Have you lost a family member or a friend in a war?

Randomguy

Great grandfather injured in a Anglo-Afghan war.  Just a bayonet stab in the shoulder in Kandahar.   One grandfather gassed in the trenches in WWI.  He lived to 70 years of age but with numerous mustard gas related problems. Otherwise  everyone was fine.  

I lost one friend in the military and several in civilian flying. 

Both of my grandfathers died during the Japanese occupation of Indonesia during WW II.  My Dad was a POW but survived.  My oldest brother survived The Nam, barely...  Middle Brother and I both got recalled for the 1st Gulf War but didnt mobilize.  Lost a friend while serving in a non combat death.  Had a bullet wizz  by inches from my head while on patrol as an MP and nearly got hit 2 other times with accidental discharges.  I'll admit I'm a lucky fucker....

My family has caught every war since WW I (for 2 different nations) and a couple of of other wars not in our history books since they were Dutch colonial wars in Indonesia.  Service in the military, although never forced upon us, was something every male in our lineage has done for many generations.  Looks like its ending with my brother and my sons.