Four inches + of rain last night

team scooter

With the ground already saturated from several inches in the last few weeks, the Roads are closed or underwater everywhere. Water flowing out of the farm fields and rushing across the roads. Tried three different routes to get to work and had to turn back. Finally got a call from work telling me to take the day off anyway. The bosses were all trapped too. My sump pumps haven't started pumping yet but I'll be surprised if they dont. Last time we had this much rain in such a short period, the pumps ran nonstop for months until the lake level went back down.

Last night the weatherheads said it was going to go just south of us, they were wrong. The Mrs made it to work just before the flood waters overtook her route and they closed the roads. Another "Hundred Year Flood" just nine years after we had the last one. :huh:

That mess in Wilbur's pic is headed toward us.  Actually the leading edge just hit (rain on the office window and dark skies)  I don't think they are talking anywhere close to your downfall levels though.  We do have flood warning out - just received the notification on the phone.

Stay safe Mr. Scooter.

So far the area totals are 7.5 inches and up. I tried driving into town and all the roads near the local creek are blocked and backed up with traffic. The main state highway though town has all the traffic, including large trucks, detoured down our little county road. So just trying to get out of the subdivision is hard. With all this rain in the hot, dry dog days part of the summer, you'd almost think someone bought a convertible or something. :angry:

5 hours ago, Road Runner said:

I'm afraid this stormy and hot weather is going to become the new "normal" for most of us as global warming ramps up its effects on the world's weather.  :(

Even if you believe the most dire analysis, the average temp of the earth has gone up .9C since 1880.  No human can possibly notice the weather being hotter than it was when they were a kid.

Just now, Road Runner said:

Maybe some idiot washed his car.

I haven't washed the new car on purpose (against my wife's best wishes, its dusty) since we bought it three weeks ago. I've even been carrying around a paid receipt for the deluxe wash the whole time. :D

10 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Even if you believe the most dire analysis, the average temp of the earth has gone up .9C since 1880.  No human can possibly notice the weather being hotter than it was when they were a kid.

Reading comprehension??:whistle: He was referring I think to 'stormy and hot weather' which could be a potential spin off of the 'global warming pattern' however slight. I am not after an argument, just want folks to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

• Heart 1

3 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

From NASA:

Capture.JPG.c2a82c4ebb964343c2539fe27a17ac86.JPG

So, you can tell a 1.1C difference in average temps over the course of the year?  You must be a lot more sensitive than anyone else who has ever existed.

Also, if we must fight over .2C difference, my number also came from NASA...

https://earthobservatory.nasa.gov/Features/GISSTemperature/giss_temperature2.php59667d4026545_Image2.png.719d07860f4d0f432e985479d96f9f66.png

9 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

Reading comprehension??:whistle: He was referring I think to 'stormy and hot weather' which could be spin off of the 'global warming pattern' however slight. I am not after an argument, just want folks to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges.

Correct.  I wasn't saying that I could personally detect a big difference in temperature.  I do know that the weather pattern here where I live has warmed up and storms have become more frequent and violent over the past few years.  I believe this is a result of global warming.  Everyone can "believe" what they want.  The effects of global warming are here and are only going to get worse in the near future, no matter what anyone "believes".  The evidence is overwhelming.

Just now, Road Runner said:

Correct.  I wasn't saying that I could personally detect a big difference in temperature.  I do know that the weather pattern here where I live has warmed up and storms have become more frequent and violent over the past few years.  I believe this is a result of global warming.  Everyone can "believe" what they want.  The effects of global warming are here and are only going to get worse in the near future, no matter what you anyone "believes".  The evidence is overwhelming.

How do you know that?  You have scientific evidence to point to?  Does any of it point to an affect large enough for a person being able to notice there is more hot weather now than when they were a kid? 

I'm not arguing that there isn't global warming.  What I'm saying is that it's so subtle, no one can possibly notice it without exhaustive comparative measurements.  Saying that "hot weather is going to be the new normal" is vastly overstating the affect, IMO.

33 minutes ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

How do you know that?  You have scientific evidence to point to?  Does any of it point to an affect large enough for a person being able to notice there is more hot weather now than when they were a kid? 

I'm not arguing that there isn't global warming.  What I'm saying is that it's so subtle, no one can possibly notice it without exhaustive comparative measurements.  Saying that "hot weather is going to be the new normal" is vastly overstating the affect, IMO.

I guess we'll see who is right before too long.  Yes, I follow my local weather religiously.  I watch the trends and have noticed obvious differences over the past few years.  It is sort of a hobby of mine.  

Most of the warming occurred in the past 35 years, with 16 of the 17 warmest years on record occurring since 2001.   Not only was 2016 the warmest year on record, but eight of the 12 months that make up the year — from January through September, with the exception of June — were the warmest on record for those respective months. 

20 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

I guess we'll see who is right before too long.  Yes, I follow my local weather religiously.  I watch the trends and have noticed obvious differences over the past few years.  It is sort of a hobby of mine.  

I still think you're vastly overstating it.  At current trends, it'll rise another .5C in 35 years.  When I think "hotter weather", I'm thinking more than one or two degrees.

You're religiously charting and comparing daily temps and weather phenomenon at your local weather station and can point to that data to show rising temp trends in your area?  I'd like to see that, I think.

Again, those warmest years on record are only minutely warmer than the previous record.  Less than .1C hotter.  That's not enough for a person to notice it's hotter.

I don't think we are talking heat here..we are talking different weather patterns..for us seems like wetter springs and hotter and drier summers..with more severe storms when they do happen..And yes we still have winter here..might have  a warmer than average or less snow...it isn't  based on a year but the overall pattern

10 hours ago, team scooter said:

With the ground already saturated from several inches in the last few weeks,

Up here in the big city of Sheboygan Falls in the last 24 hours I think that we got maybe 1/2 inch of rain.