Everyone's Mom made it..

Wilbur

My mom was a great cook...I have a couple of simple favorites...I mean yum roast beef...and dang just about everything she made..but when I am looking for comfort...a dish she made for my grandfather, cornmeal mush with sauerkraut and Polish sausage  is one...the other is a home made mac & cheese (I mean just velveeta) but I added my own twist by adding cottage cheese and tuna... that is probably another "comfort" dish....I am thankful that I paid attention in the kitchen and helped out....My mom died when I was 23...heck I was more of a cook at 23 than my sister is now...she never was in to it... So I can replicate some of my moms dishes..

• Heart 3

My Mom was a good cook but not a fancy one.  She had a bunch of recipes that were family staples.  I asked to borrow her recipe box one year, and then copied them all into a book I had spiral bound and gave a copy to my Mom and each of my sisters for Christmas.

• Heart 3

5 hours ago, ChrisL said:

My mom was an incredible cook and her knowledge of Indonesian cuisine was vast. But my favorite comfort food as a child had to be her Nasi Goereng, Indonesian fried rice.

Did she do it with a fried egg on top?

• Heart 1

Fried chicken, mashed potatoes and gravy and in the summer, corn on the cob! Mom wasn't a fancy cook, but she was never afraid to try new things. 

We had 1.5 acres of garden. Dad was always ordering new types of veggies just to see what they were. Mom would try to figure out how to cook them without Google or the wide variety of cookbooks available now. This is meat and potatoes land, mind you! Sometimes they were good. Others put me off a certain veggie for years!

• Heart 3

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

My parents had a pretty tight budget when us kids were young so Mom often made tuna casserole.  Mixed veggies fresh from the garden, a can of tuna mixed into a basic white sauce seasoned with salt, pepper and chives.  It was topped with toast points with a little bacon fat spread on them and the whole thing cooked in the oven.  So good, so cheap and my all time favourite meal.  She laughs about it today but I still make it once every couple of years. :)  

For us the cheap was buttered bread with sugar sprinkled on it......or bread with honey spread on it.  we got the honey right in the comb.

• Heart 1

2 minutes ago, maddmaxx said:

For us the cheap was buttered bread with sugar sprinkled on it......or bread with honey spread on it.  we got the honey right in the comb.

My grandmother made us butter and sugar sandwiches as kids.  That was luxury for her using both butter and sugar having lived through world war rations and a depression. 

2 hours ago, Wilbur said:

My parents had a pretty tight budget when us kids were young so Mom often made tuna casserole.  Mixed veggies fresh from the garden, a can of tuna mixed into a basic white sauce seasoned with salt, pepper and chives.  It was topped with toast points with a little bacon fat spread on them and the whole thing cooked in the oven.  So good, so cheap and my all time favourite meal.  She laughs about it today but I still make it once every couple of years. :)  

Yep. Tuna helper though. Mom would spread bread crumbs or potato(e) chips on top. We weren't especially well off. Though i did not realize it at the time. So Tuna helper & Hamburger helper were staples

The other things was Mom's strawberry jam. She always made it and gave the kids (and then their families) a bunch of tupperware containers. Just brings back memories of picking berries in the field w/her. I just last week finished the last container of jam that will ever be. She is in memory care and has not made jam for about 5 years. That was a sad day when i finished that container

• Heart 2

I think I was very fortunate growing up.  Like some of the others we were far from well off but my mom was such an exceptional cook we ate well with not alot of money spent on food and lots of fresh ingredients.  Nothing she made came out of a box or can.