What is the Religion/Politics forum

BikeDude

I don't have to respect what they believe.

Why not?  It doesn't cost anything to respect that people are individuals and don't believe what you do or don't believe.

While I'm smart enough to know Santa doesn't exist, I still believe in the spirit of a Santa.  What's it to you to respect my right to believe this?

Respect for each other is free, the cost of disrespect is immeasurable.

Why not?  It doesn't cost anything to respect that people are individuals and don't believe what you do or don't believe.

While I'm smart enough to know Santa doesn't exist, I still believe in the spirit of a Santa.  What's it to you to respect my right to believe this?

Oh come on, no one ever respects the admin.  Part of the charm of the job.

I don't really care if someone respects my opinions or not.  When it turns into a constant barage because they want me to conform to their beliefs and feel they have some right to change me, I take offense. 

I will happily discuss my religion and my beliefs, but I won't force it upon you or anyone else.

• Heart 1

Well, very often their rationale for hating on gays or something comes from something they like to ask that I 'respect'...I cannot respect that. Your example sounds nice, but the reality is, several people here have issued their fatwahs or whatever against certain types of people and the like, and then they have the nerve to demand respect for their beliefs. No sir. Oh, hello Nate!

so Olas is still determined to say this is my doing? Hey, I posted 3 times and this is 4 pages. Seems to me like its more Olas telling us what Christians think

I'll tell you all this...if Christians really were like how Olas says, I'd be against them, too

But we're not like that

and that is what drives Olas nuts

Why would one want to do that....is it some form of Munchausen by proxy? 

You expect to even pretend to understand Olas's thinking?  I'm not nearly crazy enough for that, but just can't help but think he's pushing awfully hard for something and that's the only angle I can come up with since the other option is he's just a complete idiot, and not quite sure I believe that he's a complete idiot.

• Heart 1

You expect to even pretend to understand Olas's thinking?  I'm not nearly crazy enough for that, but just can't help but think he's pushing awfully hard for something and that's the only angle I can come up with since the other option is he's just a complete idiot, and not quite sure I believe that he's a complete idiot.

I like puzzles....even ones where parts are missing. 

Not sure, getting banned is an art that you have to work at.

I'd prefer to just move this thread if it gets out of hand.

Might as well. Then, you should probably let one of the other posters talk about God's loving grace in a thread...and how they hate gays. Or maybe how the Haitian people are godless pagans that deserve their fate in life. To be consistent.

so Olas is still determined to say this is my doing? Hey, I posted 3 times and this is 4 pages. Seems to me like its more Olas telling us what Christians think

I'll tell you all this...if Christians really were like how Olas says, I'd be against them, too

But we're not like that

and that is what drives Olas nuts

No, I'm just using u as an example.

Olas, I've never known anyone in my life who exhibits as much anger and hate as you do. I hope someday you get past your obsession. But that isn't in my hands. It's in God's.

Stop being intolerant religious basterds and supporting laws like the one in Arizona, Missouri, all the state bans on marriage, etc, stop interfering in US politics, start (voluntarily) paying taxes on your properties to the govt..stop going to countries like Uganda and promoting death sentences for gays, stop banning abortions and targeting doctors and publishing their home addresses on web sites, stop (or do something) about all the priests raping children, stop the campaign against women's rights, stop engaging in mission trips to provide aid only as a means for conversion (I'd love to see this done without any evangelical efforts, to put your money where your mouth is on the goodness of the religion) stop curbing education about scientific facts like radiometric dating that proves the Earth at least 'appears' to be much older than 6,000 years....etc etc......and FFS, stop 'agreeing' with this stuff in your comments and posts..... and I'll stop being angry at your people for doing that stuff. As I've said millions of times over, this stuff is just handed to me on a silver platter by some of you, and indeed, the events going on in the world.

I had to go back and look at the first response............  Yes it does.

So - who are the good guys and who are the bad guys here?  *stirring the pot*

SW, he's the bad guy you need to watch out for.

• Heart 2

Stop being intolerant religious basterds and supporting laws like the one in Arizona, Missouri, all the state bans on marriage, etc, stop interfering in US politics, start (voluntarily) paying taxes on your properties to the govt..stop going to countries like Uganda and promoting death sentences for gays, stop banning abortions and targeting doctors and publishing their home addresses on web sites, stop (or do something) about all the priests raping children, stop the campaign against women's rights, stop engaging in mission trips to provide aid only as a means for conversion (I'd love to see this done without any evangelical efforts, to put your money where your mouth is on the goodness of the religion) stop curbing education about scientific facts like radiometric dating that proves the Earth at least 'appears' to be much older than 6,000 years....etc etc......and FFS, stop 'agreeing' with this stuff in your comments and posts..... and I'll stop being angry at your people for doing that stuff. As I've said millions of times over, this stuff is just handed to me on a silver platter by some of you, and indeed, the events going on in the world.

Stop pretending you know what I think or believe or support. One more time, you do not.

But, I will agree with what I choose to. I do believe in God. I do believe in Jesus Christ.

I'm my world I do not lump all atheists or agnostics by the words or actions of a few . I'm glad I don't.

Again, I hope you get over your obsession some day.

Stop pretending you know what I think or believe or support. One more time, you do not.

But, I will agree with what I choose to. I do believe in God. I do believe in Jesus Christ.

I'm my world I do not lump all atheists or agnostics by the words or actions of a few . I'm glad I don't.

Again, I hope you get over your obsession some day.

When you get offended and stomp off the forums and come back a year or so later, it's not a reincarnation you know....I kinda have a good idea of what you think and believe.

What? I don't get offended and stomp off the forums.

When I leave, it's because of something that has absolutely nothing to do with you or your opinions. Wow, your self importance is pretty amazing. I won't lie and pretend that I don't find you offensive. I do. But I don't back away from here because of you. You really think that?

Wow.

When I leave, it's because of something that has absolutely nothing to do with you or your opinions. Wow, your self importance is pretty amazing. I won't lie and pretend that I don't find you offensive. I do. But I don't back away from here because of you. You really think that?

Wow.

Never said it had much to do with me, but I've witnessed your exodus from the forum(s) at least twice over the years...ultimately I'm not sure if it had anything to do with what we were even talking about, but you sure would voice your distaste for something, and make your grand exit. I'd go dig it up, but that would take half the day because I don't recall what thread it was. No, I was just remarking that you've been around for several years like I have, and we've talked about this stuff. In fact, I'd saved some religious discussion we had waaay back in the day because it was interesting...not sure where that is, but I did save it.

Yep, I've been around since about 1999, maybe earlier. I 'left' the forum for several years after 08, but popped in intermittently.I stopped posting again last October, I believe. I am pretty sure I've stopped posting plenty of times. I can simply recall the ones I've listed. But no, nothing to do with any conversations I've had with you.

But you track my posting? I should be flattered I suppose...

All, I do not think this is going anywhere productive, but I could be wrong, I hope I am.  

This is where they fought the battle of Gettysburg. Fifty thousand men died right here on this field, fighting the same fight that we are still fighting among ourselves today. This green field right here, painted red, bubblin' with the blood of young boys. Smoke and hot lead pouring right through their bodies. Listen to their souls, men. I killed my brother with malice in my heart. Hatred destroyed my family. You listen, and you take a lesson from the dead. If we don't come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don't care if you like each other of not, but you will respect each other. And maybe... I don't know, maybe we'll learn to play this game like men.

All, I do not think this is going anywhere productive, but I could be wrong, I hope I am.  

This is where they fought the battle of Gettysburg. Fifty thousand men died right here on this field, fighting the same fight that we are still fighting among ourselves today. This green field right here, painted red, bubblin' with the blood of young boys. Smoke and hot lead pouring right through their bodies. Listen to their souls, men. I killed my brother with malice in my heart. Hatred destroyed my family. You listen, and you take a lesson from the dead. If we don't come together right now on this hallowed ground, we too will be destroyed, just like they were. I don't care if you like each other of not, but you will respect each other. And maybe... I don't know, maybe we'll learn to play this game like men.

I am afraid you are right, jsharr.

Zealot, ask Olas why he won't donate blood.  His reasons are ironic for someone who doesn't beleive in 'fairy tales'.

1. Not a fan of needles

2. Don't like the idea of being a pint down when I do ride and might need the blood in case I do get into an accident, however long it takes to be replaced...it's still a pint of blood my body needs, or else I wouldn't have it.

3. There's no law that says I have to donate blood.

4. My decision doesn't result in any political shifts in this country, nor does it result in legislation, or persecution of other people. Nor do I ask anyone else to hold this opinion.

5. Not a fan of needles

6. Don't like the lightheadedness and other temporary effects from dontating blood. Yes, I've done it several times before.

7. Don't care for the bruising all down your arm when the nurse fcks it up every time.

Did I mention needles?

Red Cross's site also says this: The plasma from your donation is replaced within about 24 hours. Red cells need about four to six weeks for complete replacement. That’s why at least eight weeks are required between whole blood donations.

To be completely fair, I've not bothered to research the loss of red cells and their effects, but again, it's a pint of plasma/red cells combo that I already have and I don't have any personal inclination to go out and donate it unless it strikes my fancy. I understand that I could probably donate one of my kidneys to somebody too and keep on trucking as well, but I'm not signing up for that either. This is a weak comparison to your religious beliefs.

It's #2 I was referring to.  The idea that "I might need it on a ride in case I get into an accident."  Myth and superstition at work yet you ridicule others for believing in things that you call myth and superstition.  That my friend is irony.  When you're in the emergency room and in need of blood they don't ask your opinion on needles. In fact, I don't like needles but donate anyway because I can and it helps others.  Compassion.

Wow.

You are not allowed to leave again.  :angry:

So, if all those conditions are met you'd stop being angry?  Forgive me, but I harbor some doubts.  Perhaps you might dispel them.

What about all the other organizations and businesses that 'interfere' in US politics?  Are you angry at them too?

And all the other non-profit organizations - that aren't affiliated with religions - that don't pay taxes on their properties? Are you angry at them too?

And all the men who are not priests who rape children? Are you angry at them too?

Just out of curiosity, is it only people of Christian faith whom you despise so vehemently?  Would people of the Jewish faith, Buddhists, Hindus, and Muslims all rank equally low in your eyes? Are you angry at them too?

And if it's matter of a religion 'saying one thing and doing another' that makes you so upset, what of the government officials, corporate boards, and private business owners who promise things publicly but do the exact opposite for gain?  Are you angry at them too?

If you like the quote, then I suggest you make a visit to the Antietam National Park in Sharpsburg, MD.  It's not as big nor as developed as Gettysburg.  But the park - to me - seemed to have a sense very similar to that of the quote above. 

If you like the quote, then I suggest you make a visit to the Antietam National Park in Sharpsburg, MD.  It's not as big nor as developed as Gettysburg.  But the park - to me - seemed to have a sense very similar to that of the quote above. 

I have been to several National Cemeteries.  Just walking amongst the graves made me feel much of that.  Seeing the names of brothers and fathers who fought and died for a battle that is still being fought today.   We were not made to hate each other.    

It's #2 I was referring to.  The idea that "I might need it on a ride in case I get into an accident."  Myth and superstition at work yet you ridicule others for believing in things that you call myth and superstition.  That my friend is irony.  When you're in the emergency room and in need of blood they don't ask your opinion on needles. In fact, I don't like needles but donate anyway because I can and it helps others.  Compassion.

Well, it's not the #1 or #2 reason in terms of priority, it's just a list. Your comparison again is just stupid. It's not really a myth or superstition, just a pet notion as it were that I'd prefer to be up on all my pints in the event of an accident.

Now am I worried about getting into a wreck that much that it drives my decision on this? Hell no. Just something that occurred to me when I pondered some of the reasons why I'm not keen on donating. It may be small, remote, even damn near impossible, but still in the back of my head. Also and this is purely selfish in a sense, I don't want to be down on red cells or anything if I want to hit certain numbers each day on my rides. Sue me.

Compassion? I've donated before, not a fan of the procedure more than anything else. This may be news to you, but most people don't typically donate blood, nor do they think about doing it much. If they do donate, it's maybe once or twice a year, tops. So, kudos to you for being a blood donor every 8 weeks or whatever the law allows, but it doesn't make you more compassionate than me or anyone else. I just don't care for donating. Sheesh. Would I donate for a cause I believed in? Sure. A family member? Absolutely. A friend? Sure. If I had a rare type? Maybe....  Just because? Probably not.