Takes One to Know One

ChrisL

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

Thats awesome how it works out! Even though I'm a dolt and do not know what an Indo really is... I'm just a cracker who speaks a little high German and a little Irish. 

"Indos" are a mix of Dutch and Indonesian races.  We are a by product of Dutch colonization of Indosesia.  Both of my grandfathers were Dutch guys who were sent t Indonesia in the early 1900's and then married local girls.  Indos are brown skinned but speak and were raised with a Dutch culture.  We are not truly Indonesian and never really truly accepted in Holland either so many immigrated to the states after WWII.  My folks immigrated in 1958.

Although brown skinned I have an European last name and speak Dutch. The most famous Indos are the Van Halen brothers of the group Van Halen.  Dutch named brown skinned dudes, just like me.

• Heart 2

8 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

"Indos" are a mix of Dutch and Indonesian races.  We are a by product of Dutch colonization of Indosesia.  Both of my grandfathers were Dutch guys who were sent t Indonesia in the early 1900's and then married local girls.  Indos are brown skinned but speak and were raised with a Dutch culture.  We are not truly Indonesian and never really truly accepted in Holland either so many immigrated to the states after WWII.  My folks immigrated in 1958.

Although brown skinned I have an European last name and speak Dutch. The most famous Indos are the Van Halen brothers of the group Van Halen.  Dutch named brown skinned dudes, just like me.

Awesome, Sounds a little like my one son. He is dark skinned but is hispanic. He is always mistaken for an African American which he is not, but he does have the tight curls in his hair. 
Me on the other hand... I'm just a white german/hillbilly that think he is funny all the time but the wife always disagrees! 

• Heart 2

2 hours ago, petitepedal said:

My friend in South Africa..yeah she has some Dutch in her too...those Dutch guys really got around :whistle:

Those folks are called "Afrikaans" and are descendants of the Dutch colonials in South Africa.  To my understanding they didnt mingle too much with the locals and are white.  I dont know that the French mingled too much with the Vietnamese, the Brits and Indians didnt mingle much but the Dutch boys really took a shining to to the Indonesian girls and vice versa.

6 hours ago, KrAzY said:

Thats awesome how it works out! Even though I'm a dolt and do not know what an Indo really is... I'm just a cracker who speaks a little high German and a little Irish. 

I speak Irish as well.  "I'll have another" is one of my favourite terms. :) 

• Heart 3

4 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Those folks are called "Afrikaans" and are descendants of the Dutch colonials in South Africa.  To my understanding they didnt mingle too much with the locals and are white.  I dont know that the French mingled too much with the Vietnamese, the Brits and Indians didnt mingle much but the Dutch boys really took a shining to to the Indonesian girls and vice versa.

The Brits and the Indians did mingle as did the Brits and the Burmese. For most of the time they were mingling the term 'Brit' includes the Irish.

• Heart 1

5 hours ago, Caretaker said:

The Brits and the Indians did mingle as did the Brits and the Burmese. For most of the time they were mingling the term 'Brit' includes the Irish.

Thanks. I guess I figured some of that happened in India and Burma.  There is a pretty large population of Indos in Holland and in America but I wasn't aware of similarly sized populations of French Vietnamese or Brit Indian/Burmese races.

Right after WWII Indonesia had a revolution and won thdir independance forcing all of the Dutch and Indo's to flee to Holland and then to America.  I don't know if the Indians, Burmese and Viets with mixed heritage had to do the same, I guess there could be mixed races still in their countries.  Not so in Indonesia.

12 hours ago, petitepedal said:

My friend in South Africa..yeah she has some Dutch in her too...those Dutch guys really got around :whistle:

The Dutch and British were both in South Africa (fought in the Boer War at the turn of the century).  The Dutch lost.

As I understand, my great (or great-great) grandfather fought on the losing side.  The losers were forced to sign an oath of loyalty to the Queen, and well, you know how stubborn Dutch people are; my forbear refused, so they shipped him back to the Netherlands.  He caught sick on the voyage, died in the home country some months later, and the whole family returned to SA because they no longer knew people in Holland.

Some of them decided to carry on to the US as the ship was continuing on there, thus how my family are here.  There are still people in SA with my last name according to a friend of mine who lives there.

13 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Dozens & dozens of Asians and the one Indo in the joint finds the other?  Wierd....

I used to work with an engineer from Scotland.

He used to work at GE. One day, the guy who sat next to him wasn't there, and his phone was ringing. Typically, they would just let it go, but for some reason, he answered it.

The guy on the other end had a Scottish accent. They sorted out that the guy he was looking for wasn't there, etc. Then the guy asked Jim where he was from. Jim said "Oh....a little town outside Glasgow...." The guy said "Which one? and he told him. "Me too!" Jim said at first, he thought the guy was FOS, but he knew the schoolteacher's name and other stuff that he would only know if he was telling the truth.

A random impulse to answer a phone call and halfway around the world, he ends up talking to someone from his hometown.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, KrAzY said:

Labhraionn tu Galic? Ni Feidir lion, ta me Meiriceanach. 

I don't really speak it myself although my wife does and my cycling friend does.

I understand what you posted. "Are you learning Irish? I can't, I'm American" 

From the little I do know you've made several mistakes, it's Gaelige not Galic and liom not lion, plus a lot of accents on the letters are missing.

Google translation?

2 hours ago, Caretaker said:

I don't really speak it myself although my wife does and my cycling friend does.

I understand what you posted. "Are you learning Irish? I can't, I'm American" 

From the little I do know you've made several mistakes, it's Gaelige not Galic and liom not lion, plus a lot of accents on the letters are missing.

Google translation?

No translation... just a shitty teacher :)
I'm much better at pronunciation then typing :(