Douch, What You Do Or What You Have?

ChrisL

So I've learned recently that having certain items makes one a douch. Apparently Yeti mugs are one, Patagonia Puffys are another.  I'm guessing a BMW is a third. I always thought douch was a descriptor of behavior, not posessions.

So my question is: If the Mother Teresa (assuming still alive) was cold and put on a Patagonia Puffy and drank a hot beverage from a Yeti mug while serving food to the poor children of a remote mountain city, is she a douch or just using douchy things?

We coined the term "douche tag" years ago.  Douche tags are the things that douchesbag have or do.  Walking around the office on a cordless phone headset talking about deals outside your office is a douche tag.

Jorts are a douche tag

Affliction shirts

Ed Harvey Jeans

Dulce Gabana or Louis Vuitton baseball caps

t

What percentage of the population are you trying to please or impress? Are you happy? Buy and use what you can afford and like. That should be the only thing that matters to you and yours. Have you ever been called a 'Fred' or referred to someone else as a 'Fred' that were riding their bike in a tee-shirt and jeans?:whistle:

• Heart 2

Just now, sheep_herder said:

What percentage of the population are you trying to please or impress? Are you happy? Buy and use what you can afford and like. That should be the only thing that matters to you and yours. Have you ever been called a 'Fred' or referred to someone else as a 'Fred' that were riding their bike in a tee-shirt and jeans?:whistle:

So to put it in Montana terms,  if I fished the Yellowstone with a Thomas & Thomas rod does that make me a douche?  My brother gave me his before he died, I really don't know if I should use it or not cor fear of being labeled a fly fishing douch... or is that a snob move?

4 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

So to put it in Montana terms,  if I fished the Yellowstone with a Thomas & Thomas rod does that make me a douche?  My brother gave me his before he died, I really don't know if I should use it or not cor fear of being labeled a fly fishing douch... or is that a snob move?

I do not label folks for what they use or do, and I think the world would be a better place if others were not so concerned about this.  Actually, I laugh when folks here call some posers for riding nice bicycles, but their talent does not quite match the ride.  Live and let live and be Happy.

• Heart 2

1 minute ago, sheep_herder said:

I do not label folks for what they use or do, and I think the world would be a better place if others were not so concerned about this.  Actually, I laugh when folks here call some posers for riding nice bicycles, but their talent does not quite match the ride.  Live and let live and be Happy.

I called Wilber a poser the other day.  Bastid deserved it too!

• Heart 1

I actually thought a guy was a douche the other day at the gym.  He spent all his time taking selfies especially when he could sneak a girl into the background.  The rest of his time was spent leering at every semi-fit woman there.  I shook my head when he noticed I caught him.  I think he knows my thoughts.. 

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, sheep_herder said:

I know I'm poking the bear but this is my point exactly!  Well said sir, couldn't have said it better myself.

5 minutes ago, Dirtyhip said:

I never said they made anyone a douche.  They are just a trendy item right now. 

Maybe I shouldn't have quoted you as others were dishing the hate.  You just referenced the hipster trendy thing which I interpreted as a bash.

3 minutes ago, ChrisL said:

Maybe I shouldn't have quoted you as others were dishing the hate.  You just referenced the hipster trendy thing which I interpreted as a bash.

Just trying to avoid the need to buy all the new gadgets.  Retirement is looming soon.

• Heart 2

I think it's kind of douchy if you buy stuff with the intent on trying to impress other people. Especially when you can't really afford it. Form follows function for the products mentioned. But somewhere along the line it became trendy. 

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I think it's kind of douchy if you buy stuff with the intent on trying to impress other people. Especially when you can't really afford it. Form follows function for the products mentioned. But somewhere along the line it became trendy. 

So much this. Chris just has better English than I do.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

Somehow in my wal-mart t's and TJ Max shorts at the restaurant tonight I don't think it's going to be what I'm wearing that makes me a douche.

There is an exception to almost every rule.  Sadly, you are that exception is most cases.

1 minute ago, maddmaxx said:

No.  The fact that I'm going to a texmex restaurant that puts beans in the chili is what will make me a douche.

Only if you eat the chili beans.  You will absolve yourself of all douchiness by standing up and degrading the restaurant publicly for such a barbaric practice.

45 minutes ago, Chris... said:

I get your point but is it the action that is douchy or the product?  By your logic, if formfollows function then I have become a douch for using a high end mug that is useful as he'll and I got as a gift.  I suppose I should've dumped it to keep from being a douch? Maybe I should I have told my dying brother, sorry bro I can't take your cherished $1,500 fly rod as other anglers will think I'm a douch for using It?

This logic seems a bit off to me.  

• Heart 1

There are some things that are very emblematic of being a douche, but they generally involve what you do vs. what you have.  They do get connected, though.

Since humans are (and rightly so) judging machines, you compile a lot of information of what douchey people do and under what circumstances and context that they do it.  If common experience picks up on certain elements, it becomes societal shorthand and informs you of the likelihood of douchiness before the other information can be collected.  I guess what it really means is that if you want to be the book that is judged by the cover, then go ahead and do the things that will get you labeled before you have a chance to represent yourself differently.  As an example, be the white guy wearing the baseball cap slightly askew to one side, and I will pretty much guarantee that you are a douchebag..  Be the black guy doing the same thing, and it is simply part of a broader cultural aesthetic, and is not enough information to judge that person in most situations.  Context is everything.

Why I say "rightly so" about the judging is because it is very helpful to judge and realize when you are in a less than optimal scenario or situation, you need those abilities honed to extricate yourself if you have to.  Pick out the people who will do you harm, or that you shouldn't date, or that will frustrate you and waste your time, these are survival skills you might later refer to as intuition or somesuch.  Yeah, you will be wrong occasionally, but you will be right the vast majority of the time because you are constantly calibrating what is what.

That said, having one or two particular elements of what is perceived as being douchey isn't bad at all if you like and enjoy those things, and really, most times you just don't (and shouldn't) give a fuck.  Like Chris said, if you are buying for you, not douchey.  If you are buying with intent to impress, totally douchey.

• Heart 1

3 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Of course not. But posing with it in a facebook selfie pointing at the name on the rod probably would.

• Heart 2

5 hours ago, Chris... said:

Of course not. But posing with it in a facebook selfie pointing at the name on the rod probably would.

Right but that's the action, not the product.  Some are asserting that the mere possession of the product makes one a douche....  This I don't agree with.