A question for you

jsharr

6 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

1 # of meat, and I use a cookie dough scooper that is about 1.5 inches around.  I don't like to get the raw meat all over my hands. 

The balls end up somewhat lopsided, but they taste terrific. 

Yup, about a pound.  There is no substitute for homemade meatballs, I have never had a good meatball anywhere else.

A pork & beef blend...I only make meatballs when I make the massive pot of spaghetti sauce...I am thinking a pound to 1.5 pounds..onion, bread crumbs, parmesian cheese...make them to size I am thinking 2.5 inches across...but sometimes smaller...and I put them raw into the sauce...and the cook for a few hours...slowly.

Usually cooking for one and losing weight (20 lb in 3 months), I don't make my own meatballs. The best commercial meatballs I like are "Cooked Perfect" brand.

They come in 1/2, 1, and 2 oz meatball sizes. I haven't seen the 2 oz., but the 1 oz. (26 meatballs in a 26 oz. bag) frozen meatballs are tasty and feel like they've just been made - not hard like some others.  They're pre-cooked so you can microwave them, but I usually just throw four or more meatballs per person into the water in which the pasta is boiling and they're thawed and hot by the time the pasta is ready (7 or more min.), nice and moist with no loss of flavor. The 1 oz size is also great for making a quick meatball sub, with a little spaghetti sauce and grated cheese and optional onion (also microwavable).

cooked-perfect-italian-style-meatballs-6.thumb.png.556c807764e7868f94d74df89b8f422a.pngcooked-perfect-all-natural-italian-style-meatballs-lifestyle-420x360.jpg.d70dbcd1cdb1a0d4cf21257464256f2f.jpg

They're one of the more expensive ones at Walmart, I think something like $6 or $7 for the 26 oz., but there's a one-dollar-off coupon with a 3-month expiration date here: https://www.cookedperfect.com/where-to-buy/

I don't use coupons as often as I should, but for things I buy often, there's often a dollar-off coupon online and I print it like:

Eight O'Clock Coffee: http://www.eightoclock.com/eight-o-clock-coffee-coupon

Hormel Products (Dinty Moore Beef Stew, Hormel Chili, sometimes Lloyd's BBQ, etc.): http://www.hormel.com/Coupons.aspx

• Heart 1

16 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I never tried the Cooked Perfect brand. Most frozen meatballs taste like they were made by Goodyear.

True. One that's not great but not bad is the 6 lb bag of frozen Costco Kirkland (store brand) Italian meatballs for $18 ($12 a few years ago and the CPI tells us there's very little inflation!), also pre-cooked and nukable, that are about 1/2 oz. in size and they're good for larger parties where you want to make up a crock pot full of sweet-and-sour or barbecue meatballs.

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

You're the one closest to the truth. Add in some veal and you're spot on.

They even sell "meatloaf/meatball" mix in the grocery stores around here.

Depends on what is available..pork and beef is pretty much always there..but sometimes one gets lucky and you get veal too.

23 hours ago, Square Wheels said:

I was gonna comment about some delicious vegan balls I had a couple of weeks ago, but refrained so as not to keep coming off as a dick.  Now you sound like a dick, thanks for stepping in for me.

I am the forum butthole, ass kiss and shit heel.