Dogfish Head Brewery

BuffJim

4 hours ago, Longjohn said:

Dogfish Head is well known for their IPAs. 

Their 90 Minute is one of the few IPA's I go out of my way to drink....occasionally. (Not a hophead).

Sam Calagione was my hero for a long time, making different and interesting beers. Somewhere along the line, he vaulted the Selachimorpha and most of what they make is -meh- to me now.

• Heart 1

11 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Their 90 Minute is one of the few IPA's I go out of my way to drink....occasionally. (Not a hophead).

I bought a case of the 90 Minute last year. I think I drank it all. I still have a bottle of 120 Minute that I haven't tried yet. 

It was good. The vibe is of a place that started tiny, where it took the owner and a couple pals all day to put caps on 100 cases of beer, to a beer factory where they can bottle thousands of cases an hour. Not the kind of place where you pop in and the owner greets you. Probably used to be. I'm not into flavored beers or IPAs. But I still enjoyed it. 

43 minutes ago, BuffJim said:

It was good. The vibe is of a place that started tiny, where it took the owner and a couple pals all day to put caps on 100 cases of beer, to a beer factory where they can bottle thousands of cases an hour. Not the kind of place where you pop in and the owner greets you. Probably used to be. I'm not into flavored beers or IPAs. But I still enjoyed it. 

So your typical growing micro brewery.

• Heart 2

19 hours ago, BuffJim said:

I'm not into flavored beers 

They do "unusual" ingredients really, really well. They're one of the few breweries who understand balance. For instance their Punkin' Ale is one of the few pumpkin beers I will drink. Most of the rest either taste like someone dumped a spice rack in or someone may have walked by the fermenter, carrying a pumpkin.

Fortunately, Empire is another who do "balance" well....and they're only about 20 minutes away....

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Ommegang used to be like that. First few times we went, we wandered around by ourselves until someone came out and said "oh? You want the tour?"

Now it's a freak show.

Big Sky is the only brewery that I know of that hasn't turned into a freak show, and still gives out free samples.  New Belgium used to do that, and despite the fact that there beer is only so-so, it used to be a great place to go and visit.  Now you have to buy your pints, of course, and it is all prettified to look like a wine bar but with beer.  Bleh.

• Heart 1

We visited Kinkaider Brewery shortly after they opened. It was a small operation with plans to grow. The owner gave us samples of home-made jerky he sells that the grocery store he owns since they weren't serving food at the time. Nice guy. We were only up there a few times and only once after they got the restaurant added on. Food was great, but it's an 80 mile trip. They opened a new tasting room/restaurant here. The owner would see me at another establishement when they were getting ready. He remembered us enough to come say hi when he saw us. When they opened here, we stopped in on the soft open. He came right over and made sure we were happy. It's only been open a month, but it's a big hit. Probably never get free jerky again, but glad to see him do well. 

Scratchtown Brewery is in another town about 75 miles away. It was the first microbrewery in out-state Nebraska. They are genius in their use of local flavors and locally grown hops both wild and now farmed. They have not grown as fast as others because they don't want to. They make small runs of flavors and trade out for new when they are out. No 2 trips will be the same. Super nice owners. They make a big deal because we like to drive up there. We now have an annual group ride for their Scratchtoberfest! 

Our newest local is Prairie Pride here in Grand Island. They have about 10 regular flavors with 3 others in seasonal rotations. Some very nice flavors. They are on the same parking lot as our LBS so the relationship is pretty good! Just opened last November. We will see how they grow. 

• Heart 1