First Cross Race

Parr8hed

Venue was a state park in Indianapolis.  I drove up and it started raining about 20 miles south of the city.  Arrived, checked in and went out on the course to warm up.  Did two complete laps to warm up, probably should have done more.  I was racing in the Cat 4/5 35+

Was called up to start way in the back of the pack.  Guessing there were 70 people or so in my race.  I immediately passed about 12 or so people and got into position around the first corner.  Passed about 6 more on the first climb.  The course was mostly grass so I was hooking up great, powered up all of the climbs and felt great.  I cleared the obstacles fine.  Actually did better than a lot of others. 

The second lap was getting sketchy.  The course was turning to slop and my tires really limited me.  I had put my feet down at the top of a few climbs to get up them.

The 3rd lap was complete chaos.  Slipping all over the place.  The track was a muddy mess.I got gassed.  A dude passed me on the leadup to the finish line.  I just had nothing left.  I had to carry up a few hills just because I got no traction to ride up them.

Pretty sure I wasn't last but was near the back of the pack.  Results not posed yet.

What did I learn?  Tons:

1.  Nice shiny, pricey Ultegra 10 sp does not shift like nice shiny expensive Ultegra after the first lap in the mud.

2.  Tires, tires, tires.  I was riding tires better suited for grass or gravel or even hard pack.  I lost several places on tires alone.

3.  Don't stand up going up a hill in the mud.  You lose traction.  Keep your weight over the rear tires when it get's muddy.

4.  Warm up a lot more than you think you need to.

What will I do differently next time?

Carry more speed into the corners.

Be more agressive.

Continue to drop weight.

Ride a ton more trainer intervals.

Use different tires.

Need to start running some more.

I had a blast and can't wait to do it again.

• Heart 3

Ah, Fort Ben.  Lots of varied terrain.

Maybe I'm just nuts, but it seems MTB derailers would be better suited for those kind of conditions.  And yes, in slippery conditions you absolutely have to keep the back wheel weighted.  You should do some more mountain biking, I think it would probably help you a bunch.

And I now a lot of the guys at least around here that you would've been racing against are MTBers.  Once the DINO MTB season wraps they all go to Cyclo cross.

• Heart 1

Ah, Fort Ben.  Lots of varied terrain.

Maybe I'm just nuts, but it seems MTB derailers would be better suited for those kind of conditions.  And yes, in slippery conditions you absolutely have to keep the back wheel weighted.  You should do some more mountain biking, I think it would probably help you a bunch.

And I now a lot of the guys at least around here that you would've been racing against are MTBers.  Once the DINO MTB season wraps they all go to Cyclo cross.

I don't know about MTB dr's.  Just not sure of the difference.  I plan on doing more MTB'ing in the future.  Now that the kids are in school and I have more time to myslef through the day.  It's just hard when I have to go drive to a place to ride knowing I have great roads around here to ride just outside my door. 

A couple of other thoughts....

It was harsh.  I have heard how rough it could be but was not prepared for the jarring.  I even had the bars double wrapped.  Beat me up real good for just a 36 minute effort.

It used up all of my brake pads I had left.  They were far from new when I started, but they are gone now.

I don't know about MTB dr's.  Just not sure of the difference.  I plan on doing more MTB'ing in the future.  Now that the kids are in school and I have more time to myslef through the day.  It's just hard when I have to go drive to a place to ride knowing I have great roads around here to ride just outside my door. 

Completely understand that, last couple years, I'm lucky to see a dirt trail once a year.

There are definitely a lot of similarities between cyclocross and MTB though, like remembering to keep your back wheel weighted on a climb.  :D

• Heart 1

Completely understand that, last couple years, I'm lucky to see a dirt trail once a year.

There are definitely a lot of similarities between cyclocross and MTB though, like remembering to keep your back wheel weighted on a climb.  :D

Yep.  Moving your body around the corners as well I think would be a lot more like MTB'ing.  You don't do that so much on a roadie. And just picking lines around the course.

So results are in.  69 people started, 62 finished.  I started in 62nd place and finished 48th.  Honestly better than I expected I would do.

:1:

For first race, I'd call that a good result.  You finished and you weren't last.  My goal would've been to just finish and not be to far off the last guy in my first attempt or two.

• Heart 1