Is it ever too hot to ride?

Road Runner

It never was for me when I was younger and without so many ailments.  I loved the heat, the hotter the better.  Of course, I always ride just before sunset, never in the hottest part of the day.

Anyway, I must now consider myself a complete wuss.  The last two days with temps in the upper 90's and the heat index around 110, I have stayed indoors in the AC.  I suppose the end is not very far away.

• Heart 1

10 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

It never was for me when I was younger and without so many ailments.  I loved the heat, the hotter the better.  Of course, I always ride just before sunset, never in the hottest part of the day.

Anyway, I must now consider myself a complete wuss.  The last two days with temps in the upper 90's and the heat index around 110, I have stayed indoors in the AC.  I suppose the end is not very far away.

We will miss you when you are gone.  Please make sure your graveside service is in a tent with A/C just in case I decide to come.

• Heart 3

Just now, maddmaxx said:

Got lights?

I don't.  Even though I've played with the idea, the trails I ride are populated at night by critters I'd rather not ride with.

I used to ride at night but gave that up years ago.  It doesn't feel safe to me and I have the same problem with "critters".

• Heart 1

5 minutes ago, Old#7 said:

I ride at sunrise. It's a nice quiet time to ride and there's no darkness sneaking up on you. It doesn't get really hot until later. 

I like the very early morning rides.  There is usually a bit of mist in the woods.  Shafts of sunlight make it interesting and the condensation on your glasses and mirror are cool too.  It's cooler, but the residual high humidity of the previous night means you will be soaked by the end of the first uphill stretch.  You still meet the occasional critter but they are on their way home from work and don't want much trouble.

• Heart 2

It's 98 F here right now with a heat index of probably 200.   :(

I still might go out, but if I do, I will ride easy, something like a 15 mph pace.  

I use to like to ride in the heat, because my ride is in the suburbs/city and the streets are always more deserted when it is hot.  Car traffic is less of a problem.  I guess people don't even want to go out and get in their cars when it is this hot.   :)

4 minutes ago, Road Runner said:

Okay.  I rode 21 miles in the stifling heat.  Actually wasn't as bad as I anticipated.  It never is..   :)

It is easy to become intimidated while watching the local news and every other story is about how freaking hot it is.   :rolleyes:

The good part aboot cycling is it is pretty self-regulating with the wind in your face. :)

When it is too hot to do many other things ootside, I turn to cycling. :)

• Heart 1

I got lost up on the ridge, in stiffling high heat / high humidity weather. Ran out of water, and was a hurting pup when I found a store. Drank a bunch of Gaterade and water, ate something, rested in the shade for a bit. Thought I was good to go, headed for home (mostly downhill )

Cramped up so bad I had to call for help.

Got home, drank orange juice, took potasioum pills. took a shower, layed in bed and cramped so bad I wanted to die.

That leg never did recover. It is weaker and more prone to spasm's than the other.

(up to the diving incedent, results are pending )

I think you can ride in high heat, but there are risks. If shit goes bad it can have lasting effects

• Heart 1

The last 2 centuries I rode both had 100 degree temps by the time we got to the finish. The first year I tried to ride steady and the heat came on like riding in a blow dryer! I filled both my water bottles at every SAG and still ran out 5 miles from the finish! I drank 2 more bottles of water from the cooler at the finish. Made friends with a very nice triathlete. 

The 2nd year the forecast was the same. You could do an out and back from either direction or ride the full distance either way. I chose to ride the full distance because my son lived close to the finish. WoW would meet me their with clean clothes and we would go to lunch. 

Several of my riding friends chose to do the out and back. We decided to work together to the halfway and I would see if anyone would work with me the rest of the way. We started as early as they would release us and made very good time trying to get as far as possible before the heat set in. We actually got to the first SAg before them. The halfway SAG was just getting there. My triathlete friend was on her TT bike and was already headed out (she did the out and back fro the other end).  I filled my bottles and caught 2 of her male team mates who were a bit behind her. They didn't know who I was and apparently took exception with me catching them so they took off. I kept my pace and caught them again. We were about 15 miles from the finish when they turned onto a side road. I just kept going to the finish. When I got there, triathlete friend was surprised I had caught her friends. 

I told her what happened and she burst into laughter saying their fragile egos were crushed. She asked me to stay and she razzed them unmercifully. They claimed a bike problem but she wouldn't have it!

Sure I feel the heat. Like others, I just make sure to hydrate and adjust my pace. 

• Heart 1