Moon day

Road Runner

No.  This is about the real moon, you perverts.

July 20, 1969.  One of the few dates in my life that I will never forget.  Hard to believe it has been almost 50 years.  

I'm pretty sure that most people that watched the landing would have never imagined that after the end of Apollo, humans would not have returned to the moon by now.  I probably thought we would at least have a colony on the moon by this point.  "2001, A Space Odyssey" was a minimum of what we expected.  Except for the monolith, of course.     :)

• Heart 2

I still have the scar on my left index finger from the day it took off.  We were camping and all sitting in the car listening to the takeoff on the car radio.  I was three and a half so sitting in the front between Mom and Dad.  I pushed in the cigarette lighter and when it popped I pulled it out and stuck my finger on it because it was such a pretty red.

My parents, who were literally RIGHT THERE, did not win any parenting awards that year

• Heart 4

I was just days away from turning 14.  I would have spent the entire day bailing hay for the farmer I worked for, riding my bike the 3 miles to the farm and 3 miles back at the end of a hot day.  I remember watching the coverage on our new color TV.  I was fascinated like the rest of the world.

Who knew at the time it was all a big fake.

• Heart 3

When they show the initial moon landing videos with the conversation between the lander and NASA today, they edit out the delay where Houston repeatedly said, "Come in, Eagle One" and there was no answer, the dust of landing obscuring communications or the attention to landing causing Armstrong and Aldrin to say nothing. I remember sitting on edge waiting for Armstrong to say, "Tranquility Base here. The Eagle has landed."

I still get a little teary eyed remembering those words and the explosive celebration that followed.

• Heart 1

1 hour ago, F_in Ray Of Sunshine said:

Silly rabbit. You DO get confused! Today's THURSDAY !

I taught gifted and talented high school chemistry and physics and, in trying to make sense of electrons behaving as both waves and particles and relativity, I would point out things we get so used to we don't question it but it's not really correct.

The naming of the first two days of our week after the Sun and Moon are obvious after a little thought. One we call "Sunday" and the other should be "Moonday."  How'd we get to "Mon?

Thursday is, of course, named for Thor, Saturday for Saturn, etc.  Every one except Sunday got corrupted.  Even my gifted and talented kids would usually all admit they'd never thought of it.

Of course, languages tend to change about 3% every 100 years, though I would think that the printing press, TV, etc. have slowed that down in the last several hundred years.

19 minutes ago, Square Wheels said:

My parents weren't even alive then.

JFC...thanks for making me feel senior

Did they make the Nixon resignation? How about the Summer of love? Disco?

other than the "Long Hot Summer" is was all fun & games. Well and Bobby Kennedy and MLK

Just now, Scrapr said:

JFC...thanks for making me feel senior

Did they make the Nixon resignation? How about the Summer of love? Disco?

other than the "Long Hot Summer" is was all fun & games. Well and Bobby Kennedy and MLK

I have no idea what you're talking about, my parent's grew up with Britney Spears and Justin Beber.

• Heart 1

1 minute ago, Kzoo said:

I think we got a color TV in about 68.  Before that it was a B&W world.  

We had a B&W early on. Early enough that I don’t remember it. It broke, my mother decided there was nothing on worth spending the money to fix or replace it, so my entire childhood and early adult life was mostly TV-free.

One of the few things my mother was quite correct about.

• Heart 1