Hey Roadies

Square Wheels

I got one of these.  I got one for my wife too.  I thought I'd like it.  Went on a short ride with it last night, I LOVE it.

Like most people riding on the road, I am weary of cars.  I look over my shoulder a lot.  While I will never stop doing that, now I get an advanced warning if cars are coming.

I guess when I bought it I felt like it would be gimmicky, I'm really surprised at how much I liked it.

• Heart 1

14 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

Is this Spam?

No, he made an investment in new technology, twice over, and provided a short summary of his first impressions.

1 minute ago, Reverend_Maynard said:

Not sure why a $5 mirror isn't better.

Because a $5 mirror is not a fancy do-dad new technology thingy.

ive seen these at the LBS I work at, a few riders use them and like them a lot. It doesn't do anything for me as I haven't had a car sneak up on me yet and I don't use a mirror either. I use my ears and occasionally glance back in sketchy locations. 

• Heart 1

Just now, 2Far said:

Yeah, there fersur, but I thought you posted that you felt it was too dangerous to ride on the road. Musta been someone else.

Nope, that was me.  My wife too.  I think we both miss it and are trying to ride a little more.  Since I started riding (maybe 5 years), this is definitely my worst year for miles.

One thing I have stopped is riding to work.  It was a great workout (30 miles each way), but far too life risking.  Boston is hardly safe in a car, never mind on a bike.

• Heart 2

1 hour ago, Square Wheels said:

Nope, that was me.  My wife too.  I think we both miss it and are trying to ride a little more.  Since I started riding (maybe 5 years), this is definitely my worst year for miles.

One thing I have stopped is riding to work.  It was a great workout (30 miles each way), but far too life risking.  Boston is hardly safe in a car, never mind on a bike.

You should move to Colorado or Oregon, I don't know why you mess with the cesspool of the east coast.  You can ride out there, people generally look out for riders there and tend not to view you as an inconvenience.

• Heart 1

How does it work with group rides?  If I'm at the end of a line I would want it to notify me of approaching vehicles.  If I'm in the middle of a pack I don't want it telling me I have bikes on my wheel.

I ride with a mirror on my glasses but anything to help he would be great.  I'm not ready to drop that kind of coin on the techno thinky.

22 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I use a mirror on my glasses.  I can see it being very useful in rural situations, but wonder if you would get information overload on city streets.

That was my thought.  We ride on pretty busy roads but they have well marked bike lanes.  That thing would be blinking constantly out here but I see the value in rural areas.

• Heart 2

21 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

How does it work with group rides?  If I'm at the end of a line I would want it to notify me of approaching vehicles.  If I'm in the middle of a pack I don't want it telling me I have bikes on my wheel.

I ride with a mirror on my glasses but anything to help he would be great.  I'm not ready to drop that kind of coin on the techno thinky.

Ya, but this is SW. He likey the techie!  :D 

• Heart 1

38 minutes ago, Kzoo said:

I usually ride alone.  It supposedly does not pick up bikes.  It will also show multiple cars.

17 minutes ago, smudge said:

Ya, but this is SW. He likey the techie!  :D 

What she said.

I get it, it's not for everyone, and it will not replace common sense.  I like it, you may not.

• Heart 1

I think it is cool to try new technology and see where the value is.  If this allows enough peace of mind to get on the bike again, then it is worth it for a lot of people.  

I definitely see the value of this if you have been hit or buzzed by cars, or live in an area hostile to riders.  Again, maybe not great in densely populated areas, but if you like to get to the far right when cars are close to you in rural areas, it would be great.

I like my mirror.  I'm not disparaging the technology.  What ever works to keep cyclists safe..

I like to see in my mirror that the driver is taking some action to avoid me/us as he approaches (moving to the left/slowing).  If I can see him early enough I might move to my left just a bit just to see if he reacts to me.  There are times that I miss cars back - the end of a long ride where I am concentrating on the effort or maybe on a hill.