Ralph Alert - craft beer in Camden County

TrentonMakes

For @RalphWaldoMooseworth (or anyone else in South Jersey.....)  We have a project getting started in Collingswood and while we were there we planned to stop into the Devils Creek Brewery "downtown".  It's on Haddon Avenue just north of Collings Ave.  But they don't open until 5 on weekdays and we found ourselves with some time to kill.  The woman we met with mentioned another place, Tonewood Brewing, in Oaklyn, where I lived in the 90s - on Clinton Avenue across from the Manor Bar, which I visited a few times....  They opened at 4, so we got a pint there and then went back to Collingswood.

The "Black Eye" dark IPA at Devil's Creek was the winner of the day for me - heavy on the roasted malt (and a heavenly aroma) but still enough hop to balance.  The Fuego IPA at Tonewood was very grapefruit-y, a description which might put me off but I enjoyed it (quite refreshing on a warm afternoon).

Tonewood had a surprisingly large crowd at 4:15 on a Thursday afternoon.  That would be about a mile walk drunken stumble from my old apartment...

http://devilscreekbrewery.com/

https://www.tonewoodbrewing.com/

Hope this is news you can use. :D  

• Heart 4

• 1 year later...

The Barley House in Mercer appears to be closed down. I have no idea what happened to them. They have a big investment there and have only been open maybe six months. Their sign out by the road is gone and no cars in the parking lot the last two weeks. If I see anyone around I'm going to stop and ask them.

4 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

The Barley House in Mercer appears to be closed down. I have no idea what happened to them. They have a big investment there and have only been open maybe six months. Their sign out by the road is gone and no cars in the parking lot the last two weeks. If I see anyone around I'm going to stop and ask them.

Dangit!  I wanted to have a beer or two with you there!  Have you ever been to Sprague Farm Brewery?  I hope that one is still open!

1 minute ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Dangit!  I wanted to have a beer or tow with you there!  Have you ever been to Sprague Farm Brewery?  I hope that one is still open!

I haven't even heard of that one. Still lots of craft breweries around but I really liked the Barley House, it had a lot of potential. There is a new one between Pulaski and New Bedford, Brew 32 I think it's called. They are sinking a lot of money into that one too.  They bought a swimming place (was Muskarellis and later called Spring Water Acres). They put in a large parking area, a playground, horse shoe pits, Trails or sidewalks all over the property and around the lake. I haven't been there yet but it's on my list.

5 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

I haven't even heard of that one. Still lots of craft breweries around but I really liked the Barley House, it had a lot of potential. There is a new one between Pulaski and New Bedford, Brew 32 I think it's called. They are sinking a lot of money into that one too.  They bought a swimming place (was Muskarellis and later called Spring Water Acres). They put in a large parking area, a playground, horse shoe pits, Trails or sidewalks all over the property and around the lake. I haven't been there yet but it's on my list.

Isn't New Bedford that Jimmy Stewart place that Aire runs at?  Or is that Bedford Falls?

Hmm - first I ever heard of Lawrence County!  PA is a darn big state!

38 minutes ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Two words - Rye IPA!  Mmmmmm!  Had a great few beers there tonight.  smokebbqnj delivered some brisket.  Then saw a free concert at Haddon Lake Park by National Review.  Most excellent little microbrewery!  Screw you @KrAzY :D  Reminded me a little of the ones in Billings Montana, in a garage-like building.

Meh and your hipster man-bun wearing micro breweries! You would not know great beer if it suckeled your moobs... What.. what are we talking about and why screw me.. ?

3 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Dangit!  I wanted to have a beer or two with you there!  Have you ever been to Sprague Farm Brewery?  I hope that one is still open!

Sprague’s is still open.  It’s owned by  Brian and Minnie Sprague.  Minnie is my cousin.  They have a great business going.

• Awesome 1

7 hours ago, RalphWaldoMooseworth said:

Two words - Rye IPA!  Mmmmmm!  Had a great few beers there tonight.  smokebbqnj delivered some brisket.  Then saw a free concert at Haddon Lake Park by National Review.  Most excellent little microbrewery!  Screw you @KrAzY :D  Reminded me a little of the ones in Billings Montana, in a garage-like building.

nice.  (but which brewery did you go to?  I haven't had a chance to get back to either place since I posted this - so I can't name them by their beer lists)

3 hours ago, TrentonMakes said:

nice.  (but which brewery did you go to?  I haven't had a chance to get back to either place since I posted this - so I can't name them by their beer lists)

Tonewood.  The place was hopping!  I like that style microbrewery where the tanks are right there with you.

Lunacy is right next to Haddon Lake Park so would have been walking distance, but they are closed Wednesday.  But Tonewood sounded better anyway, and I wasn't disappointed.

They had a nice list of beers.  Had the saison first but it didn't quite float my boat.  The heavier styles I usually like were pretty high alcohol so I stayed away from them.  The Rye IPA hit the spot perfectly.  Very aromatic and just the right bite.

• Heart 1