Greek food

Caretaker

Went to a local Greek restaurant for my birthday. Stuffed vine leaves, stuffed peppers, potatoes in herbs, lemon chicken, Greek rosé wine. Very nice but service wasn't great. Admittedly they were very busy with take-away orders. I'd go back.

5925e51a0e735_2017-05-2418_18_29.thumb.jpg.49a4aa747d0014ec2dd1c059e9263352.jpg

• Heart 1

We have a plethora of inexpensive Greek Diners in our region. They serve great breakfasts, gyro and souvlaki sandwiches and baklava and rice pudding desserts. Many have wine and beer, mostly of the more pedestrian brands. I had the Greek wine Retsina in a wine class 15 years ago. That was different - had a pine resin flavor. I love Ouzo. 

Our small town had a diner/burger joint owned by a lady who immigrated from Greece. Her twin daughters were in my grade in high school. Once a month she would have a Greek night at the cafe. Mom and Dad didn't go out much, but on the rare occasion we got to try it, it was pretty amazing! She made a spinach casserole from canned spinach. It was the first time I ever liked the stuff!  Her baklava has no equal that I have found. Her youngest daughter makes and sells it in Lincoln at the Farmers Market. She also sells at the town garage sale in our hometown each year. We always stock up!

The mom's last venture was helping a guy get a gyro shop opened in our town. It may not be 100% authentic, she admits, but they are pretty darned tasty! She still gives me a hug when I see her. She always called my brothers and me the "W.... Boys" like we were some dangerous gang when we walked in. 

• Heart 1

One of the contractors we work for is Greek. His church has a Greek Festival and he is behind the grill. He saw us in line last year and made us up a huge plate o stuff. It was great. 

Then out in a popular area was the Mad Greek Deli. (it's closed now) It was very good. Long line at lunch. But much like Seinfelds soup nazi. You  needed to look at him just right to get good service

• Heart 1