So.. The World Economic Forum says 70 is the new 55.

Wilbur

He says that his only goal is to see the windmill off to a good start before he retires. Though no animal has yet retired on Animal Farm, it had previously been agreed that all horses could do so at the age of twelve. Boxer now nears this age, and he looks forward to a comfortable life in the pasture as a reward for his immense labors.

Food grows ever more scarce, and all animals receive reduced rations, except for the pigs and the dogs. Squealer continues to produce statistics proving that, even with this “readjustment,” the rations exceed those that they received under Mr. Jones. After all, Squealer says, when the pigs and dogs receive good nourishment, the whole community stands to benefit. When four sows give birth to Napoleon’s piglets, thirty-one in all, Napoleon commands that a schoolhouse be built for their education, despite the farm’s dwindling funds. 

• Heart 2

Hopefully our health holds up as I know I'll need to work well into my 60's to retire.  We've done well by not incurring debt and will have our house paid off well before then but we really haven't been able to save for retirement until recently.  Three lay off's in my late 30's and 40's kinda derailed 401 k contributions...   

I don't think I am prepared to work til 70.  I have prepared to retired by 60.  

We won't retire rich.  We will retire with enough to live as an average middle class family.

Our savings rate has way surpassed the average American. The only way we got here was saving early and making some sacrifices.  Someone came to our house once and called it a starter home.  I corrected him and said it was our finisher home.  

• Heart 4

Surveys tend to show that people leave the workforce earlier than they plan - usually due to health or layoffs.  But I don't think I'll make it to 70, I'm actually not even sure if I'll make it through today.

• Heart 4

My employer hires a lot of old farts. They like that you won't accrue much pension, that you will show up for work, and you probably have a clue about your trade.

They hired a 61 year old electrician a while back, guy was shocked that he got hired, hopes to work to at least 70. A lot of the kids they're hiring in production jobs aren't lasting a month, so 9 or 10 years is a long career.  

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Further said:

My employer hires a lot of old farts. They like that you won't accrue much pension, that you will show up for work, and you probably have a clue about your trade.

They hired a 61 year old electrician a while back, guy was shocked that he got hired, hopes to work to at least 70. A lot of the kids they're hiring in production jobs aren't lasting a month, so 9 or 10 years is a long career.  

There is a lot of value in us older slow and steady folks. :)  

• Heart 3