Which ride tracking app should I use?

MoseySusan

Battery life has not been an issue for me.  Somewhere between 5 and 10% per hour of tracking, generally.

Here's a link to a ride.  https://ridewithgps.com/trips/16269811

Click the Metrics tab on the right side to see the moving time/total time, pace, etc.

You can also attach photos to a ride, but I don't do that very often, so I couldn't find a ride that had those to link to.

I use Strava for on the bike and for running. My iPhone seven never has an issue with battery if I charge it every night.  I use Enmondo for the kayak just because it lets you track kayaking. Strava has auto-pause that is supposed to separate total time from riding time but it keeps kicking back onto running time while you are stopped getting a drink or talking to someone. If I manually pause it when I stop it works great but I always forget to restart it so I leave it on auto and it shows my average speed around 6 mph. Lol.

I use the Strava app on my phone to track my run workouts, but they are relatively short... 30+ min for a 5K. I used to use my phone to track rides on my second bake, the Trek 1500.  I recently started to just use the Garmin 520 on that bike too.  When I did use the phone app I dont recall having a problem with auto pause

I've got a Garmin etrex 20 loaded with European maps that sits in a box. Biggest waste of money ever.

More trouble than it's worth.

Recently looked into getting a smartphone (yes I only have a dumb one) for navigation but it's too complicated and having to re-charge every day is a pain. Instead have downloaded Maps.me app and Irish maps to my Nexus 7 which I will carry turned off for use in emergencies. If I go to Portugal and Spain, which is a possibility later in the year, I can download those maps before I go.

17 minutes ago, az_cyclist said:

I dont recall having a problem with auto pause

Lol, that's because you don't pause as much as me. I stop and take pictures, go for a swim, have a beer, talk to a deer. After one of the updates Siri started audibly telling me when I paused and when I restarted, that's when I realized why my average time was so slow. I stop for lunch and all the while Siri keeps telling me stopping ride, starting ride, over and over all during lunch.

• Heart 4

I have a Garmin  310xt. It's old enough that I have to use an ANT stick connected to a PC to upload workouts. It automatically uploads to Garmin Connect and that automatically uploads to Strava. 

I used to use Dailymile, but they did an upgrade acouple years ago that killed my Garmin connection and I could never get it to work again. 

If you ride routes with a lot of Strava segments, it helps break down the ride so you can see how you did on various segments either against yourself or others. 

2 minutes ago, Longjohn said:

Lol, that's because you don't pause as much as me. I stop and take pictures, go for a swim, have a beer, talk to a deer. After one of the updates Siri started audibly telling me when I paused and when I restarted, that's when I realized why my average time was so slow. I stop for lunch and all the while Siri keeps telling me stopping ride, starting ride, over and over all during lunch.

I stopped for more pics when I was doing some rides at my son's place.  This past June I took my Garmin bike computer with me, but last year , and in the past, I just used my phone

• Heart 1

I use the Garmin Connect too.  It is automatically uploaded to Strava for me.  No one uses GC here so I like to go on Strava to check out potential routes etc

And it uploads my rides to the square head cycling group on Strava , which HARDLY ANYONE HERE TAKES PART IN!(including our fearless leader) :angry:

7 minutes ago, Zephyr said:

And it uploads my rides to the square head cycling group on Strava , which HARDLY ANYONE HERE TAKES PART IN!(including our fearless leader) :angry:

I needed to drop out.  I have a couple of people at work who follow me on Strava.  I visit Strava maybe a few times a year, I love Garmin Connect.

I use Map My Ride.  It works ok most of the time, but once it flipped out and had me at 57 MPH avg. :D  I think the pause feature works fairly well.  I never noticed if it has separate total trip time. 

It doesn't seem to drain the battery much over and above just having the GPS on.

On 7/24/2017 at 9:52 AM, Square Wheels said:

I am not very social and don't care much for the social aspects of Strava. 

I am. Bike club chick & I purposely rode a couple extra miles Sunday just so we could get a podium finish on our club's strava page for most miles for the week (got 2nd and 3rd):D Also, she went segment hunting and scored a QOM she's been after :ph34r:

• Heart 3