Review of the New Balance MT410LB5

AirwickWithCheese

1 minute ago, 2Far said:

BTW, you been getting a lot of rain lately? It seems like it has rained every day for the last 2 weeks here. 

Same. Started raining on me tonight on my first steps and stopped 40 minutes later when I was 1 block from home. :)

• Heart 1

8 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

US 9 1/2 purchased from the Cherrydale Sans Souci Shoe Carnival on 7/1/17. 

Very comfortable walking shoe. I've always preferred New Balance over Nike (80% of Shoe Carnival seems to be dedicated to the Nike hippies)

Pro:  Not Nike, great price, $40.00 US, spare pair purchased for 1/2, extremely comfortable

Con: Seemingly sized small. Recommend going up at least one half size from your usual. I should have gotten 10s

I do not like Shoe Carnival but I must say the experience wasn't as bad as I was expecting. 

3 walks so far, tonight in the rain. Not as fun as wasting time in the Cafe but not unpleasant. 

@KrAzY

20170704_224435.thumb.jpg.310fdb61a3be8bbed2025d9ec9b503ed.jpg

I like that you are already planning to wear a pair out.  Get walking Cheese!! :skipping:

10 hours ago, AirwickWithCheese said:

Going to visit Wren's Nest there in West End late August. Meet me there and I'll buy lunch at the Varsity.    

Gimme a buzz. My schedule is wide open at the moment, but always subject to change.

You still have my number(ends in 6)?

7 hours ago, maddmaxx said:

Different shoe brands fit different people in different ways.  It pays to know what works for you.

Vive la difference.

I had a pair of No Balance a few years ago that I really liked, but then they must have changed something because the next ones I bought sucked. I HATE Nike shoes.  I had one pair of their shoes and said "never again". (I love their Dri Fit shorts, though.)

I've tried Asics (they were ok) Reebok (horrible - ran in them about three times and demoted them to street shoes) and now have Saucony -meh-. I seem to always come back to Brooks Adrenalines. 

2 minutes ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

I had a pair of No Balance a few years ago that I really liked, but then they must have changed something because the next ones I bought sucked. I HATE Nike shoes.  I had one pair of their shoes and said "never again". (I love their Dri Fit shorts, though.)

I've tried Asics (they were ok) Reebok (horrible - ran in them about three times and demoted them to street shoes) and now have Saucony -meh-. I seem to always come back to Brooks Adrenalines. 

When I ran I ran in Brooks Adrenalines.  I have used Nike basketball shoes for many years.  I have a pare of Nike's as casual shoes but I would never do anything serious in them.  Not because they are Nike's but because WoKzoo bought them for me as casual shoes and I never think about them for anything else.  I wear them about once every 2 months (yesterday was one of those).  WoKzoo bought me a pair of Under Armor shoes on Saturday but I haven't taken them out of the box and I'm not sure what I'll used them for?? 

2 hours ago, Kzoo said:

I have used Nike basketball shoes for many years.

Point taken - that's what they're known for, so I reserve judgement. Should this short, white guy decide to take up basketball, I'd give them a fair shake. I bought a pair of their running shoes and didn't even like them as a casual shoe! I'm running in Brooks Transcends now. They have some sort of "guide rail" thingies that I noticed made me toe off right through my big toe, but truth be told, I don't see them as that much better than the Adrenalines. I almost went for Hokas. They were interesting.

• Heart 1

I have wide and kinda flat feet.  I've been running in Brooks Ravenna 5.  I then moved to the 6 because the 5 was discontinued.  I don't think I'll go to the 7 (or now the 8) because I read on their site that they got too narrow.

I'll head back to a running store when my stock pile wears out.  I have two pair that only have a few miles, so I can probably get through the rest of the year and into the spring with what I have.

53 minutes ago, KrAzY said:

Nice looking kicks.. but I figured you for of a ruby slipper kind of guy

Says the man who lives within a rock throw of the greatest forumite in the history of forums but hasn't bothered to go shake his hand or mow his yard.   

• 2 weeks later...

Needed to update.     

2 weeks in and I give them a F now. All new tennis shoes feel like an improvement if you've overextended the life of your old pair. 

Mine were overextended by 2 years.   :)

So I got pain by the 3rd walk. Never had that happen before. Haven't been able to do my long walk since I got sick....

Noticed when I take Edgar for his midnight mile my feet hurt. Noticed after I cut grass my feet hurt. 

Finally dawned on me why. The shoes have almost zero cushion support. The new shoes are the equivalent of my 2 year old worn out NBs which is very poor. 

It's like walking in slippers, but they are billed as walking shoes. Hard for me to explain how it took me so long to realize this other than to say I have always loved New Balance and they have always been great shoes in the past. 

I plan on buying some orthopedic insoles and use them for working around the house, etc. Terrible. 

My feet hurt so bad after doing very little walking today it reminded me of the original review and my completely incorrect first impression. 

On 7/4/2017 at 11:01 PM, AirwickWithCheese said:

US 9 1/2 purchased from the Cherrydale Sans Souci Shoe Carnival on 7/1/17. 

Very comfortable walking shoe. I've always preferred New Balance over Nike..."

I always preferred New Balance as training and racing shoes when I coached high school track and cross country from the '80's to '02. They were first running shoes easy to find in choice of widths.

The pair I have now is the New Balance Fresh Foam Boracay M980GG2. It's a running shoe and it is cushioned so well I think it's the primary reason I'm not having problems with my Achilles tendons as I walk my way back into shape.

They're normally "on sale" for $74.95 but I got it them on sale a year ago for around $45, I think on Amazon Prime Day. They've been great over the past year. They'll be what I'll wearing during long walks away from the beach on my August Caribbean cruise.

M980GG2_GY_M90.thumb.JPG.0085f9f7054fc1e78a7c1ecaebb16bf3.JPG

• Heart 1