Bad life style or bad genetics

BR46

I have a friend who was pulled off of life support this morning and now we are just waiting for the phone call. 

In the last two weeks she has suffered a brain aneurysm and two strokes. She was a heavy smoker, heavy drinker and a shitty diet. She's 59

A guy that I work with was a heavy smoker and had a diet of corn dogs and tater tots. He still alive but had a stroke at the age of 45

Another friend of mine was dead at the age of 57 from a stroke again heavy smoker and heavy drinker bad diet 

I'm starting to see a pattern here 

I read an article several years ago which speculated that the gummint was secretly not encouraging folks from quitting tobacco:

1. Tax revenue (duh); and
  2. That folks use , like, 80% of their total health care money in the last 10 years of their lives, but smokers typically don't last til their medicare years, and when they go, they go quickly. Thus, not costing the gummint as much money as if they lived longer & died slower.

In my opinion, from what I have witnessed among friends and several large families, I would say long life it is about 75% genetics/luck.  Luck because I have seen people die from cancers when no one else in the family had cancer and there was no known exposure to any related carcinogenic material.

Sometimes, shit just happens and cells mutate.  No one's fault.   

I think it is a combination of both. My mom's mom died young..in her 40's..had six kids..my mom was the youngest..she was 20 when her mom died..my mom only went to high school part time her senior year so she could care for her mom. I do not tink grandma smoked..my mom however..did..and heart stuff runs in the family..she had a cardio pulmonary embolism at 55. 

Genetics mostly, and a little lifestyle.

My Grandfather ate sausage for breakfast pretty much daily. He didn't exercise too much but he did walk.  He smoked and drank until about middle age. 

He lived to 97, and held a household until 96.  

My Grandmother on my Maternal side died in her mid seventies. She ate badly and was morbidly obese.  She had adult onset diabetes.  I believe that lifestyle played into her demise.

Then there is me. I believe that I got the short end of the stick with genetics. I have MS.  My life might be shortened due to this disease. I don't know what my late years are going to look like. I've lived pretty healthy most of my life. The MS makes no sense to me.

That book I bought yesterday, 'Health's Highway' (1909) is a treasure trove of sound practical advice.

"Smoking is another injurious practice. It is a most insidious pleasure. and undoubtedly soothing, and indulged in with moderation will rarely cause any ill-effects. Most people , however, are not strong minded enough to resist the temptation, and consequently the habit grows on them until at length they become the devoted slaves of Lady Nicotine."

His main advice centres round buying a large canvas tent, erecting it in your garden and sleeping in it year round, Winter and Summer.

This is a photograph from the book of the author's sleeping 'canvas hut' surrounded by snow.

592734af902bd_2017-05-2520_44_48.thumb.jpg.33e57234d9d2ca49d5e16e4ef4fa9c0b.jpg

I've ordered mine and will moving into it late next week.

I've treated my body poorly for most of my 53 years.  I've felt the effects of that.  Over the past 5 or so years I've slowly converted to a much healthier lifestyle.  I also feel the (positive) effects of that.

Will I die today?  Possibly.  Will I live to 100, that's possible too.  If it's going to be 100, I'd prefer to be healthier.

• Heart 1

2 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

Will I live to 100, that's possible too.

According to statistics, only one in 6,000 people reach 100.  http://www.genealogyintime.com/GenealogyResources/Articles/how_many_people_live_to_100_page1.html

At the rate my body is breaking down, I would not want to exist in this particular vessel at 90, much less 100.

10 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I suspect it's a both.

I agree.  We all can probably name people who have those same habits and yet live to a ripe old age.  Makes one wonder how they would have fared living a more healthier lifestyle.  And vice versa for those that have lived a healthy lifestyle.