrates: I'm somewhat wise because I realize how little I know.

On the other hand, I seldom sought the easy way out when I came to becoming educated. I came from a poor family and wanted to get as much education as possible. I made sure I had a real university education while majoring in chemistry, not just a "trade school" chemistry-physics-biology education: courses through fluency in French, philosophy, ancient literature, etc.  Throughout life I've studied history and music and played and coached sports.

None of that made me rich, but it did leave me able to find decent-paying employment throughout my life without ever worrying I couldn't find another job. I'm appalled at how little about the things people should know many people know.

16 minutes ago, MickinMD said:

As a scientist, it is often difficult for me to carry on a conversation with certain opinionated people who clearly never studied the topic under consideration but think they know-it-all...

People put their minds in a "suspension of disbelief"...

I recently came across this: "The biggest obstacle to communication is people don't listen to understand.  They listen to reply."

• Heart 4