What is the Religion/Politics forum

BikeDude

If you like the quote, then I suggest you make a visit to the Antietam National Park in Sharpsburg, MD.  It's not as big nor as developed as Gettysburg.  But the park - to me - seemed to have a sense very similar to that of the quote above.

And I am truly honored that I was able to share that visit with you.
  • Heart 1

So, if all those conditions are met you'd stop being angry?  Forgive me, but I harbor some doubts.  Perhaps you might dispel them.

What about all the other organizations and businesses that 'interfere' in US politics?  Are you angry at them too?

And all the other non-profit organizations - that aren't affiliated with religions - that don't pay taxes on their properties? Are you angry at them too?

And all the men who are not priests who rape children? Are you angry at them too?

Just out of curiosity, is it only people of Christian faith whom you despise so vehemently?  Would people of the Jewish faith, Buddhists, Hindus, and Muslims all rank equally low in your eyes? Are you angry at them too?

And if it's matter of a religion 'saying one thing and doing another' that makes you so upset, what of the government officials, corporate boards, and private business owners who promise things publicly but do the exact opposite for gain?  Are you angry at them too?

Sure am angry.. and from time to time, I've pointed those groups out. Probably not here because this forum isn't very long lived, but I have on the other place. Christians however have a nasty habit of putting themselves in the news here, and the current population here is a bunch of Jesus worshippers...and some of the stuff you guys say...... Again, this is just a message board. If this forum didn't have such a low membership and topic posting rate, you'd probably see dozens of religious or political threads popping up. I don't think what I'm doing here is much cause for analysis...the only reason you guys are in such a wad over it is indeed because of the low traffic here.......Finally, I'm very familiar with Christians because of my history, and of course, my switch over the decades to agnosticism and 'noticing' things more often now than perhaps I did a dozen years ago. Sue me for commenting on the ironic BS of the religion I was raised to believe in and that still predominates the country. It's funny you guys seem to think your religion is still some sort of minor cult or something that has very little impact on things, or much visibility in this country.

I hate other religions too, just don't get as much ammo for those, although I could fairly say that Islam was responsible for the death of my friend from basic training... I was pretty well known for blasting Islam at the other place too, if you didn't notice. I recall also some idiot at the other forum who refused to attend his brother's wedding because he was some die-hard Jewish orthodox type who couldn't be allowed to set foot in a Christian church or something..... The idiocy, its more than just you guys. Not that Nate didn't provide plenty of ammo back in the day when he posted his Catholic rantings...which he would often do in the guise of being funny, but was actually quite serious about it.... again, very often, your peeps would often be like hand feeding a tiger with some of the stuff you'd post. Indy IIRC often would rant something religious or having to do with Global Warming.... Expect to get bitten if you're gonna say stupid stuff.

I'm not seeing what you're seeing.

Eh... it's not like there's a whole lot to see. I think at my peak, I might've posted something religious or political maybe once every few weeks at best at the other place. EPG or RG had me beat by far...in fact, I think they tended to start most of them. Here, I never even got the chance to. It always ended up usually being one particular thread (as with here) that somehow everybody would lose their sheot. One thread...out of how many? I might be 'angry' at the stuff I see, but sheesh, it's not like I'm posting about it so much that it's indicative of anything other than the fact that I did notice whatever it was...like seeing the bit about Arizona in the news....again, most of this stuff just comes to me....would feel wrong not to comment about it...in fact, I usually check the other place to see if somebody hadn't already said something first.

I must say again, would you guys even notice (me) if this forum were more active? Probably not. Food for thought.

:sigh:

If anyone's in a 'wad' over this, Olas, it's because your words mimic the very thing you purport to hate.

Over 'this' yes, I am, because you guys are an ironic lot. And maybe I'm in this boat with you guys, but I ask again the question about how much you'd notice anything I'd say if this forum were any bigger.

It's common for people to be hateful of what they percieve as hateful. It's ironic, but people are hypocritical in general.  It's the fallen nature of us. 

Nonsense. People can be hypocritical for a lot of reasons/causes.... nothing inherently bad about mankind because of that. That's another aspect of your religion that's just silly. We aren't 'fallen'...people just have varying motivations or needs or the like, they conflict...and some people sometimes are on the receiving end of that which might impact them negatively. Doesn't mean either person is being an a-hole because there's a bad seed in mankind or whatever.

(Btw, perfect example of something you guys tend to say)

Problem is, is that some folks get to riled up on either side of this issue. Does'nt matter if you're following a faith or not, it's just that it is such an emotional issue, anger overrides courtesy. I like the idea of a seperate forum for these arguements....if you want to argue pro/con of faith, have at it over there.

As far as Mr. Squarewheels pulling posts? Please,,,,he lets us have our way without much finger wagging. I mean...he left my Santa lap dance photo up till the season was over. Can you imagine hiker leaving that photo up for more than a few minutes?

The forum switch at the other place was not the reason people left. The attitude of so many just went south. One example would be why Jsharr bailed. There was no reason for whatshisname the bike shop owner to go off on Jsharr the way he did, just because he teaches scouts marksmanship. I mean...that guys behavior was just pure dick.

Velobro is very anti-gun...I didn't see that thread, but I know that VB is gone..or at least seems to be. Wait...so Jsharr started a topic that somebody took offense to? lol..... 

Nonsense. People can be hypocritical for a lot of reasons/causes.... nothing inherently bad about mankind because of that. That's another aspect of your religion that's just silly. We aren't 'fallen'...people just have varying motivations or needs or the like, they conflict...and some people sometimes are on the receiving end of that which might impact them negatively. Doesn't mean either person is being an a-hole because there's a bad seed in mankind or whatever.

(Btw, perfect example of something you guys tend to say)

I guess it goes over his head, folks.

I guess it goes over his head, folks.

Meh, just commenting on your little add-on to that statement. I find the idea that mankind is 'fallen' rather sad when it comes to the ideals of that religion for one...it's a very negative notion and so very wrong. But, I'm not alone. There's a few denominations out there that don't buy into that at all. I even picked up a pamphlet at a national park that went on about that. I found some of that group's rantings in the pamphlet actually quite pleasing as far a philosophy. If I had to go full-tilt religious, the last thing I'd ever do is consider myself anything less than exactly what my God intended, or that I had to spend my life making up for the 'sins' of someone else (Adam and Steve). Add that to the list of 10 million things wrong with certain faiths.....

Meh, just commenting on your little add-on to that statement. I find the idea that mankind is 'fallen' rather sad when it comes to the ideals of that religion for one...it's a very negative notion and so very wrong. But, I'm not alone. There's a few denominations out there that don't buy into that at all. I even picked up a pamphlet at a national park that went on about that. I found some of that group's rantings in the pamphlet actually quite pleasing as far a philosophy.

Indeed, it is sad, but not for the reasons you think.

Indeed, it is sad, but not for the reasons you think.

And here we go, more assumptions on your part. It's great you assume your religion has any place for the rest of mankind, it just doesn't. Kinda like my personal issues on blood donation. It stops with you. The end. But, I was interrupting you while you made my point for me...do go on.

You are aware, right, that there are other people on this planet that aren't Christian, right? I'm just checking....because you claim you are aware, but then you say stuff like this....

And here we go, more assumptions on your part. It's great you assume your religion has any place for the rest of mankind, it just doesn't. Kinda like my personal issues on blood donation. It stops with you. The end. But, I was interrupting you while you made my point for me...do go on.

You are aware, right, that there are other people on this planet that aren't Christian, right? I'm just checking....because you claim you are aware, but then you say stuff like this....

Ironic, isn't it?  You have no problem making assumptions about everyone else, but get upset if assumptions are made about you. 

Ironic, isn't it?  You have no problem making assumptions about everyone else, but get upset if assumptions are made about you. 

Me? No, You're assuming for everyone. Nice dodge, but I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

Oh, the 'fall'...defined for you...  take special notice that this is a 'Christian' belief...you are assuming that others are supposed to buy into it as well. It's great for you, but keep your blood donation theories to yourself, eh?

In Christian theology, the fall of man, or the fall, is a term used to describe the transition of the first man and woman from a state of innocent obedience to God to a state of guilty disobedience. Although not named in the Bible, the doctrine of the fall comes from a biblical interpretation of Genesis chapter 3. At first, Adam and Eve live with God in the Garden of Eden, but the serpent tempts them into eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, which God forbade. After doing so, they became ashamed of their nakedness and God expelled them from the Garden to prevent them from eating of the tree of life and becoming immortal.

For many Christian denominations the doctrine of the fall is closely related to that of original sin. They believe that the fall brought sin into the world, corrupting the entire natural world, including human nature, causing all humans to be born into original sin, a state from which they cannot attain eternal life without the grace of God. The Eastern Orthodox Church accepts the concept of the fall but rejects the idea that the guilt of original sin is passed down through generations, based in part on the passage Ezekiel 18:20 that says a son is not guilty of the sins of his father. Calvinist Protestants believe that Jesus gave his life as a sacrifice for the elect, so they may be redeemed from their sin. Other religions, such as Judaism and Gnosticism, do not have a concept of "the fall" or "original sin" and have varying other interpretations of the Eden narrative. The term "prelapsarian" refers to the sin-free state of humanity prior to the fall.

You know, if you guys would stop saying stuff and then tacking on things like "of course this is because of the fallen nature of man" or "it doesn't matter, in the end there will be a judgment"... I wouldn't have too many issues with some of the things you guys say, even about me.

Me? No, You're assuming for everyone. Nice dodge, but I'm still waiting for an answer to my question.

Oh, the 'fall'...defined for you...  take special notice that this is a 'Christian' belief...you are assuming that others are supposed to buy into it as well. It's great for you, but keep your blood donation theories to yourself, eh?

In Christian theology, the fall of man, or the fall, is a term used to describe the transition of the first man and woman from a state of innocent obedience to God to a state of guilty disobedience. Although not named in the Bible, the doctrine of the fall comes from a biblical interpretation of Genesis chapter 3. At first, Adam and Eve live with God in the Garden of Eden, but the serpent tempts them into eating the fruit from the tree of knowledge of good and evil, which God forbade. After doing so, they became ashamed of their nakedness and God expelled them from the Garden to prevent them from eating of the tree of life and becoming immortal.

For many Christian denominations the doctrine of the fall is closely related to that of original sin. They believe that the fall brought sin into the world, corrupting the entire natural world, including human nature, causing all humans to be born into original sin, a state from which they cannot attain eternal life without the grace of God. The Eastern Orthodox Church accepts the concept of the fall but rejects the idea that the guilt of original sin is passed down through generations, based in part on the passage Ezekiel 18:20 that says a son is not guilty of the sins of his father. Calvinist Protestants believe that Jesus gave his life as a sacrifice for the elect, so they may be redeemed from their sin. Other religions, such as Judaism and Gnosticism, do not have a concept of "the fall" or "original sin" and have varying other interpretations of the Eden narrative. The term "prelapsarian" refers to the sin-free state of humanity prior to the fall.

No...I only assumed about you......the irony is you getting in a tizzy over it when you do that to damned near everyone else.  Whether it's religion or political alignment, you make your assumptions and get all bent out of shape about people telling your full of it.  It's would be funny if it weren't so Jim like.

No...I only assumed about you......the irony is you getting in a tizzy over it when you do that to damned near everyone else.  Whether it's religion or political alignment, you make your assumptions and get all bent out of shape about people telling your full of it.  It's would be funny if it weren't so Jim like.

So, I'm 'full of it' because you assume mankind is fallen? I'm not getting in a 'tizzy' over it, I'm just commenting that the notion of mankind being fallen is silly, so why'd you say that. This is discussion here, not a forum for you to say something that might be reasonable, only for you to tack on your little 'copyright-god' thingy at the end. Again, this is exactly the kind of stuff I keep talking about.  

Seriously, if you were at work and just talking about somebody being hypocritical, would you have injected that little 'fall of mankind' bs? What kind of forum for your thoughts do you think this is where you get a free pass on everything you say, or only certain parts of your speech are meant to be responded to?

So, I'm 'full of it' because you assume mankind is fallen? I'm not getting in a 'tizzy' over it, I'm just commenting that the notion of mankind being fallen is silly, so why'd you say that. This is discussion here, not a forum for you to say something that might be reasonable, only for you to tack on your little 'copyright-god' thingy at the end. Again, this is exactly the kind of stuff I keep talking about.  

Seriously, if you were at work and just talking about somebody being hypocritical, would you have injected that little 'fall of mankind' bs? What kind of forum for your thoughts do you think this is where you get a free pass on everything you say, or only certain parts of your speech are meant to be responded to?

Mankind is "fallen", whether you think it's from the biblical story, or just a bunch of broken people.  I really don't care which way you choose to believe....but you are a prime example that supports my assertion. 

• Heart 1

Mankind is "fallen", whether you think it's from the biblical story, or just a bunch of broken people.  I really don't care which way you choose to believe....but you are a prime example that supports my assertion. 

I'd roll my eyes modo, but just curious, where do you live?. I think only doing this in person would have the proper effect.

Sonic tots...yes sir. Might as well talk about something else. Modo singlehandedly ended this one on a finer note than I could have asked for.

Never had Sonic yet. I'll have to try and hunt one down

fries are better. 

BLASPHEMY! 

These kind of threads are lame. I wish everyone, on both sides, would shut up about religion.

Indeed they can be. But serious question here, many of us (me included) day things similar to what you just said, but still find our way into reading these discussions. No one makes us. But we do it and then comment on them. Why?

I've been in meetings all day.  I stopped by at lunch and the same thing was going on.

I'm heading home soon, I'll check this post in 4 or 5 hours.  If there is more of the same continuing then, it will be moved to P&R.

Call me all the dictatorial names you wish, this post is not what this site is about.

We're talking about tots...mein Fuhrer

Sonic tots...yes sir. Might as well talk about something else. Modo singlehandedly ended this one on a finer note than I could have asked for.

Never had Sonic yet. I'll have to try and hunt one down

Don't waste your time and money.  Sonic is lame.  Their tots taste like fat and salt, nothing else.

I've been in meetings all day.  I stopped by at lunch and the same thing was going on.

I'm heading home soon, I'll check this post in 4 or 5 hours.  If there is more of the same continuing then, it will be moved to P&R.

Call me all the dictatorial names you wish, this post is not what this site is about.

My first post, in the form of an innocent question, is about to be thrown on the secret P&R heap.  What can I do to follow that up?

So what do you think about our great president?

Come to Cincinnati, I'll make you some real tots.  Shredded potatoes, bacon, cheese, jalapeno and egg fried in Canola oil until brown and crispy.  I'll post pics next week.

When I'm there, Can we go beat up Hillary? I miss doing that!