Hey TK.....

The water levels in the Forestport Feeder are kinda' low......you don't suppose.....?

IMG_0025.thumb.JPG.e6218b1312b3a74ff7ffde5c7ee0d404.JPG

(For those not in the know, The Forestport Feeder was used for transport (mostly lumber) and to channel much-needed water from the western side of the Adirondacks to the Erie Canal, via the Black River Canal. In the late 1800's, the canal was hemorrhaging business to the railroads and the Adirondacks had pretty much been raped of timber. Forestport was dying. In a major stroke of good luck, there was a break in the feeder wall. Repair crews rushed to the scene. Locals were employed, livery stables and sand pits were booming and the hotels and saloons were doing a stroke of business. The following year, they got lucky again! And the year after that, too! After the third time, it began to look a wee bit suspicious..... This time, people went to prison).

• Heart 1

Hmmm...  I'd almost suspect somebody who owns property up there sabotaged the canal again in an attempt to make a killing renting out a summer cabin to the repair workers.  As you mentioned, it wouldn't be the first time!

;)

Odd, though, that it is so low with all the rain we've had.  I wonder it there were a major leak or break whether the state would bother to fix it.

30 minutes ago, Thaddeus Kosciuszko said:

Odd, though, that it is so low with all the rain we've had.  I wonder it there were a major leak or break whether the state would bother to fix it.

That's what I thought, too. The water level at the hydroelectric thingie further upstream (upcanal?) is normal, though. :scratchhead: